Computer heating up the room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer heating up the room

So I recently noticed that my room is very hot. I only have a laptop and a computer running. I tried buying curtains for my window b/c I thought it was the sun shinning directly into the room, but it is still getting hot. I was wondering if there is anything I can do about this. Will water cooling help? Thanks

Re: Computer heating up the room

No expert, but I highly doubt it. The heat from your computer, if that is the problem, has to go somewhere. Cooling it with water would just mean moving the heat from your computer into the room differently.

Awesome sig, btw. Haven't seen that work in a long time.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Besides what Taskmage said, laptops consume negligible power and I don't think your desktop PC is the main contributor of heat in the room unless it's incredibly power-hungry (more power = more heat) and running on full load all the time or your room is incredibly tiny. You can get a good feeling of how much power a PC needs by the Wattage of its power supply (no one's gonna blow a 800W power supply for a PC that consumes 350 Watts when a 450W PSU will be cheaper and still get the job done.)

Since closing the curtains didn't help I'm going to assume you're on the top floor of the building and the heat is seeping in from the roof. That or your room isn't getting any ventilation at all. Either way odds are you're not going to get out of this one without investing in either air conditioning or a cool roof or something of the sort. If that's not an option then you're gonna have to do things the old-fashioned way: buy a nice, powerful fan and/or keep your shirt damp at all times (the latter works wonders but will require you to re-dampen the shirt every couple of hours and is not suitable for being around company. Same principle as sweating except you won't dehydrate or get thirsty.)
      Last edited by Armando; 08-09-2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

My PC is overclocked and adds a significant amount of heat to my bedroom. When I turn it off at night, it takes only a few minutes to notice the difference in temperature. Water cooling wont help, because it's still cooling the computer by moving heat from the inside to the outside. It may do it slightly more effectively than other means, but the principle is the same. Move the computer out of the room, or keep it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Zempten View Post
          So I recently noticed that my room is very hot. I only have a laptop and a computer running. I tried buying curtains for my window b/c I thought it was the sun shinning directly into the room, but it is still getting hot. I was wondering if there is anything I can do about this. Will water cooling help? Thanks
          It really depends on the temperature outside and the air circulating inside the room. An indoor/outdoor thermometer will help you greatly to figure out what to do.

If it's usually cooler outside, say 20°C, and your room is 30°C then the solution is as simple as ensuring a good air distribution using things like an air extractor to displace the hot air.

If it's cooler inside, or if it's too hot outside for normal ventilation to work anyway then your best bet would be buying a Mini split AC unit for your room. Installation is extremely easy and it can also help you control the humidity inside the computer room, which is always a plus. But it all depends on your budget due to electric bills.
          sigpic
          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Additionally, I use the fan linked below, and it's a godsend. I've had it for about four years now without issue, and it's kept me cool regardless of the ambient temperature.

Amazon.com: Lasko 52" Oscillating Pedestal Fan: Home & Garden

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
              My PC is overclocked and adds a significant amount of heat to my bedroom. When I turn it off at night, it takes only a few minutes to notice the difference in temperature. Water cooling wont help, because it's still cooling the computer by moving heat from the inside to the outside. It may do it slightly more effectively than other means, but the principle is the same. Move the computer out of the room, or keep it off.
              I thanked this... because it was helpful and didn't include any kind of flaming. Normally that isn't enough to make me thank something... but after I saw who wrote it... I had to.

Perhaps encouraging the good behavior may indeed produce the desired effect repeatedly.

Maybe... just maybe Pavlov was wrong, internet.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Also this:

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
              Additionally, I use the fan linked below, and it's a godsend. I've had it for about four years now without issue, and it's kept me cool regardless of the ambient temperature.

Amazon.com: Lasko 52" Oscillating Pedestal Fan: Home & Garden
              My buddy has the same fan, so I have to second Dak's suggestion. It's definately awsome.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
              99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
              99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

/tangent

Re: Yygdrasil's sig: OMG he's found a way to clone himself!
                /cower

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

THanks for the tips guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X