Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genius hacks PS3. What does the mean for us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Genius hacks PS3. What does the mean for us?

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
    I never understood why people who torrent then buy the DVDs think they are better than people who just torrent. It's not as if the anime studio is ever getting the money they you pay to the retailer...
    Yeah, it's not like companies make money because their product sells, amirite? That would be some crazy system, where people pay money for goods and services, and in turn gain that money from their own labor. I mean, in that case it would cost money to make things, and as we all know, anime studios are non-profit institutions of art, where they enjoy the fruits of their labor regardless of market performance.

And yes, I know that after retail, publishing, importing, marketing, etc. DVD sales don't pour cash into creator's pockets. That doesn't mean they're not worth anything-- market demand also drives future products. Not just in terms of "hey, people like this guy's shows, let's hire him", but "hey, people like this show, let's make more like it". Why do you think moe-blob collections are so popular? If Azumanga Daioh hadn't been so popular, it's unlikely we ever would've seen Lucky Star. By supporting the products you enjoy, you encourage the industry to make more like it.

That said, I rarely buy anime, music, and movies. But if you want to rip on people for pirating, you'd better realize that the morality doesn't change based on who's product it is.

Comment

The point I was trying to make was, if you torrent then buy you're still torrenting in the first place. I just don't understand why people try to put themselves on a pedastal when they are still pirating something. I'm not ripping on people who torrent and buy the DVDs (hell I do it all the time if I find a show I like and the DVDs aren't out in the UK yet. i like collecting the DVDs if anything but I don't claim any moral superiority from it), just the people who seem to think they have some kind of moral superiority because they torrented then bought the DVDs too

You did hit the nail on the head with the merchandising though.
      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
      Reiko Takahashi
      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

The point I was trying to make was, if you torrent then buy you're still torrenting in the first place. I just don't understand why people try to put themselves on a pedastal when they are still pirating something.
        Think 'Try before you buy.' Also once they buy the product they have a right to the torrented version they previously downloaded as a legitimate backup.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
          Think 'Try before you buy.' Also once they buy the product they have a right to the torrented version they previously downloaded as a legitimate backup.

That's weak, lol... So... I'm just trying everything I torrent. If I find something "worth buying" I will. It just so happens, 2000 torrented animes later, I just haven't found one that's worth it yet. Don't worry though, I'll keep "trying it before i buy it." I know there's got to be one out there...
          75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
          RANK 10 Bastok
          CoP: Done
          ZM: Done
          ToA: Done
          Assault rank: Captain
          Campaign Medal: Medals
          Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
          This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

The point I was trying to make was, if you torrent then buy you're still torrenting in the first place.
            Um, so? The point is that you buy the product when you can. Keep in mind many people torrent shows as they are released in their country of origin, and the DVDs aren't released until later. Or they torrent the DVD-Rip to watch, while ordering the DVD; either so they can keep their DVD in shrink wrap (ask TGM, I'm sure she's done this), or because shipping times can be obscene. Or you torrent the show to watch, and buy the DVD when you have the cash. Why does torrenting it make the money you spent on the DVD invalid?

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
            That's weak, lol... So... I'm just trying everything I torrent.
            No, Mhurron is talking about people that actually use illegal downloads to give a shot to things they wouldn't have otherwise considered, not people who are just dicks looking for an excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
              Um, so? The point is that you buy the product when you can. Keep in mind many people torrent shows as they are released in their country of origin, and the DVDs aren't released until later. Or they torrent the DVD-Rip to watch, while ordering the DVD; either so they can keep their DVD in shrink wrap (ask TGM, I'm sure she's done this), or because shipping times can be obscene. Or you torrent the show to watch, and buy the DVD when you have the cash. Why does torrenting it make the money you spent on the DVD invalid?

No, Mhurron is talking about people that actually use illegal downloads to give a shot to things they wouldn't have otherwise considered, not people who are just dicks looking for an excuse.

