FFXI on Mac OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFXI on Mac OS X

Im trying to run ffxi on Mac OS X on my new iMac, ive installed virtualbox and windows XP on that. But it wont launch ffxi because it "failed to initialize Direct3D". PlayOnline works fine, although pretty grainy appearance, updated fine, but when i go to launch it comes up with this message "Terminated as error occurred on FINAL FANTASY XI. Failed to initialize Direct3D. Please check that this computer has the required specifications to fin FINAL FANTASY XI.(-1)".

Is there anyway i can get this to work? Or another program i can use?

Re: FFXI on Mac OS X

Dreams in Vanadiel - Final Fantasy XI Forum - Search Forums
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

How wholly unhelpful to a new user - you may want to turn in that emblem of service.

Anyway...

Ive an iMac too, Ive used both Parallels and VM Fusion and both of them give the error that you have identified, cant get the 3d to work properly.

In all honesty the best option Ive found is to install via bootcamp and boot into your windows partition when you want to play. It does mean that you cant use OSX at the same time however.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Originally posted by forster View Post
        How wholly unhelpful to a new user - you may want to turn in that emblem of service.
        If you want to complain about being helpful, try being correct first. Maybe you should try that search function too.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Before you plod ahead blindly, be sure that you're trying something that has been confirmed working. FFXI is rather picky about its environment.

I just did a quick web search, and this is the first success I have heard of with getting FFXI to work right:

FFXI on Mac: Working in Parallels 4.0 - Order of the Blue Gartr

I guess I'll have to upgrade my Parallels from 2.0 one of these days. FYI, it looks like you do still have to install it to a Bootcamp partition even when using a VM.
          Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
          99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
          F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
          >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
            Before you plod ahead blindly, be sure that you're trying something that has been confirmed working. FFXI is rather picky about its environment.

I just did a quick web search, and this is the first success I have heard of with getting FFXI to work right:

FFXI on Mac: Working in Parallels 4.0 - Order of the Blue Gartr

I guess I'll have to upgrade my Parallels from 2.0 one of these days. FYI, it looks like you do still have to install it to a Bootcamp partition even when using a VM.
            Thank you!

I tried FFXI in 3.0 and had massively garbled graphics, v4 isnt perfect but it's running pretty stable with the advice from that thread - I can run FFXI in a parallels window, and have the rest of my desktop with OSX.

There is still some lag, and that's with 8gig of RAM, I think it's just the virtualisation isnt quite there yet - Id still recommend using bootcamp to boot into full windows if you want the best experience.

On a side note, my girlfriend hates you, my social life is now going back to being in tatters.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies, I installed Bootcamp and FF is running great. Although i would rather a parallel windows, but this will work for now. Can you get parallel desktop for free anywhere? Or do you have to buy it? Also tried to use wine/darwine which would have been awesome but its a bit past my knowlage as to how to install it and get it to work lol.

Thanks again everyone! And i did do a search for this and i couldnt find anything applicable!
              Again you've all been great XD

Comment

Mac Virtual Machines and Virtual PC. Automation and Virtualization Software for Desktops, Servers, Hosting, SaaS - Parallels
                Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Please tell me if I'm being stupid but the only free thing i can see is a 14day trial? Not much use to me if it runs outs in two weeks >.<; So please tell me if i missed something lol

Also my internet for some reason has decided to go REALLY LAGGY on bootcamp, cant figure it out. But can't play when its lagging like that, R just drops to 0 and then just have to wait for it to go back up or d/c me. But totally unplayable lag, in internet browers too! So if you have heard of anything like this and know how I can fix it that would be amazing.

Thanks again.

Comment

FFXI isnt free o.o
                    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Parallels Desktop not FFXI lol

Comment

Parallels isn't free either.

loose

Comment

Thanks Mhurron, I asked if i could get it for free anywhere and Elwynn posted a link, so naturally i assumed thats what it was for lol.

Ive downloaded the trial of Parallels Desktop and run my bootcamp partition on it, but when i open POL, in the windower or not, it comes up with a black screen and then eventually goes to the POL screen but the screen doesnt react to anything i do, its just like an image. Ive search for this problem and have seen ppl that have had it but cant find any answers or a solution!

Anyone know how to fix this or can direct me to a thread that has some answers?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X