Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft says DAMN IT HACKERS YOU PWNDDED ME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft says DAMN IT HACKERS YOU PWNDDED ME!

Microsoft Offers $250,000 Bounty For Worm Authors -- Internet Security -- InformationWeek

Aight, my take on this, and you may or may not have any experience with this virus, is that "Zerocool" (we'll call him that) wrote this virus, and wrote it so fucking good, that it basically can't be "Cured" without a complete OS re-write. 12 million PC's. That's what the number was at back in early january.

In the military, we aren't allowed to use USB ANYTHING on the government computers. They basically shut down the entire use of USB. I mean, that's how bad this virus is/was. (printers,scanners,thumbdrives,portable harddrives,etc.)

So it's cost the WORLD something like 2 billion dollars, and long story short, microsoft is now offering 250k (dollars not gil) for any info leading to "Zerocool"

I lol'd when I read it.

Re: Microsoft says DAMN IT HACKERS YOU PWNDDED ME!

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
    Microsoft Offers $250,000 Bounty For Worm Authors -- Internet Security -- InformationWeek

Aight, my take on this, and you may or may not have any experience with this virus, is that "Zerocool" (we'll call him that) wrote this virus, and wrote it so fucking good, that it basically can't be "Cured" without a complete OS re-write. 12 million PC's. That's what the number was at back in early january.

In the military, we aren't allowed to use USB ANYTHING on the government computers. They basically shut down the entire use of USB. I mean, that's how bad this virus is/was. (printers,scanners,thumbdrives,portable harddrives,etc.)

So it's cost the WORLD something like 2 billion dollars, and long story short, microsoft is now offering 250k (dollars not gil) for any info leading to "Zerocool"

I lol'd when I read it.
    They need to assemble a team of the World's Greatest Law Enforcement officers... And Macguyver.

Sam Gerard (The Fugitive)
    Max Payne (Max Payne)
    MacGuyver (MacGuyver)
    Inspector Gadget (Inspector Gadget)
    Elliot Stabler and Olivia Benson (Law & Order SVU)
    Gilbert Grissom (CSI)
    Inspector Jacques Clouseau (Pink Panther)
    Carey Mahoney & Larvell Jones (Police Acacemy)

and to lead them all......

"L" (Death Note)
    {New Sig in the works}
    -----------------------
    "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
    "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
    Originally posted by Solymir
    What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

it basically can't be "Cured" without a complete OS re-write
      Cleanup instructions - Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker.B worm

Conflicker exploits a bug in the Server service, but it hardly requires an OS re-write to fix as can be seen from the fact that the issue has been patched by MS08-067. People getting infected haven't been patching their systems properly.

MS08-067 was released on October 23. Conflicker.A was identified around November 21 and Conflicker.B around December 29.

Haitou User Error.

This is the way it should have been from the start, and it was in many places. Removable devices have no place in a secure environment.

This also isn't the first bounty for a malware author. You might think the author is some amazing guru, but really they aren't and this isn't really any different then viruses that were spread by floppy disks when all anyone had was a sneaker net.
      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
        This is the way it should have been from the start, and it was in many places. Removable devices have no place in a secure environment.
        hmmm. I agree to an extent, but at the same time, it destroy's your productivity. I can't train romainians about finding car bombs, because I can't move a Powerpoint presentation to their computers, without burning it to a CD/DVD...and imagine how well those work in a deployed enviroment. Not at all.
        not to mention the cost of burning CD/DVD's even if they are Rewritable.
        But no, your right about it not being as big as I hyped it. It just hit us in the balls over here, and I guess that was the point I was trying to make.

And these examples aren't even on the Classified Military network.

Comment

I think it's interesting that companies are leveraging the general populace by offering these bounties lately. On the radio I've been hearing commercials advertising bounties for up to 100k for turning over software pirates to the police. I guess they're realizing that a bottom-up approach is more effective and less costly than a top-down one. I'm not sure whether I should cheer for them or hide under my bed.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
            They need to assemble a team of the World's Greatest Law Enforcement officers... And Macguyver.

Sam Gerard (The Fugitive)
            Max Payne (Max Payne)
            MacGuyver (MacGuyver)
            Inspector Gadget (Inspector Gadget)
            Elliot Stabler and Olivia Benson (Law & Order SVU)
            Gilbert Grissom (CSI)
            Inspector Jacques Clouseau (Pink Panther)
            Carey Mahoney & Larvell Jones (Police Acacemy)

and to lead them all......

"L" (Death Note)
            You forgot a few:

Airwolf
            A-Team
            Cagney and Lacy
            Dukes of Hazzard
            Knight Rider
            and the cast from Cop Rock
            Thanks Kazuki.
            Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Skoal View Post
              You forgot a few:
              A-Team
              Dukes of Hazzard
              Knight Rider
              I also forgot the cast of Walker Texas Ranger, LOL. I probably could just cancel everybody else and just put Walker on the case, he'll find him by himself.
              {New Sig in the works}
              -----------------------
              "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
              "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
              Originally posted by Solymir
              What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Don't forget RoboCop
                Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Originally posted by Durahansolo View Post
                  I also forgot the cast of Walker Texas Ranger, LOL. I probably could just cancel everybody else and just put Walker on the case, he'll find him by himself.
                  [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBK31tC5QM]You may want to rethink that...[/ame]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

Working...
                  X