Keyboard and mouse recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard and mouse recommendations

Building a new pc this weekend and looking to buy a new keyboard and mouse pretty soon. I know G15 is supposed to still be pretty good, but I've heard its not compatible with Windows 7. Would like something with anti-ghosting if at all possible. Currently using my laptop for most everything and I can only use two buttons at once, can get really annoying.
    As for a mouse I've been thinking about the G5 or G7 but also been looking at some from Razer. I know they somehow feel different but what I found wasn't real clear on how and I haven't seen any out at Best Buy to get a feel for it with.
    Would like to spend less than $100 apiece but if going over that suddenly makes an ok peripheral into godlike then I'd probably think about it.
    Anyone have some advice?
    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Re: Keyboard and mouse recommendations

Currently using a Razer Naga mouse that I bought recently. I love the hot buttons but need to get used to the mouse really because of different button placement on my old Razer mouse. I am dying to see how well it will work with FFXIV.

As for keyboard, I have a Razer Lycosa. I lucked out and hit a gamers rummage sale this summer! It was a kid going off to college and he had a plethora of stuff for sale, including this keyboard. It was brand new. He bought it, threw out the packaging, and then his buddy gave him his G15. So I got it for $20. I also have a G15 but I don't have Windows 7 on this computer so I don't have to worry about the incompatibility. But with the popularity of the keyboard, I'm sure they will fix whatever the issue is. They would be foolish not to. Congrats on the new addition! I'm jealous! ^^
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

are you open to considering trackball mice?

Comment

Track ball mice = for people who don't have Nintendo Power gloves.

Comment

Well I currently use a G15 Keyboard (first press with the flip up/down LCD Display, and a G7 Laser rechargeable battery pack mouse (again first release... not the gay textured one).

The keyboard.... While interested I will admit I don't use the LCD display much as I have a 2nd computer (B!tch box as i call it) for all my music/video/informational needs. The display i found out doesn't work in a LOT of games. Also generally in the games that it does work all it does it move information from the screen to the LCD keyboard. I have a 30 inch monitor so its well just generally easier to get the info from the monitor its self. Not to mention the data it usually shows is a 1 keystroke show/hide screen. Example: In WoW (sadly i was talked into try the game... hated it... anyhow) the primary display screen would show the info from your character tab.... a single "C" key press away. Bottom line, my impression of the LCD display is that its flashy and interesting, but nothing really all that helpful.

The macro keys are what really make this keyboard. It is not my first macro keyboard and it WONT be my last. I highly recommend anyone that plays computer games to get a macro keyboard. There is nothing special about the macro capabilities on the G15 over that of any other macro keyboard really. What it comes down to here is to find one that has the macro keys where you want them and that it has a good macro support program (for the keyboard). This is one thing i feel Logitech does very well. Their macro program (or rather the keyboard software side of the house) is extremely powerful. It allows you to put in delays down to the 1000th of a second. It allows you to turn a macro key into anything you could do as user input INCLUDING mouse clicks (with location).

All in all I would give the G15 (that I have) a 3/5. I would give it a 4/5 but I don't feel that the version i have is really worth what it cost when i got it (100 bucks). This is due to the fact that 30-40 dollars of that price tag are due to the LCD display which i explained is rather lackluster.

As for the G7 mouse. I absolutely LOVE it. It feels great it moves smoothly (something that if you have owned various other laser mice is something that is NOT standard). It comes with 2 rechargeable batteries and a charging base / receiver for the wireless mouse. Basically you run 1 battery in the mouse while the other charges. This works great. In the beginning each batter lasted me about 2-3 days (i game 2-5 hours a day on average) however i let the system run 24/7. After about 3 years of owning this mouse the battery packs last for 2-5 hours on a full charge. At this point i need to get off my lazy butt and get some replacements. The mouse also has a very nice combo of buttons just below the mouse wheel, one a "+" and the other a "-". They function to change the DPI of the laser which in turn adjusts the sensitivity of the mouse. This is a GREAT tool for shooters or various other PC games (I have not found a use for this in MMOs yet). Example of this being in BF 2142 when I plant the MG on support pack it slows your mouse movement down to simulate the added force necessary to aim a gun in that position. I can just hit the "+" button and bam instantly I'm back to normal mouse speed. All in all I would rate this mouse a 5/5. I rate it as such as it is by far the best mouse i have ever owned. Infact I am tempted to just buy a new one all together depending on the cost of replacement batteries. This is not to say that its worn or even really beaten up.. But as anyone who PC games more then occasionally knows... mice tend to get well a little icky.... even after you clean them they still arn't like they were in the beginning.

