Originally posted by Yygdrasil
    Originally posted by Nandito
    Ponies.

Duh.
    You make me want to hurt things.

Comment

Re: Oh god, google

What the? ....
      /whoosh I have no idea what that video was about.
      I did see a few of those dodgy jp smilies though.
      Was I meant to see smilies?

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

It showed off several very nicely polished features for entering several kinds of words/smilies/data in Japanese, including customization. And it's completely integrated with Google's search and web apps.

In particular, at the start the video made a pretty big deal out of the ability to convert dates between Gregorian calendar and Japanese calendar (and between numeric/mix-Kanji-number time representation), which (I guess) the major operating systems like Windows and Macintosh don't do. Even given what little I know of Japanese, it was of those "Oh, why doesn't everyone else already do this?!" moments.

They are really a bunch of smart "Duh, no brainer!" features that everyone else should have already to make Japanese text entry a more intuitive, less frustrating experience, but I guess they don't.
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I would only really use the 「今」 feature. lol Outside of e-mails, none of the other features interest me... And the 片仮名 to English feature is wasted on native English speakers -- that can properly spell.

Still quite nifty, though. Too bad English isn't capable of such advancements due to our lack of the drop-down box.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Etra View Post
            And the 片仮名 to English feature is wasted on native English speakers
            Not necessarily. When you do a lot of typing in Japanese, there are occasions when you want to have a word show up in roman text, while still not having to leave Japanese mode. usually there's a hotkey to switch to roman text, but I know I for sure can think of some words that would be quicker to just put in katakana and let the machine take care of.

Comment

Working...
            X