Heatsink questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatsink questions

What's the best orientation for a heatsink? I understand that the pipes are filled with a liquid, but I'm unsure of whether or not the liquid is free to run the length of the entire pipe, or if it's segmented in any way. I've heard a top-to-bottom orientation will pool the liquid at the bottom, which will inhibit heat transfer, but is this really the case? Would a side-to-side orientation provide a significant improvement?

Re: Heatsink questions

Usually a compressor is running which administers to the liquid being transferred through the pipes and insure that it does not "sit" in one place where it would become ineffective in carrying heat out of the affected area as well as increasing the likelihood that condensation could occur (and therefore damage sensitive components in the surrounding area)

Definitely read the articles here: The Heatsink Guide - All about PC cooling

Covers various cooling methods and go into the science behind making your own solutions, including water cooling, among other things.

Comment

Re: Heatsink questions

So, it doesn't seem how far I overclock the CPU, the idle temperature is about 44C. Between 160MHz and 185MHz, the temperature under stress appears to hover around 65C-70C. Not bad. Right now I'm sitting on 4GHz easy, but I'm going to take it apart and make sure this thing is installed as best as it can be. I'll probably run a few tests to make sure it's stable, but everything looks good so far.

Comment

Working...
      X