Time to resintall Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to resintall Windows?

So, I'm messing around with this whole SLI thing and, the other day, I decided to update my DirectX drivers. For some reason, the computer hard locked sometime during the installation, and now I can't seem to play DirectX games. Starcraft 2 crashes my entire computer when I start it, and Left 4 Dead 2 reports a crash without taking everything else with it. I can still play DA:O and Alien Swarm, so I'm not really sure what's up. There's no utility to use for installing, uninstalling, and/or repairing DirectX, so I think my last option is to reinstall Windows 7. Unfortunately, this means backing up all my files or letting them go.

Any advice?

Re: Time to resintall Windows?

Download the DirectX standalone update installer. There is probably an August 2010 one somewhere on MS site.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Here's June 2010

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Thanks, I'm currently backing up some key files... I think. I'm not really sure how, but Windows is attempting to fit 12GB of files onto a 4GB flash drive. Right now I'm uninstalling and reinstalling, just in case that does anything. I'll test that and this DirectX installer. Not sure what other options I have, so I'll probably wipe everything tomorrow if necessary.

Comment

I'd say, wipe and reload, considering your PC is still relatively new and there shouldn't be too much there. Unless you transferred that hard drive from a previous PC ...

Comment

I'm mostly concerned with my eclectic taste in music, since most of it can't be bought anymore or took me forever to collect. That, and my personalize mIRC client that I've been using since forever.

Plus, I'm afraid AIM has another new client that's going to rape my eyes...

Comment

Is that hard drive the same one from your other PC with a previous installation of Windows? This could be your source of problems. Also, you can always just throw that hard drive as HDD1 ... and get another for HDD0 and try to see if that solves your problem (fresh install of Win)

Comment

Installing that version of DirectX didn't help, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Tomorrow, I'll probably head out to Best Buy, swallow my pride, purchase a new HDD, and use that as a back-up.

Also, while rooting around inside my computer I realized there's a slot for a fan at the very front of the case, where the HDDs sit. Neat.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                Also, while rooting around inside my computer I realized there's a slot for a fan at the very front of the case, where the HDDs sit. Neat.
                Oh that's super nice ... keeps the HDD cool as well. I think I need to buy your case.

Comment

My case has been neat, but the clips for the expansion cards are retarded and break easily.

Anyways, I'm running a whole bunch of repair tools, today, as a final attempt to fix whatever went wrong. Everything reports that it's running fine so I have no idea where to pinpoint the problem. All I really know is that this crash first began when updating DirectX. I'm resintalling both Starcraft 2 and L4D2 to see if that makes a difference.

One only difference in how they crash is that Steam reports that my GTX 460 is an unknown and unsupported graphics card, but I have the feeling I've played L4D2 on it before. It was probably the first game I tested the card on when I bought it. I'm not sure why it would give me problems, all of a sudden. Starcraft 2 simply locks my computer and forces me to perform a hard reset.

Comment

Since you have Windows 7 installed (and I'm assuming it's a fresh install) then you need to make sure you manually install Direct X 9.0c. Windows 7 did not come with the full implementation of this older DX library because they felt that most of the developers would move on to DX11. This hasn't happen in droves yet and most of them haven't even adopted DX10 either. What you have going on right now is that a lot of people are unaware of this issue and do not have DX9 on their machines.

Get the complete and full end user SDK from their website. Do not make excuses, just do it. This is required to run FFXIV, SC2 and many, many other titles, past and present. Again, I have to reiterate this important statement. Mainstream DX11 titles, notably games, will not be released within the next year or two or even three. There's just not enough development houses that have decided to invest in this new code path and it is a really huge investment because it usually means upgrading older equipment. With the economy in shambles and shareholders screaming for blood, the heads of various studios have decided to try to make do with what they have instead of continuing to spend exorbitant amounts of money on random titles. In the meantime, we should expect to see the usual productive and design software come out within the next few months that fully support DX11.

Also, the Fermi chip that was designed into GTX 460 has had some elements of DX10 either disabled or not included at all. They were pressured, due to lower than expected yield quantities, to be as efficient as possible in the design. Nvidia engineers discovered that removing unwanted features and support made their chip power efficient and cooler and allowed room to add additional CUDA and other processors. So installed DX10 is useless at this point unless you have a very, very oddball application that requires it. I don't believe StarCraft 2 is a DX10 title so you won't need to worry about that.

Comment

I ran Furmark's stability test on my GPUs last night and blew out my power supply. Fun times, but I think I'm taking things too far. I'm going to salvage what I can and stop trying to push things...

Mhurron already linked me to the DX9 thing, so that's good to go. I guess I'll forget about SC2 for now.

Comment

I ran Furmark's stability test on my GPUs last night and blew out my power supply.
                        Uh ... what brand power supply and what was the wattage? Yikes man ...

Comment

700W, but Furmark is supposed to do that...? I didn't know it when I ran it, but it's supposed to pull a lot of power to the GPU.

Comment

700W, but Furmark is supposed to do that...? I didn't know it when I ran it, but it's supposed to pull a lot of power to the GPU.
                            Well, what is the brand PSU? I feel it very strange that a 700W PSU would burn out despite it being over the minimum required for a 2x GTX 460 setup. Very odd.

* Edit: Unless you're running either a Palit special OC or that import, Jet something or other, which both run really hot and requires a nuclear power plant to run.

Comment

Anyways, maybe I should get a blog for all the crap.

The PSU in there now is 750watt, and, luckily, I didn't burn anything out. I also got SC2 running again, somehow. I was going through each one of my games to check if they were running, and BF2142 told me it couldn't run in the current kernal debugging mode, so I turned that off, restarted, and SC2 worked as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X