X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Taking the dive into PC building

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
    Who doesn't want more RAM?
    Personally, I love when I get some good ram. Lots of it.

sigpic

Comment

Because I can... therefore I must. (get my back on this, Cid)
      It's true. The only reason I don't have 32 GB of RAM is because it wouldn't fit with the cpu heatsink in the way.

With how cheap RAM is you really might as well fill it up and be done with it so you never have to worry about it ever again.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Exactly. Some day in the distant future, 16gigs will be the standard... and anything less will warrant a mocking. I want to be prepare a premptive strike for that day... right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Etra View Post
        Personally, I love when I get some good ram. Lots of it.

That's enough, Edie Beale.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
        99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
        99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

That's enough, Edie Beale.
          Wtf? You watch Drag Race?

I LOVE YOU EVEN MORE.

Anyways. Maybe you're better off starting for what you NEED more than what you WANT. New mobo? Sounds like you need it.
          sigpic

Comment

Wtf? You watch Drag Race?

I LOVE YOU EVEN MORE.

Anyways. Maybe you're better off starting for what you NEED more than what you WANT. New mobo? Sounds like you need it.
            Honestly? I watched season 1. I have a few friends whose alter-egos perform in shows... and season 1 proved amusing. Since then I haven't watched a single episode. Although I am familiar with Grey Gardens and Edie Beale... I only knew of the connection to Drag Race via Murphie's Facebook. He posted a link to the video titling it "The other contestants should be ashamed". I lol'd my face off.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
            99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
            99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Etra, Yyg is in to drag, don't let him cool ya
              75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
              RANK 10 Bastok
              CoP: Done
              ZM: Done
              ToA: Done
              Assault rank: Captain
              Campaign Medal: Medals
              Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
              This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Soooo... Looking for backup software that automatically deletes old backups, because the Windows 7 backup tool just keeps pilling the shit in there. Only one I found is Macrium Relflect, but that's, like, $50...
                sigpic

Comment

The only backup software I ever purchased to use at home was Acronis and that didn't do too well as I recall.

Personally I've given up on trying to deal with automated backups. At this point I just keep all my data on a separate RAID and anything I actually want to save long term gets offloaded onto an external drive which is then stuffed back in a box until such time as I want to access it again.

Comment

Can't you set it so it only keeps so many logs? I know Vista does that by default, not sure why they changed that for 7... after like, 3 or 4 I think it erases the oldest one with the newest.
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                      Can't you set it so it only keeps so many logs? I know Vista does that by default, not sure why they changed that for 7... after like, 3 or 4 I think it erases the oldest one with the newest.
                      Nope... Doesn't work like that at all. :c You have to manually delete old logs.
                      sigpic

Comment

You've probably got...I forget the term, incremental backup? There's one where it initially backs up the whole system and then subsequent backups save changes since the last backup. The problem with those is that you need every one of those subsequent smaller backups when the time comes to restore your system and you have to restore them one at a time until you restore back to where you were before everything went to hell. It's either incremental or differential, I forget which.

But yeah, you might need all of those old backups you are deleting.

- - - Updated - - -

Also: are you looking to back up your whole system configuration or just make sure your files survive when your OS dies?

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                          You've probably got...I forget the term, incremental backup? There's one where it initially backs up the whole system and then subsequent backups save changes since the last backup. The problem with those is that you need every one of those subsequent smaller backups when the time comes to restore your system and you have to restore them one at a time until you restore back to where you were before everything went to hell. It's either incremental or differential, I forget which.

But yeah, you might need all of those old backups you are deleting.

- - - Updated - - -

Also: are you looking to back up your whole system configuration or just make sure your files survive when your OS dies?
                          Windows doesn't support automatically deleting old backups. At least, through its standard backup function. Other (paid) programs do it, though.

Just need to backup photos, music, etc.
                          sigpic

Comment

If you just need to back up media files you should look into making a batch file to run a robocopy command. Put it on the task scheduler and have it run however often you like. It's really easy and free.

Open notepad and save the new file as BackupEtrasGifs.bat

Now put in the following line:

robocopy C:\GifFolder E:\BackupFolder /mir

This will copy all the gifs onto the backup drive and the /mir flag should make it so if you delete them out of the C:\ drive folder they'll also get deleted from the E:\ drive folder so you won't waste space saving unfunny gifs.

I'm going off memory here, so it might be a little off.

Comment

Nope... Doesn't work like that at all. :c You have to manually delete old logs.
                              Well, that's retarded.
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                                The difference there is that disk space does fill up and it's quite easy to fill too. To fill up 16 gigs you'd need to do something stupid like run Photoshop with a bunch of images and layers open or run a virtual machine while you play a game. It's just...why?
                                I've had 6gb of RAM for 5 years and haven't even come close to 80% usage. I agree, getting more RAM is pointless, especially since GPUs now come with better and faster memory and SSDs are mainstream.

Comment

Working...
                                X