Multi Booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi Booting

Ok I will admit I am a Windows user, and never really learned the other two main OSs

I have used them but it was a good while back and I hardly remember a thing about them. I was wondering what would be the best way to multiboot 3 diffrent OSs

HDD0 has Windows 7 on it

HDD1 partition 0 will have Umbuntu

HDD1 partition 1 will have Mac OS Snow Lepeard

I have Disks for all three, and everything, but I dont want to screw anything up lol....... Figured I would as here before I tried to do anything.

If I am going to be a good Network Tech (going to class for that now) I want to learn how to use all three OSs so I wont have any problems helping whoever I need to.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Re: Multi Booting

Grub Boot loader is all I remember from my days of having more than one OS on a machine.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

look here:

GNU GRUB - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)
      signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

sweet thanks, will look into this link-thingy

Comment

Actually the absolute easiest way is virtualization, VMWare, VirtualBox and whatnot. However if you are going to do it with multiple HDD, the next easiest way is to not mess with grub and use removable drive caddies. This is especially true when you will probably be reinstalling a lot. I recommend this for learning. That or buying several old machines. Can't actually have them talking to each other when they can't run at the same time.

If you are going to use multiboot, installation order is important. This document seems to have the order down pat. It's older and covers installing OS X onto a Intel Mac, but the basic order looks right.

BTW, OS X isn't really that important to know unless you plan on getting a job in publishing or graphics. Either way, basic UNIX skills are really all you need at first. It's also against the EULA to install OS X on anything not branded by Apple

Also, you won't learn anything if you don't screw it up.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
            Also, you won't learn anything if you don't screw it up.
            Ain't that the truth...
            Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
            Name: Drjones
            Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

If you're looking on just getting a daily understanding of OSX and Ubuntu, can I make a recommendation?

(this completely ignoring how you're going to get OSX to run on your PC, which I assume is not a Mac; it's been done, it's a bit of a pain last I checked, which was a long time ago admittedly)

Instead of having three partitions, have four. Windows, OSX, and Ubuntu, plus a fourth "Storage" partition. Use the storage partition to store your videos, music, pictures, documents, etc. Then you don't have to worry about losing them if you fuck up one installation, and you can easily access it from all of your different OS.

You can also do something similar if you decide to screw around with multiple linux distros: have a partition for each install, plus a partition for /home/ (I've heard of people having different partitions for other directories too, but not sure on the details of how that works). loading up the same /home/ on each distro will keep your basic user settings the same, so you don't have to constantly mess with your preferences in firefox and so on. Plus the same file storage benefit as the above.

Comment

Oh, and Ubuntu is going to teach you dick all. It is designed to hid the OS from the user.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                  If you're looking on just getting a daily understanding of OSX and Ubuntu, can I make a recommendation?

(this completely ignoring how you're going to get OSX to run on your PC, which I assume is not a Mac; it's been done, it's a bit of a pain last I checked, which was a long time ago admittedly)

Instead of having three partitions, have four. Windows, OSX, and Ubuntu, plus a fourth "Storage" partition. Use the storage partition to store your videos, music, pictures, documents, etc. Then you don't have to worry about losing them if you fuck up one installation, and you can easily access it from all of your different OS.

You can also do something similar if you decide to screw around with multiple linux distros: have a partition for each install, plus a partition for /home/ (I've heard of people having different partitions for other directories too, but not sure on the details of how that works). loading up the same /home/ on each distro will keep your basic user settings the same, so you don't have to constantly mess with your preferences in firefox and so on. Plus the same file storage benefit as the above.

ah yeah I do that already, I just did not list them ;p

I have 4 HDDs in my system

my main OS HDD, Media HDD, and my ISO backup HDD, then this 4th one that will have Ubu/Mac on it.

Oh, and Ubuntu is going to teach you dick all. It is designed to hid the OS from the user.
                  I might have to install another version of Linux then, so I can learn more about Linux then what Ubu will teach me.

Comment

Your mileage may vary. It certainly does try to hide it, but any OS is going to have the occasional rough edge that needs working out. Ubuntu may as well be called Linux With Lube. It'll go down easier, but if you're opposed to the general concept you're probably still not going to have a good time.

Comment

Slackware - Definition

And when you think you know it, install a BSD and get all the Linuxisms out of your head.

Of course professionally, you'll be more running into RHEL, of which CentOS is a free reroll of, or Debian if it was done on the cheap. Either way, if you can get it done in Slackware, its just easier from there.

loose

Comment

Slackware - Definition
                        To continue the above metaphor:

Ubuntu is to lubed as Slackware is to <Um...no Feba...just no - TGM>
                        Last edited by TheGrandMom; 07-20-2010, 07:28 PM.

Comment

eep........

Comment

I like how the image's file name contains the word "thor."

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                              I like how the image's file name contains the word "thor."
                              That's the name of the product.

One of this forum's regulars showed it to me some years ago. Apparently he was working in an adult toy shop at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X