Looking for decent laptop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for decent laptop.

Anyone know of any website that will sell a laptop that can run FFXIV for around the $400 range?

I want it to be lightweight and be able to run for a long time while gaming, and NOT over heat like my current one has a habit of doing so. Running WoW on this machine causes it to overheat and eventually crash after about 2 hours of play time. And the lap top gets to a point of almost burning me when I use it for an extended period of time.

I do not want that to happen when playing FFXIV. So, if anyone has any suggestions for a decent computer around the $400 range and a link to it, I would appreciate that (It has to be a lap top though not those little tiny notebooks that looks like they can be crushed with a tiny bit of pressure placed on the keypad.). I want it to be able to run FFXIV smoothly. Thank you.

Re: Looking for decent laptop.

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
    I want it to be lightweight and be able to run for a long time while gaming, and NOT over heat like my current one has a habit of doing so.
    Don't get a laptop then. It might not over heat now, but in a few months when there is dust sitting on the heatsinks and you're not cooling efficiently, they all will. Also, nothing is going to run a long time gaming on a battery.

If FFXIV, or any game really, is your main reason for getting anything, you do not want a laptop. The most portable thing you're looking for, and I use portable loosely, is a desktop replacement, and you are not going to find them cheap.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
      Don't get a laptop then. It might not over heat now, but in a few months when there is dust sitting on the heatsinks and you're not cooling efficiently, they all will. Also, nothing is going to run a long time gaming on a battery.
      I actually take good care of my lap top. I open it up and dust it out at least once a month, to make sure that it doesn't over heat. But my fan is starting to become beat up(Dropped it a few times. Ooops... lol), and it makes a very loud and annoying humming noise when I start it up.

I also keep mine plugged in when I am running a game or music on my lap top. I don't sit there and run it with out plugging it in as I have lost some valuable information that way (My computer doesn't like to warn me before the battery dies now.), and so on.

Comment

Tak, sorry to say this but for $400, you're asking for a lot. You would have to be incredibly lucky to find one that fits your parameters.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Your best best is to do some searches for ones in your price range, write down model numbers, do some more review searches on each model, and then post some of your choices; if you want opinions. I'd also like to note that I've found mobile graphic cards, in that price range, just aren't up to snuff when it comes to many new games.
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
          I've found mobile graphic cards, in that price range, just aren't up to snuff when it comes to many new games.
          I know... Upgrading my lap top would be like just buying a brand new computer. lol

Comment

You can barely get a functional laptop for $400, let alone one that can do anything more complicated than watching movies.

If you're that tight on money, you may want to just wait for the PS3 version. Maybe you could find a place that rents out gaming computers, or a friend who would loan you one.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
              If you're that tight on money, you may want to just wait for the PS3 version. Maybe you could find a place that rents out gaming computers, or a friend who would loan you one.
              Yea, I may rent one for 6 months until the PS3 version comes out. I own a PS3, just wish I could install it on my PS3. Maybe if they didn't get rid of that optiont to put an operating system on the PS3, I might have been able to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
                Maybe if they didn't get rid of that optiont to put an operating system on the PS3, I might have been able to do so.
                No, you wouldn't've.

Comment

Just get a PS3 now. A 3 month "release" date announcement is hardly set in stone, let alone the extra 6 month wait on PS3. We have all been around gaming long enough to know that release dates are subject to change. Hell SE is the case in point (FF13 prime example).

Im quite sure that SE will push back the PC release date hell, I could see the PC release date simply being an open beta (ie. limited keys to access the game for a period of time then get frozen until the real start up just like blizzard has done with Starcraft 2 over the last few months yet another game with several announced release dates, that have been pushed back numerous times.)

Chances are you wont find a cheap laptop (or even a desktop) that will run FF14 very well. But if you are set on it, ask around local colleges/universities for someone who needs to build one for a computer class. Most often they get a huge discount on parts, and can get a huge discount on labor, this is how I got my machine done very very very cheap.

sig courtesy tgm
                  retired -08

Comment

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
                    Just get a PS3 now. A 3 month "release" date announcement is hardly set in stone, let alone the extra 6 month wait on PS3. We have all been around gaming long enough to know that release dates are subject to change. Hell SE is the case in point (FF13 prime example).
                    I already have a PS3, but I can not wait for 6 months for the game. I've already waited long enough and, I don't really feel like waiting more until the PS3 version comes out.

Comment

Ahh well in that case I dunno what to say otherwise then. Personally I think Sept 30 will come and go with no release for PC, Id wager more like January just based on the more recent history of SE when it comes to releases. But I also do not think you will get much in the way of a gaming platform for 400 bucks. (granted if you do get a extra 4 months then 800$ will give you some more wiggle room assuming you can save 100-150$ a month).

But if you are dead set on getting the game on day one, then id find a rent to own place that has a no-limit return policy, in the sense you can return at anytime with no penalty. (something like Easy home but that could just be a canadian place) then you will prolly only have to drop 50 bucks a month or so, and with 400 bucks that buys you about 8 months.

sig courtesy tgm
                      retired -08

Comment

Working...
                      X