New D-Link Router isn't supporting FFXI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New D-Link Router isn't supporting FFXI

Hi there. After a feirce thunderstorm I had to put my 2Wire modem/router down and replaced it today with a D-Link DSL-2642B. To start with it wouldn't even let my Xbox connect to XBL without a firmware update, but now that that's been installed I'm able to log back into FFXI.

The only problem is, after about 2 minutes I get the red-bubble over my Ls (the connection never goes R-0 though - go figure) and soon after it just quits, with warnings of FFXI-4002 error (timeout detected). It's driving me nuts - does anyone know a few simple (sorry, I'm completely thick when it comes to programming these things through their manemgment pages) to change the settings to allow FFXI to be supported? Thank you in advance!

Re: New D-Link Router isn't supporting FFXI

Try this and see if it helps, might be a port issue.

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gam...blems-faq.html
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Takun View Post
      It's driving me nuts - does anyone know a few simple (sorry, I'm completely thick when it comes to programming these things through their manemgment pages) to change the settings to allow FFXI to be supported? Thank you in advance!
      So...

Originally posted by Takun View Post
      After a feirce thunderstorm
      Internet is okay enough to support online gaming? People won't notice problems just posting to a forum. Browsers have inherent mechanisms in place to keep you connected even if your connection is disrupted and other apps do this as well. Online games, however, are very susceptible to disruptions, because the trip system coded into the server side of things will immediately boot off anyone perceived as "losing connection" since it cannot afford to keep track of each and every individual connection that may or may not recover (i.e., think of it as a thread you create everytime you log on to a system and that thread could potentially "snap" if it is too stressed) I've noticed this time and time again and not just with FFXI/FFXIV, but other games as well. Even if your status goes back to green from red, there's almost always a delay in then getting completely cut off from the system.

So, try another online game, see if the problem persists there. If you don't own any other, try doing something else, like testing your internet speed or something to see if you're losing packets.

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
      Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test

If everything checks out good when the next time you start seeing problems in FFXI then you should go look into other areas besides your connection. If it doesn't come out well, then it's a sign that either your NIC, wiring or the CO box or telcom wiring outside the home was affected. That would require research into those parts and/or a call to your ISP/telcom to help you sort the issue out.

Comment

Ah, no worries now, thanks. It turns out it was just too weak to support my 360 entirely (and re-educating myself to play FFXI on the PC is a pretty short term solution considering my whole console library was suddenly unavailable), so I just got anew wired modem/router from Deals Direct and returned the D-Link.

Comment

Working...
        X