As far as price goes you mentioned 100$. The G7 mouse is easily obtainable for under that price. I have used a few Razor mice in my day and was never really fond of them.... regardless what pro gamer is claiming they make him better this week.

As far as mice go I would have to strongly recommend the G7.

Keyboards are very much an operator thing. I would just advise you to find the one that feels the most comfortable to you... I always type a few test sentences on them as well (even if not hooked up) just to get a feel for the keystrokes and placements. A few sentences such as "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" really gets the job done in letting you know if you will like or dislike typing on it. I am not aware of the current price on the G15 as I am not the biggest fan of it (refer to previous description) but the key point being that i actually liked my backlight Saitek (40$) better then i like the G15(100$). Reason: they type the same they feel the same they had almost identical macro programs and well i have NEVER felt that the LCD display was worth the 60$ price hike.

Having said all that (probably much more then you wanted) I would just like to state the following

Human Interface Devices are a VERY important part of the computer. If you cant comfortably input your commands to your computer then it will not be as enjoyable an experience for you.

I mean who wants to sit down to play a game to stop playing 45 minutes later because of hand cramps?

Hopefully my short essay can help you in your search for the right HIDs for you.

Comment

Only truly useful thing I've heard for the lcd screen is that it can apparently tell you who's talking on vent. Definitely not make or break, but kinda neat I guess.
            TGM, does the Naga have more buttons than just the two plus all the numbered buttons on the side? If not, are those buttons programmable to basic functions in windows? Like forward and backward on an internet browser and what have you? Does it feel good when you use it? I've heard theyre different (Razers) but never how exactly.

Feba, not opposed to it, but am a little hesitant. I'd definitely need to try one out for awhile and see if I can get used to it before comitting to something very expensive. Will say that pretty much everyone who I've talked to who uses one is adamant about how great they are. Which one(s) specifically did you have in mind?

Comment

Most people do not have good dexterity in their thumbs, making the most standard track ball design a pain to use. The other design makes you move in the same manner that a mouse does negating the one benefit a track ball has, not causing or aggravating RSI. Other then being a stationary device, and so fitting in better on a cluttered desk or keyboard tray, there isn't much reason to use a track ball unless you're already used to it.

The most important thing for any interface is that it be comfortable to use. There are some very cheap mice and keyboards that are much more comfortable then some of the very expensive ones. It's better to go with a cheap, comfortable keyboard and mouse then it is an expensive one that causes you to hold your hand in a certain way or move unnecessarily to do simple tasks.
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I use a Logitech Trackman. It's only around $30, it's the cheapest trackball mouse I know of that's made for long term use (as opposed to being a 'so your laptop mouse sucks? here's something marginally better' deal). It's probably not quite as good as the higher end ones, but I wouldn't notice since I don't play FPS nearly so often anymore.

It does take a bit of getting used to to use as a mouse, and a lot of getting used to for FPS, but it's very nice. One of my favorite things is the simple fact that it doesn't need to be wireless-- you will never get the cord tangled up or in your way, since the mouse stays stationary. This means you don't need to ever fuss with it dying in the middle of a fight. The ease of making quick and precise movements is another big plus, although that obviously takes plenty of practice. One thing most trackball users probably do that normal mouse users don't is mess with their settings-- sensitivity, acceleration, etc; shouldn't be an issue for anyone smart enough to play FFXI, but keep in mind that it will probably be hard to use out of the box partially because of mouse presets moreso than a lack of skill with it. Another nice thing about trackball mice, you never have to do the whole 'pick up, move back to the left, drop and move right again' maneuver: You just lift your thumb and move it back, which is much much less tiring than moving your entire arm, once you get used to it. You'll also get used to 'throwing' the trackball, and stopping it where you want it, instead of constantly keeping your finger on it; you could try that with a regular mouse I guess, if you dislike your walls.

So yeah, start with the $30 logitech mouse, give it a good while to let it sink in (at least a couple weeks, maybe months-- I took to mine right away, but it was very annoyingly imprecise at first), and then consider if it's accurate enough for you (really ought to be) or if you should upgrade (this would more be a matter of comfort/features than accuracy, I'd imagine).