I did that, and do from time to time, did not try BioShock till it came out on PC, I downloaded the game and played it for about 2 hours, left eh house bought it, and then finished playing it lol, loved that game.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Well in the UK the legality of it is less complicated. If nobody hase the right to distribute the DVDs of anime in Europe (and Australia/New Zealand to cover all of R2) then it technically isn't covered by copyright law and by a loophole is legal to download (though because of the nature of the UK's constitition, that law can be changed by any Judicial Precident if someone would ever be prosecuted for a crime so petty). The UK also has a lot of different laws about playing all sorts of media both in the home and outside it. it's needlessly complicated and because the UK has an unwritten constitution (basically branches of Government say they are going to uphold it but don't when it suits them) can mor eor less change at any given time. it's basically for that reason that people in the UK consider making backups of a media you bought illegal (well it's a grey area in law). That being said I'm a History Major not a Law Major so don't quote me on any or this legal stuff...I'm better at writing a fancy essay on something than actually bothering to properly explain it.
                Reiko Takahashi
                Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Or they torrent the DVD-Rip to watch, while ordering the DVD; either so they can keep their DVD in shrink wrap (ask TGM, I'm sure she's done this), or because shipping times can be obscene.
                  Yes I do this quite often. I'm a collector. I do this with games for the most part and only if I have a modded system to test games out on. Now with demos, I don't really do it as much and the fact that the next gen systems have their own issues with modding. But I do it often with DS, PSP, and Wii games. I d/l and play the game to test it out, if I like it I do go and buy it (ask my son he thinks I'm nuts lol), and sometimes I'll open the game and use it or sometimes I'll continue with the d/l'd game and leave the game in shrinkwrap. It really depends. Now, do I think that what I do is right? I want to say no but that little devil on my shoulder says there is nothing wrong with it. Legally, ya they could probably come after me but it would be funny when they find I own most of the games.
                  Originally posted by Feba
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  Originally posted by DakAttack
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

TGM I pretty much do exactly that. To be honest the one thing that stops me from simply using digital downloads to get games legitimately is because I like collectiong Video Games, CDs and DVDs. I also happen to like having the physical thing to hold.

It just doesn't feel the same to download say an album off iTunes or a game off Steam as it does to get it from a store. As a collector it just feels soulless to me because the thing you bought isn't physically there and nobody can see that that game/CD/DVD is part of your collection.

That being said I do use digutal downloads for guilty pleasures so it doesn't show up in my Game/CD/DVD collections >.>
                    Reiko Takahashi
                    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                      Would be cool if Homebrew groups got a working PSx and PS2 emulater working on a hacked PS3, that would really piss Sony off, or at the very least, make me laugh ;p
                      PS3 can still run PS1 games. Unless you're talking about running (ahem) "backups" or games installed to HD, that is. Both PS2 and PS3 use the PS1 hardware as an I/O processor.
                      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                        PS3 can still run PS1 games. Unless you're talking about running (ahem) "backups" or games installed to HD, that is. Both PS2 and PS3 use the PS1 hardware as an I/O processor.
                        yeah I am talking about running what ever you want, from a Disk, not just what they give you from PSN

Comment

yeah I am talking about running what ever you want, from a Disk
                          again, PS3 can still run PS1 games.

PS2 emulator would be nice, but it's really probably a pipe dream to get anyone in the emulator/homebrew community to manage a decent one running on CELL before the PS4 comes out.

Comment

market demand also drives future products. Not just in terms of "hey, people like this guy's shows, let's hire him", but "hey, people like this show, let's make more like it". Why do you think moe-blob collections are so popular? If Azumanga Daioh hadn't been so popular, it's unlikely we ever would've seen Lucky Star. By supporting the products you enjoy, you encourage the industry to make more like it.
                            fyi if you don't think that companies can't track how many people download a certain product ... you sir are very high. Most of the ratings for new animes and new episodes of current ones come from the online community of how many people download them and fansub them. it's simple math the more fans you have the more demand there is for a product and more of a chance SOMEONE will purchase it.
                            Last edited by TheGrandMom; 02-13-2010, 05:53 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

again, PS3 can still run PS1 games.

PS2 emulator would be nice, but it's really probably a pipe dream to get anyone in the emulator/homebrew community to manage a decent one running on CELL before the PS4 comes out.
                              wait wait..... sooo even the newest PS3 slims, can play PSX games, but not PS2? -.- god I am glad I did not buy one yet, I swear Sony has pissed me off way to much lately.

I had thought they removed all backwards compatibility did not know it could still play PSX

Comment

wait wait..... sooo even the newest PS3 slims, can play PSX games, but not PS2? -.-
                                yes. PSX is software emulation, PS2 emulation has always required some hardware components, even when they began to use Cell to emulate one of the PS2 chips, they had a hardware version of the other (Emotion Engine or Graphics Synthesizer)

Originally posted by Tedronai View Post
                                fyi if you don't think that companies can't track how many people download a certain product ... you sir are very high.
                                Yeah, because people that download shows mean people that pay money amirite? Also, because it's really easy to just look at the internets and say "THIS IS HOW MANY TIMES THIS HAS BEEN DOWNLOADED ACROSS EVERY SITE HOSTING OUR FILES EVER". There are plenty of things that appeal well to people who are deeply into a genre or medium, but wouldn't have mass market appeal. Those core fan groups are exactly the sort who are more likely to download their materials. There are also plenty of people who would download things and never buy them.

If you think any company seriously makes more of a product because it's heavily pirated, you really oughtn't throw around homonym attacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X