Dennis Ritchie has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dennis Ritchie has died

Since we also had the Steve Jobs thread, it seems only appropriate to note that Dennis Ritchie has died. He was the creator the C programming language, a member of the Multics development group and one of the original 5 developers of UNIX at Bell Labs.

Every desktop system that we are all using right now, and a majority of the network services we use, has some part of it that he had a hand in originating.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Re: Dennis Ritchie has died

I didn't know of this man until just now. Those are some monumental contributions to computing. May he rest in peace.

Comment

I remember using that book that Dennis Ritchie wrote in my EE class way back then. I forgot what edition it was but I remember many of us were told it was the "holy book" on programming. I'll miss him and will always remember his contributions to computing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
        I remember using that book that Dennis Ritchie wrote in my EE class way back then. I forgot what edition it was but I remember many of us were told it was the "holy book" on programming. I'll miss him and will always remember his contributions to computing.
        What book is that? Sounds interesting.

Comment

The C Programming Language.

The C Programming Language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Methodologies and computers have changed, so it's not quite the be all and end all of books any more, but it is still one of the books to have for programming C.

If you do look for it, make sure to get the second edition that covers ANSI C. Unfortunately there wasn't a third edition to cover later updated standards to the language.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
            What book is that? Sounds interesting.
            Back then, in the early 90s, "The C Programming Language" was pretty much THE BOOK to own, along with David Patterson's/John Hennessy's "Computer Organization and Design: the Hardware/Software Interface". It was the foundation for Electrical Engineering (for those branching off into computing technology) I still have my copies here at home and would read them from time to time, if only just to think about how far we've come in the past 2 decades...

(David Patterson was a proponent of RISC as well as innovator of RAID)

Comment

Originally posted by Armando
              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
              Originally posted by Armando
              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
              Matthew 16:15

Comment

At least you know how I felt when Mother Teresa died and everyone was too busy paying attention to the media frenzy over a princess dying in a car crash.

Princess Di - met some poor people
                Mother Teresa - dedicated her life to charity

Though I think you're being just a bit unfair about Jobs here.

Comment

Both of your pat summaries of Diana and Mother Teresa are pretty off base.

Comment

Working...
                  X