Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make your PC faster...if you are an idiot. Mew this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make your PC faster...if you are an idiot. Mew this...

Upgrade Your Life: How to speed up your PC (or Mac) - Yahoo! News

oh ya this might be helpful info.

Re: faster PC faster speed? mew?

This is stuff anyone who is computer literate should already know.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
      This is stuff anyone who is computer literate should already know.
      "Tips" 5, 6, 7, and 8 are also pretty much bullshit and are just parroted by people who want to look like they know things.
      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by jenova_9 View Post
        No, it's not helpful. J9 fail.

Comment

Step 5 was relevant when Win 95 used to take up 50% of the average PC's hard drive. Heck, none of this matters anymore post XP. You get better performance with adding more ram or just chucking that PC out and getting a new one ...

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
            Step 5 was relevant when Win 95 used to take up 50% of the average PC's hard drive. Heck, none of this matters anymore post XP. You get better performance with adding more ram or just chucking that PC out and getting a new one ...
            I think step 5 is just worded (and implemented) poorly.

What they should be telling people is to put My documents (music, video, etc.) in a separate partition, or better yet, HDD(s) than the OS/Programs partition/disk. Since it does indeed improve not only performance but also makes it easier to defrag and keep your files safe in case you need to reinstall your OS, which happens fairly often if you are keeping your PC well maintained.

And as with the rest it's just very (very) basic advice for people who aren't much into computers.

So... I don't really see what's wrong with posting about it.

I mean maybe it can be of use for someone.
            sigpic
            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Re: How to make your PC faster...if you are an idiot. Mew this...

How to make your PC faster...if you are an idiot. Mew this...
              Alright, who changed the title?

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
              What they should be telling people is to put My documents (music, video, etc.) in a separate partition, or better yet, HDD(s) than the OS/Programs partition/disk. Since it does indeed improve not only performance but also makes it easier to defrag and keep your files safe in case you need to reinstall your OS
              This is significantly more headache then it is worth for most people. Windows and Windows apps expect the users home directory to be in <windowsrootdrive>/Documents and Settings/<user> on XP or <windowsrootdrive>/Users/<user> on Vista/7 and a good number have issues when it is not. The performance boost is also negligible.

Unless your backing your files up to an external device, they are not safe. Numerous times I have personally seen installers touch disks and partitions they were not supposed to.

That setup is work with very little reward.

which happens fairly often if you are keeping your PC well maintained.
              A PC that needs to be regularly reinstalled is pretty much the opposite of a well maintained system.
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

From time to time you are going to want to make a clean reinstall anyway, no matter how well maintained your system is.

Also, I guess it depends on what programs you are using, but I have yet to see a single app touching other partition from the same disk, leave alone a separate HDD. So except for creating a folder for specific apps (since some do indeed expect your Documents to be on C: ) there really aren't many complications with moving Docs to another location.

On the other hand installing programs in partitions other than C: does indeed bring a lot of headaches that are not really worth it, but that's a separate issue.
                sigpic
                "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

From time to time you are going to want to make a clean reinstall anyway, no matter how well maintained your system is.
                  This has been shown to be less and less effective because of several technological innovations that are implemented into modern hard drives, in particular, those that are also able to be setup in RAID as well as having improved S.M.A.R.T. mechanisms and the addition of processors on board the drive housing which helps keep things running smoothly. The problems of 20 years ago just cannot be included in any serious discussion of system maintenance anymore.

The overall lifecycle of the average gaming PC is probably around 24 months give or take a few months. Contrast this to a time when people would obesess about getting the best parts and not having to worry about an upgrade for another 48 months or more back in the days. So, by the time you are looking to get things running fast again, you're looking at a potential candidate for either an upgrade or a completely new system.

What has been shown effective then and is still relevant today is not skimping out on RAM and adding more if you do not have very much is still the better bang for your buck then having to wipe and reload every 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                    Alright, who changed the title?
                    I have no idea......
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X