Also keep in mind that there are three very different styles of trackball mice: there's the kind I use, which is basically a regular mouse, with the trackball where your thumbrest would usually be. Then there's the kind which has the trackball where your scroll wheel usually is, and then there are the kind which are more typically used for CAD work. All of these are going to be controlled in different ways: you might find it more tiring to use your middle finger than your thumb, for example. Or maybe you've spent a lot of time exercising your middle finger, and sitting on your thumb.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                Most people do not have good dexterity in their thumbs, making the most standard track ball design a pain to use.
                I agree with pretty much everything, but I would like to say that, like most other things, you will develop the skill over time if you use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspian View Post
                  TGM, does the Naga have more buttons than just the two plus all the numbered buttons on the side? If not, are those buttons programmable to basic functions in windows? Like forward and backward on an internet browser and what have you? Does it feel good when you use it? I've heard theyre different (Razers) but never how exactly.
                  Well I had another Razer mouse before this one, the Naga is a tad bigger (of course) so its taking me some time to get used to that since I have little "girley" hands. LOL I personally like the feel of most Razer mice. I have to admit that the very first original one (that I still have) is my all time favorite for fitting to my hand. My last Razer was a Pro Solutions. It was my emergency mouse for when my cordless needed to be charged. But my cordless Logitech went to hell and I had to use it until I got a new one. I ended up liking it so much that I over looked the cord and used it for over a year. But my son spoils me and bought me a Naga after I saw it at the Comic Con and drooled all over it. I've only had it for about 2 weeks though so I'm still adjusting. I will say that I'm still trying to get used to NOT playing with the side of my mouse and hitting all those buttons. The browser buttons (forward/back) are located a bit ahead of the 12 macro buttons, so yes you still have those. I can't live with out my forward/back buttons anymore! FYI the 17 buttons are the 12 on the side, the forward, the back, and the 3 clicks on the scroll wheel (down, left, and right).

I will say that if you have smaller hands, this mouse takes some getting used to. The forward/back buttons are a stretch for my little thumb and even hitting some of the macro buttons can feel awkward. I also have a problem remembering what I have macro'd under what button....but thats just old age I think! LOL They give you some little training stickers with it but I've never used them. Maybe I should bust them out and it wiould help. Also I do play a couple of FPS's and I have to use my other mouse when I do and trading between mice to play games sucks ass. You know how you grip your mouse when you play a FPS? Well you can't do that with this one because of the buttons so its useless for them. This is absolutely a one trick wonder. All in all I would NOT spend the money on this mouse unless I was an avid WoW/MMO fan. Since I'm not currently dedicated to a MMO, its not worth the money....but it wasn't my money!
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Cool, I've been looking at the Death Adder, was picked as a top 5 mouse by a few websites, also looking at the Logitech G500 that comes out monday, though I'm pretty sure 5700 dpi is overkill. I struggle controlling it with 3000 dpi, gotta love it when Razer and Logitech get into penis measuring contests. Leaning towards the tarantula too, as the anti-ghosting with up to 10 keys is pretty impressive, though I really wish I had the cash for Optimus Maximus keyboard
                    Thats just stupid awesome. I'm curious if the Tactus will ever become a reality, but could see not having the tactile sensation of pressing a key becoming a problem.
                    Btw, how did you get a Naga already? Everything I can find says its not out yet? Were they selling it a comic-con? Or do you have some amazing connections?

Comment

Ya the OM keyboard is pretty damn sweet. I go through keyboards pretty quickly. I either don't like them, spill crap on them, or just wear them out (did that to my Merc). I'm using my Razer board right now because I don't want to wear out/spill on my G15 because thats my favorite. I'd really like to get the G11 but I just can't justify the price with having the G15. But I'd LOVE to try out the G13 one too!

No I didn't get my Naga at the CC. My son got it but I don't know where. Damn now you have me wondering! LOL I bet he talked up the friend of mine that we met at CC and got it from him. My friend has connections but I don't like to pester him about stuff but my son would do it in a heartbeat. I didn't even know they weren't out yet!

Comment

The newer G15 has less G keys than the original that I have. The onyl problem with the original opne is its shear size, but its been the best keyboard I have used.

Comment

I've been a long-time fan of Razer mice ever since picking up a Diamondback.
                          I must caution you though, it seems as though their mice have shorter lifespans than regular mice. My DB lasted about two years; then I bought a DeathAdder as a replacement, which ended up in the bucket a year and a half later; so I grabbed a used Lachesis which I've had since.
                          Although longevity has been a bit spotty for me, their products seem to shine in all other areas. They're responsive, fast, light, and comfortable.

At the same time I got my last mouse, I also picked up a Lycosa keyboard. It's illuminated, has lap-style "shallow" keystrokes, and comes from a name I trust, so it fits the bill and does what I need it to. No fancy designated macro keys or LCDs, but I don't see why I'd really need them. Oh, and it's got anti-ghosting on it's "gaming cluster", which I believe equates to WASD and the surrounding area.

Comment

Working...
                          X