Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 Developer Preview

Windows Metro Style Apps Developer Downloads

If anyone is ... interested. It really does require at least 1 GB of ram so if you are trying this on an old PC, might want to reconsider. It was kind of slow on a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. There's two modes: desktop and lolsmartphone. I'm wondering if large display touch screens will have a market.

Re: Windows 8 Developer Preview

I would like to try this, but I don't have a spare PC to test it out on. That it it really is just Win7 with a new touch interface, so I don't see any big improvement in resource use, in fact I am sure there is a bigger hit in it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
      I would like to try this, but I don't have a spare PC to test it out on. That it it really is just Win7 with a new touch interface, so I don't see any big improvement in resource use, in fact I am sure there is a bigger hit in it.
      Not quite. There is a new UI API and win32 got several updates. It doesn't boot into explorer, that is just an app. It is being developed for ia32/64 and ARM. Unlike OS X, Windows 8 on ARM will not run Intel compiled applications. Applications can be written in win32/64, Metro, Javascript and .Net.

Apps have a full screen mode that hides the taskbar and start menu if you're in the Windows 7 desktop app. At the moment getting back and forth between the traditional desktop, even in and out of metro apps is a little on the irritating and touchy side right now. Metro versions of full Windows apps are basically lighter versions. For instance Metro IE won't run plugins (i.e. Flash, Java), to do that you have to run the battery draining Windows 7 desktop app and full IE in that.

It also has a new Sad Face of Death. You'll probably see it if you try to run this preview release in a virtual machine.
      Windows 8 BSOD now includes a sad face | WinRumors

It performs quite well for a developer preview.
      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
        It also has a new Sad Face of Death. You'll probably see it if you try to run this preview release in a virtual machine.
        Windows 8 BSOD now includes a sad face | WinRumors
        First time I've ever been enticed by a new windows feature.
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I can't afford to upgrade my OS right now. Please delay.

Comment

I'm still resisting the push to leave XP. What does Windows 8 offer that would make it worth the cost of switching?
            Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
            Name: Drjones
            Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Security patches beyond 2012 and better all round security in general.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

That's like the one improvement I can't argue with. How does it stack up against Windows 7 in that respect? Still miles ahead of the game?

Comment

7 and 8 have very similar security guards. Either is a good upgrade from xp, it's upgrading from 7 to 8 that would be a hard sell

loose

Comment

Good to know. I'll probably shift to Windows 7 next year then. I'm not keen to adopt a brand new Windows OS before the first service pack without some really compelling features.

Comment

To be honest, there was no reason to not install 7 the moment it was released other than the price. It is a very good system.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                        Well, I don't use Win 7, and I can't comment regarding the particular machine I installed on it since I didn't have enough ram to further evaluate. However, from what I've seen so far, it's a fairly big leap from Vista, so take that with a grain of salt. As far as system resources is concerned, like I said, it could run on that laptop with 512mb of ram. You're required to have 1gb and possibly 2gb would be the recommended option. That being said, it's way less of a memory hog than Vista (and by extension, 7) and require less CPU power (1ghz) so that alone means that it runs far more efficient than Windows 7. Plus, Microsoft released more "additions" or features just recently, you'll just need to poke around your favorite tech news sites to get the details.

Comment

mmm interesting another leap on performance and lower system specs then even win7...... I might have to give this a shot after all
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Working...
                          X