Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboards

I got curious about what upgrades I had to choose from when selecting a new motherboard. This is my current motherboard, but there's one major drawback. The second PCI-E slot is x16, but only runs at x4, which is ridiculous, because it's supposed to be Crossfire X ready. I suspect the first x16 slot to be running at only x8, too. That's also pretty ridiculous. Other than that it's fine.

I've never done this before, so I've got a few questions before I dive in.

Firstly, does each board come with it's own metal cover that it will fit into so that it's properly exposed from the back of the computer? I would be severely limited if I had to choose boards with the USB, sound, etc. ports on back that were arranged exactly the same way.

Wouldn't it be important to find a board with two PCI-E 2.0 slots that could both run graphics cards in x16 mode? I can't seem to find one that doesn't drop both slots down to x8 mode when running dual graphics cards. Sure, two cards at half speed would be just as good as one card at full speed, but the point is to replace one high-end card with two that are slightly cheaper, all for better performance, right?

Thanks

Re: Motherboards

First question: Yes they come with a cover set up for each mb.

Second question: I disagree with the 2 cheaper cards are just as good or better than one high end card. But if thats the way you see it then it does no good to argue the point.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
      First question: Yes they come with a cover set up for each mb.

Second question: I disagree with the 2 cheaper cards are just as good or better than one high end card. But if thats the way you see it then it does no good to argue the point.
      Wouldn't they be? It's not like a video card costs exactly as much as it's worth, so it's possible to find two mid-range cards that, together, can out-perform one high-end card. This is assuming that the dual card set-up isn't being limited by the motherboard.

Comment

The second card is not fully utilized...period. You will only get a % of that cards power. Therefore you could have 2 low to mid cards that will not equal the power of one high end card. I ran 2 cards and I only got a 32-38% performance boost from the 2nd card. Also 2 cards make for a significantly hotter machine so be very diligent with your cooling system....and remember more parts to a machine mean more things can go wrong. My son tried dual cards and so did I, we both ran into our fair share of software/hardware issues and felt in the long run that one high end card was definitely better for us. But maybe you'll enjoy duals more than we did, to each their own.
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I'm just looking for opinions and experiences...

Comment

It's quite a hot topic on hardware forums...lots of heated discussions. There are great arguments on both sides and I totally get why people feel it's worth it. I will say that I would absolutely run duals if I could afford 2 high end cards, and a nice aluminum case with liquid cooling....but I'd also have to be an avid fan of some software that would utilize all that power. It's really overkill otherwise.

Comment

That damn benchmark had me wondering, that's the only reason I got into this whole thing. Right now, it seems like my current board is just fine for what I'm running. Some other functional upgrades I'm considering are expanded memory slots, which isn't that important, CPU socket type, which appears to be important, and simply upgrading the card.

Upgrading from an LGA 1133 up to 1366 would allow me to run i7's, with a faster FSB, but I'm not quite sure what that would really translate out to in terms of power. Current i7's aren't that much more powerful than i5's, especially when you're running programs that weren't designed to take advantage of more than two cores. I can see how i7's could easily become must-haves, but by that time the prices will drop. It seems like I would have to upgrade both the board and the CPU at the same time, because, while I could upgrade to an i7 with my LGA 1133, what's out now isn't that impressive, and I can't use 1366's with my current i5, so that's pointless.

I'd like to upgrade the graphics card, but that just isn't a big deal right now. My 3.0GHz i5 can run L4D2 on max settings perfectly, with some issues when recording through WeGame while playing. I doubt I would notice the effects if I stuck a stronger card in this machine.

