Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decent Laptop for running FFXI under $600?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Laptop for running FFXI under $600?

So I got an HP G60235DX and it has an Intel 4 series chipset. Long story short, the FPS is pretty unbearably low. So my question is, if I decide to get another one, does anyone have any suggestions for a decent laptop that will run FFXI that's under 600? Granted, I'm not looking for the most fancy computer. I just want a laptop with a decent rating and will run FFXI with decent graphics and no FPS issues.

I looked online, but I'm not having any luck.

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

So I did a little research and found a laptop that does not have an intel chipset in it:

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with AMD Turionâ„¢ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-80 - Fusion

It has a Radeon X3100 graphics in it and it's powered by AMD. The only concern I have is that it's dual-core. Will that affect anything? Or am I good to go?
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Re: Decent Laptop for running FFXI under $600?

I've narrowed down my search a little.

The cards I'm trying to decide between are ATI Radeon HD 3200 and GeForce 8200M. Still not exactly sure if my fps will be fine though.

Comment

Hey mog, are you looking on a specific website for them are just searching the internets? The laptop you bought and I believe the AMD one you were looking at both have integrated graphics. The two that you just listed are dedicated graphics. I was checking newegg earlier and I only saw maybe 2 laptops within the $600 range that have dedicated graphics and one of them was a open box.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218043606827 I like this laptop that Mezlo bought. I have a Acer laptop with ATI Radeon X1600M in it, I can't tell you about the framerate but I can say that I like the way it runs FFXI even though it could be better.
      Last edited by Durahansolo; 03-26-2009, 07:18 AM.
      {New Sig in the works}
      -----------------------
      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
      Originally posted by Solymir
      What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
        The two that you just listed are dedicated graphics. I was checking newegg earlier and I only saw maybe 2 laptops within the $600 range that have dedicated graphics and one of them was a open box.
        Gateway - Laptop with AMD Turionâ„¢ X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Mobile Processor - Black

HP - Laptop with AMD Turionâ„¢ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-70

Those are the two models I found on Best Buy. First has the 3200 HD and the second has the 8200M

Comment

If you can stretch to $650, you might look at the Toshiba Satellite A305D-S6914 at Newegg -- has an ATI Radeon 3650.

Looks like it's on sale at the moment. (Can't post links yet, so...)
          Must level...<Resist sleep> ...

Comment

Originally posted by Havelock View Post
            If you can stretch to $650, you might look at the Toshiba Satellite A305D-S6914 at Newegg -- has an ATI Radeon 3650.

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite A305D-S6914 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82(2.20GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 3GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Laptops / Notebooks ^^Got eet! Reviews of the laptop seem pretty excellent.

Also, I recommend grabbing a cooling pad for the laptop to sit on. I leave my laptop on 24/7 on the cool pad and I've had it 2 years with no problems.
            Last edited by Durahansolo; 03-26-2009, 09:16 AM.
            {New Sig in the works}
            -----------------------
            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
            "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
            Originally posted by Solymir
            What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
              Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite A305D-S6914 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82(2.20GHz) 15.4&quot; Wide XGA 3GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Laptops / Notebooks ^^Got eet! Reviews of the laptop seem pretty excellent.

Also, I recommend grabbing a cooling pad for the laptop to sit on. I leave my laptop on 24/7 on the cool pad and I've had it 2 years with no problems.
              Looking at the reviews. Apparently, that's a really good laptop for it's price. Also, it seems that the chip is not integrated, from what I can tell. I'll look more into it. Pretty confident I'm probably going to go with it. Can anyone else confirm that FFXI runs well with the ATI Mobility 3650HD and/or Model?
              Last edited by Mog; 03-26-2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

The laptop I just got has an HD 3200 chip, so that should be fine. However, it's running on 64-bit Vista, and I'm having FPS issues.

When I'm running around in closed areas, it's usually fine, but I'll notice a dip when I'm in a really crowded area or just fighting something with a friend of mine. I remember it being from 10-20 at the Whitegate AH and 25ish when I was nuking a bug with a friend.

So the question is, is Vista the culprit? I just want to make sure before I downgrade to XP. Also, the specs of the computer are here:

HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Mobile Processor - Bronze - dv4-1225dx

Comment

Drivers.

Game works fine in Vista on a machine with much less power then that.
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

So I should have a certain video card driver for it? Or just the most updated driver?

I checked when I first got the laptop, and the video card driver is updated. So I'm not sure what else to really look at.

Edit: Did a little research and it seems ATI Catalyst 8.3 works really well. Downloading now, so wish me luck. x.x

Edit2: Uninstalled 9.3, but having issues installing 8.3. Says there's hardware or software missing for install? I'm really confused.
                    Last edited by Mog; 03-28-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
                      HP - Laptop with AMD Turionâ„¢ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-70
                      This sounds similar to the one I have, and I have crashing issues to to graphics incompatibility. Certain zones (Dynamis - San d'Oria) and certain animations (Ice Elementals, Ice Spikes, etc.) cause my game to completely crash, giving me a "Playonline Viewer has stopped working" error message. Suffice to say that's a bit annoying. I've turned a lot of effects off, and that helps a bit, but it's still a pain in the ass. So I wouldn't recommend this one. My PC is still out of commission, so it's not a huge issue as this is a secondary machine. But, if you plan to use a laptop fulltime, I wouldn't recommend this one due to the issues that I've never been able to fix. (Downloaded drivers, tried forceware, nothing.)
                      sigpic
                      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Havelock View Post

I have a ATI Radeon 3650 and game runs like silk even dureing heavy campain and beseige play. If you run internet explorier in the background much try not to leave it running for an extremly long time it can hurt game play if left on for more than 8 hours.

Comment

I bought this guy:

Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7901 Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews

Runs quite a few games rather well, and so far I have it emulating game stations thought PSX as well--I'm thinking of diving in to PS2 emulation to see if it can handle it.

Comment

Gateway?.... dont get Gateway -.-
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                              Gateway?.... dont get Gateway -.-
                              What wrong with gate way? I've been using a gateway lap top for about 3 years now, and I have no issues. Until Vista decides to boot me off FFXI when it wants to update, and it only does that while I'm as a mage job too lol.

All that you need is a "Decent" computer. 512 MB Ram, Dual-core Processor, and a decent vid card, and sound.

My Game runs fine with that, unless you rin lower Jeuno... *Shudder* The lagg!

But I don't lagg in campiagn battles lol

Comment

Working...
                              X