Taking the dive into PC building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taking the dive into PC building

Yeah, it just creates it automatically when make your C: and makes it before making C:

This is in a HDD, because the disk is filled from the outside in since the outer "tracks" are much faster than the inner tracks in the same disk, because the HDD head can read more information in a single spin there.

In a SSD it matters not since all information is accessed differently, this also makes defrag unnecessary in a SSD.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

PS >

BTW I strongly advise against "performance boosting" techniques in your first installation attempt. There are already many things that can go poof or create driver/hardware incompatibility to add more uncertainty with improvements.

Once you get used to the process you can start messing around with things and burning motherboards (it's so much fun.)

PPS > I would also suggest something like this for your first attempt for a gaming rig:

C: Windows&Program files (200GB+)
    D: My documents (Depends on your needs, can be as big as you want, but preferably in a different disk)
    E: Temp files (for internet and downloads, and preferably in a small disposable separate disk or a different partition in one of the other disks)

Letters and disk sizes will vary according to your setup and preferences, but it's important for the temp files to be in a separate disk/partition, and if you are using an SSD you may want to put it in a separate cheap HDD altogether because temp files are changed and accessed way too often, so not only it makes fragmentation worse in a HDD if left with the system files, but in an SSD system it will theoretically increase the wear of disk from repeated read/writes of the SSD.

And although I doubt that is a problem with more modern SSDs I just would feel uneasy from all that usage. <_<;

This way should you mess up or simply want to try some improvements and end up needing to reinstall the OS you can do so without losing any files or complications on reinstall. Just make sure you unplug the additional disks until you have reinstalled the OS, the you can plug them again and go back where you were.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Thanks again for the suggestions. :3 I won't do any of the weird performance boosting techniques outside of the "4096" one, since it seems to be the general consensus that it NEEDs to be done (maybe not 4096, but with 1024 at least.) The others I'll just gloss over... lol Maybe after a month or two I'll try some of the others, but I'd like to see if any of the hardware dies (if it isn't DOA) or is faulty first.
      sigpic

Comment

You could use this for some ideas ... I have to find out what case this was.
        Attached Files

Comment

My case is a giant mess compared to that! haha My case doesn't have those nifty, uh, "starfish" (if you know what I mean... cough) plugs on the inside, only for wires leading out. Going to screw around with them tomorrow some more and see if I can't organize them better. Right now, everything is up and running! :D Formatting the HDD, but the SDD is super fast!

{Excitement}
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Etra View Post
            My case is a giant mess compared to that! haha My case doesn't have those nifty, uh, "starfish" (if you know what I mean... cough) plugs on the inside, only for wires leading out. Going to screw around with them tomorrow some more and see if I can't organize them better. Right now, everything is up and running! :D Formatting the HDD, but the SDD is super fast!

{Excitement}
            Ahh ... the smell of brand new PCB when you apply electricity through it. :D

Comment

Transferring all my files on a 4gig USB drive makes me sadface.
              sigpic

Comment

Transferring all my files on a 4gig USB drive makes me sadface.
                Wait ... why couldn't you just connect the drive to a second SATA port and transfer internally? Unless the original drive is dead and you're just restoring a backup.

It's about 20-30MBps over USB2 right? Gonna be a long evening for you Unless you have USB3 ...

Comment

It's about 20-30MBps over USB2 right? Gonna be a long evening for you Unless you have USB3 ...
                  From my experience cheap USB 2.0 flash drives don't cap out the USB 2.0 bandwidth. It's generally closer to 5-10 MB/sec.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
                    Wait ... why couldn't you just connect the drive to a second SATA port and transfer internally? Unless the original drive is dead and you're just restoring a backup.

The other files are on a laptop. :/ Don't know how to do that with a laptop to desktop, so just doing the USB thing. I got all my music, documents, and photos off in just a couple hours while playing Lost Saga. So, didn't really notice it going on, until I had to take a quick leave in between matches to setup another transfer.

I am having an issue with my windows IME now, randomly. I have Japanese and English installed (need it for work/studying/etc.), but the Japanese just comes up as boxes for some reason. I installed all the recent windows updates (except IE stuff. Ew) and it still won't appear. Restarted once and it did work yesterday, but turn my PC back on today and it's gone again. What's going onnnnnn. :C

Strange thing is, I can get into my ソーシャル・ネットワーキング サービス [mixi(ミクシィ)] account fine and all the Japanese on the page appears, but the tab name in Chrome is all boxes. Ugh.
                    sigpic

Comment

The other files are on a laptop. :/ Don't know how to do that with a laptop to desktop, so just doing the USB thing. I got all my music, documents, and photos off in just a couple hours while playing Lost Saga. So, didn't really notice it going on, until I had to take a quick leave in between matches to setup another transfer.

I am having an issue with my windows IME now, randomly. I have Japanese and English installed (need it for work/studying/etc.), but the Japanese just comes up as boxes for some reason. I installed all the recent windows updates (except IE stuff. Ew) and it still won't appear. Restarted once and it did work yesterday, but turn my PC back on today and it's gone again. What's going onnnnnn. :C

Strange thing is, I can get into my ソーシャル・ネットワーキング サービス [mixi(ミクシィ)] account fine and all the Japanese on the page appears, but the tab name in Chrome is all boxes. Ugh.
                      First of all, I use Google IME: Download Google Transliteration Input Method (IME)

Secondly, you'll need to setup your language in Windows. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Windows 7, so you'll have to find your own way to those particular settings (Probably labeled Regional Settings or Local Settings)

To clarify, you are adding an additional Keyboard option, not changing your default system language, which I would highly advise against as it will screw up your "non JP" software installation.

And finally, adding Google IME should help with Chrome's behavior, but beyond that, I use Firefox. This is what it looks like for me under chrome, though:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Aeni. :]

I ended up screwing around with font settings and it got worked out... For now, at least. haha
                        sigpic

Comment

How's your rig, Etra? I was curious about your experience building your PC, any issues you came across and whether or not you felt it was worth it (putting aside the general feeling of accomplishment)

I also found out that the case in the above picture I posted was of a Corsair brand, but wasn't able to pinpoint the exact model number. I am looking to build my own desktop, although it won't be for a year at the very least. I've settled on a case, though ...

Amazon.com: Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - CC-9011011-WW: Electronics

Comment

That case looks almost exactly line mine, minus the side fan, I think? Great case, though.

As for my experience, I cut myself twice trying to install the I/O panel before I yelled obscenities and threw it across the room, giving up on it. That's the only issue I had besides trying to figure out where all the plugs went. Was freaking out a lot with the motherboard, though. I didn't want to set it improperly on the grounding screws and kill it. x_x Otherwise, it was fairly simple...
                            sigpic

Comment

Sweetness. Yeah, I have had my anxieties mostly over installation of the motherboard, because I did have a bad incident where I shorted out a new one (Abit dual P2 board ... yes, let's not pile into the way-back machine all at once) I used to be paranoid and constantly had the anti-static wrist strap on. But the mobos (from reputable manufacturers) of today are bit more hardier than they used to be and I find myself grounding to a PC chassis enough of a safety precaution ... just stay away from wool and carpeting.

Comment

As long as you assembly it while naked to avoid static buildup you should be fiiiiine.
                                sigpic
                                "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                                Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                                X