Comment

SLI looks cool. That's really the only reason I did it. You can save money with it by getting 2 sort of good cards, they probably won't out perform the top end in the same family but they should perform a little smoother then one of the same card.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I'm going to forego creating a new topic for this:

Why is there such a price difference in quad-core CPUs between AMD and Intel? AMD quad-core at 3.2GHz is around $150, while Intel is charging half a grand for the same thing? I feel like I'm missing something.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Also, I found this motherboard, which has two x16 PCI-E slots that both run at x16, but do share bandwidth with some of the other PCI-E slots.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                    Why is there such a price difference in quad-core CPUs between AMD and Intel? AMD quad-core at 3.2GHz is around $150, while Intel is charging half a grand for the same thing? I feel like I'm missing something.
                    The short answer is because they're very different processors made in very different ways.
                    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I have a Quad Core 3.2 GHz AMD Phenom II, and I like it just fine. I've Overclocked it to 3.9GHz at one point, but it ran too damn hot, and it's the middle of the summer in an non-airconditioned 2nd Floor NYC bedroom.

What I suggest? AMD if you're looking for components that perform well but aren't, as you said, "half a grand".

I've made a blog post about a decent rig you can build for less than $800. The Tao of Ren

I'm totally a fan of the Radeon HD 5000 series, and I personally own this card, but it's $500. I got a 4000+ on the FFXIV benchmark, so I feel it'll do me just fine for the next two years. And then, unless they come out with DX12, I'll just get another one and Crossfire it (it'll probably be $250 by that point).

I don't recommend SLI / Crossfire for different reasons than the one's TGM pointed out:

My biggest beef is that dual GPUs are "USUALLY" done with "budget" cards in an effort to match the performance of a higher priced card. I'd say just hold off on the higher priced card, because somewhere down the line, those "budget" cards are going to feel the pain either from their 512 MB of RAM, or 128-bits.

If you want to run FFXIV, look for GDDR5. I'm trying to find the article, but there was one interview where SE admitted to the fact that they're fully intending to make a game that can be enjoyed graphically 5 years from now.

Also, I'm starting to become an MSI Fanboy. Look for their products that they say are "Military Rated". Here's a comparison of all the cards they have in the 5000 series that have the custom cooling and architecture.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2%2050001312%2040000048&page=2&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&CompareItemList=48|14-127-500^14-127-500-TS,14-127-482^14-127-482-TS,14-127-491^14-127-491-TS,14-127-490^14-127-490-TS

Pay attention to GDDR memory (3 or 5?), Memory Bandwidth (128 or 256 bits?), and overall memory. For FFXI, you might be able to get away with 512MB of RAM.. who knows... Wait until Fall or so when the release the specs required.

Also, I've spent slightly over $1800 to get my rig to where it is right now. (I think once I get a SSD for the OS and programs, and a mount for my dual screens, I'm going to stop buying things and just be happy with it >_> ), so you have to work within your budget.

I've rambled long enough, but I'll say that I don't recommend Dual Core processors for FFXIV benchmarks based on what some of my friends got. My friend has a Dual Core system with this GPU, and he got 2000 on the low-res test. Also, some people with weaker GPUs than mine got higher on the test than me because of thier CPUs (One guy had some i7 that had like 8 cores or some shit.. he got like a 5500).

I'm going to OC my CPU back to 3.9 and I'll let you know how much of a difference I get.
                      The Tao of Ren
                      FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                      Originally posted by Kaeko
                      As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Yea, I have a dual-core i5 at 3.2GHz and my score was 1000 on the highest settings. Lame-o.

I'm making a list of what to upgrade and in what order. It'll probably be motherboard and CPU to switch over to AMD, then graphics card and RAM. Of course, this is happening only if the money is there. If I wanted to spend my money more wisely then I'd purchase the GPU first, since it would take me the farthest with the least amount of money spent.

Comment

The CPU, as the heart of your comp, will be a good investment to start with.

Also, the game will hopefully be out by the holiday season, so you have half a year to put away a bit of money every week.
                          The Tao of Ren
                          FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                          Originally posted by Kaeko
                          As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Right now I'm running Intel stuff, and to make the switch I'll have to replace both the CPU and Mobo.

I'm thinking a jump up to HD 5700 should do the trick, when I replace the graphics card. Maybe 5800s will be cheaper by the time I replace it.

Comment

Saw this up on Gizmondo. I didn't read it but thought you might be interested in it:

The Best Graphics Cards at Every Price

Comment

Working...
                              X