Intel Macbook Backlight Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Macbook Backlight Issue

So, I have a two (going on three) year old white Intel Macbook that I bought for school. A few months ago the back light started acting up. It would go out for minutes, and then hours at a time. Now it's out pretty much full-time (except when I start it up again, or wake it from sleep). I've been getting by via a connection to my LCD TV, but it's not a perfect solution, as it makes my laptop a desktop, effectively, and it also means that I can't use it at night, because that shit is bright as hell, and it bugs my roommate.

I've figured out that it's either the inverter board, or the inverter power cord. Both of which are relatively inexpensive components to purchase ($50 and $30 or so, respectively). My concern is in my ability to actually open up my Macbook and replace them myself. I have large, clumsy, very (very) shaky hands. I'm not really in a place to buy a new Macbook, so I don't want to fuck it up.

Has anyone ever made this fix before? If so, is it relatively simple, and thus worth trying, or too complicated to bother with, and worth my paying the extra money to take it to a repair shop? (I did this earlier in the year when my magsafe port died.)

Basically I would hate to fuck my computer up, but I'd also hate to pay someone else to do something if I can do it myself. Thoughts?

Re: Intel Macbook Backlight Issue

If it's not dealing with the hard drive, battery or memory, it's something of a pain in the ass requiring a full disassembly of the damn thing.

FYI, the issue is usually the inverter board.

I haven't done it myself.

Directions:
    Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Display - iFixit

Discussion:
    [ame=http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=577210]How do i change a macbook 13" inverter board - Mac Forums[/ame]
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Yeah, I've seen the vids for how to take it apart, and it just seems like a bitch to get in there. And I just know I'd break something. I guess it's off to the repair shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
        So, I have a two (going on three) year old white Intel Macbook that I bought for school. A few months ago the back light started acting up. It would go out for minutes, and then hours at a time. Now it's out pretty much full-time (except when I start it up again, or wake it from sleep). I've been getting by via a connection to my LCD TV, but it's not a perfect solution, as it makes my laptop a desktop, effectively, and it also means that I can't use it at night, because that shit is bright as hell, and it bugs my roommate.
        My cousin had his backlight just go out the other day. Sounds like your inverter (the power supply for the backlight) has gone bad.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=macbook 13 inverter"]macbook 13 inverter - Google Search[/ame]

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=inverter 922-7375"]inverter 922-7375 - Google Search[/ame]

Use this page to verify your model from the serial number. To get the serial number, Apple menu -> About this Mac -> click on the "Version 10" text twice:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

These guys seem to actually have some in stock:

MacBook Display Inverter (922-7375, 922-8280) - iFixit

But if you don't think you can do the installation yourself (it's not hard, just tedious, needs lots of precision and keeping track of the screws, etc. as you remove them) then I guess you'll have to take it to Apple for repair. From descriptions I've seen, it's also possible that a cable to it is loose. If you've got more skill than money, you could take it apart, tighten the connections, and see if that helps.

Given past history with endemic problems like these after the warranty period ends, it is entirely possible that if you take it to Apple for repair, a few months later they might even refund everybody for it.
        Last edited by Elwynn; 08-13-2010, 04:06 PM.
        Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
        99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
        F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
        >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
          needs lots of precision and keeping track of the screws, etc. as you remove them
          and honestly, I don't think I've ever had a project where I didn't end up with bonus screws. Most consumer electronics have more screws in them than they need to stay together.

Comment

Oh, I won't be taking it to Apple for repair. They charge way too much money to fix shit. We have two local shops that are far more reasonable (and specialize in mac repairs). When I had a problem earlier this year I took mine to one of them and it was super easy. I'm hoping this particular repair won't be so tough.

If it were an older laptop I'd just buy a new one (Solid Body, plz), but it's only two years old. That'd be silly.

Comment

Yeah, so...

I took it in to be repaired. Was supposed to cost $150 to replace the inverter. But then (!) they discovered that it's actually the screen bulbs or whatever that are broken. Which is, like, $500 to replace. I am not willing to put $500 into this thing. So I'm going to just keep it as-is (I mean, I can still use it), and get a Macbook Pro next month.

However, and I think I already know the answer, but is there anything I can do with this thing once I no longer need it? Other than use it as a paperweight.

Comment

Put it up on Craigslist. I bet you can sell it no problem. I wouldn't know what to tell you as far as pricing it though.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Working...
                X