Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop inquiry

Greetings,

I have a few laptop questions in general, here is my situation. Ive built the last 3 desktops Ive had, the latest was built in prep for FFXI US beta, so that'll give you an idea on how old it is. Its basically a glorified PS2 as FFXI is the only game Ive really played on it.
    I am in the process of wanting to get a high powered laptop for use in Aion, StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3. I am quite interested in getting a laptop over a desktop because I want the mobility they offer and I am tired of always sitting in my office chair to play games (as comfortable as that chair is). I'd apprecaite all honest opinions and info.

1) Am I screwing myself over by wanting a gaming laptop over a desktop? I hear plenty of horror stories about laptop harddrives overheating, monitors blacking out and other stuff.

2) How long do laptops generally last? This desktop Im still playing on is like 6 years old or so. I find a few games I like and play them, I want longevity out of a laptop if thats possible.

3. Brands. What to shoot for? I always think of alienware but maybe that just an overpriced status symbol for something else that will work just as well.

Those few questions are my immediate concerns, thanks for your time and sights.

Re: laptop inquiry

1) Well I have to say I prefer my gaming desktop to my gaming laptop. Also my gaming laptop cost me WAY more than my desktop did. My laptop was a little over $5000. Also, realize that a high end gaming laptop is NOT that portable. They are big and god damn heavy so popping them in a backpack and walking around with them is a workout! My laptop is more like a desktop because it rarely goes out of my house.

2) Laptops can last just as long as a desktop if used and taken care of properly. Gaming laptops run hot, its just the nature of the beast. Its always good to make sure the vents aren't blocked and that you use it on a firm surface. If you do end up using it for long periods of time (i.e. any MMO basically lol), get a cooler for it. It helps extend the life of your laptop and keeps it from crashing in an all-niter.

Also, don't think that you are going to be sitting on the couch with that laptop actually on your lap. You'll bake your balls. Shortly after I got mine, I was really sick and took some pain meds one day, booted up FFXI and was farming, fell asleep with the laptop on my lap, and woke up with blisters. Even putting it on a lapdesk that sits on your lap still doesn't help much with the heat. Add to that the weight of the damn thing and you will probably end up playing this more at a desk than anything.

3) Do your research on brands. There is a lot of info on the internet. Google is your friend. In the end, its your choice with what you feel comfortable with paying and how comfortable you feel with that brand name.

I have a top of the line Alienware in that pretty bright blue. (And yes I did let the color sway my decision a bit.....stupid move.)
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Upgrade your stock ram to max and anything should play ffxi with decent graphics.

Ram is cheap, people don't realize this, 17-30 bucks for a gig stick. I got 2 gigs for 40 bucks.

Newegg.com is your friend.

I have a top of the line Alienware in that pretty bright blue. (And yes I did let the color sway my decision a bit.....stupid move.)
      My only suggestion. Don't get alienware. Its a rip. Most people don't know this, but DELL bought alienware, kept the alienware name, and put shitty dell parts in it. Alienware sucks now. It used to be the "top of the line" but nomore. Now days, a "top of the line" alienware, is laughable in computer circles. Overprice, and underpowered. Don't buy alienware, and don't buy dell. Apple is always nice. Acer is ok, but basically the low level of laptops, cheap but gets the job done. Fujitsu is a personal fav other then macs. Cheap and overpowered lol.
      Last edited by Potemken; 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Fyi, not all ram is cheap. He's also looking to play more than FFXI so he'd need to upgrade more than ram.

Yes, Dell is in charge of Alienware now. (I bought mine right before they bought them out.) But I disagree with Dell being shit and not to buy a computer from them. With Alienware you are paying for the name, thats for sure. I probably wouldn't buy another Alienware for that reason. Other than that I've been very happy with my laptop and I have many family and friends that have Dell computers and are happy with them also. Family and friends are always calling our house for computer advice and many times I steer them to Dell (I should get a damn commission.) I haven't been sorry yet.
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
          Fyi, not all ram is cheap.

Yes, Dell is in charge of Alienware now. (I bought mine right before they bought them out.) But I disagree with Dell being shit and not to buy a computer from them. With Alienware you are paying for the name, thats for sure. I probably wouldn't buy another Alienware for that reason. Other than that I've been very happy with my laptop and I have many family and friends that have Dell computers and are happy with them also. Family and friends are always calling our house for computer advice and many times I steer them to Dell (I should get a damn commission.) I haven't been sorry yet.

Well your very lucky. I work for geek squad. We tell people not to buy dells, in the best buy, we sell dell, and we tell people to buy them, simply referencing the specs of other equally prices computers and you can see the "shitty" hardware. Dell also only has tech support outsourced to other countries.

Ask any computer techies opinion on dell, and you'll see what I mean. Don't beleive me? Go to ars technica and make a thread about how much dell is awesome. Thats the most respected computer social circle on the web.

I'm not being mean, just saying...
          Your''s is awesome cuz its the awesome old skool
          alienware.

And yes, all ram is cheap. High performance ram that has been "overclocked prepared" from factory is still cheap. You just need to know WHERE to look.

Newegg.com or bust. Were talking 40-50 dollar differences from just about EVERYWHERE else. High performance ram being 70 bucks as compared to 150 dollars does make it cheap ram. Cheap for its type.

However if you looking to play say Crysis:Warhead, don't get a laptop, little room to upgrade unless you want a premade beast at 7k dollars.

If your looking for intense gaming, buy a desktop. If you looking for mmoing and general use, you can go laptop, mmo's are know for not being graphical intense.

Comment

Buying a computer is a lot like buying a car. What works for one person may not be for another. You should ask yourself what are the most important features you will need. Make sure you know the video requirements of the games you know will definitely be playing. Most gaming laptops don't have much battery life, but there are a few that are pretty good. The trade off there is usually with the graphics setup. Dual card SLI laptops will definitely not last as long as single card setups. I realize the battery life won't be a problem while you are in your living room, but you may have other plans for using it outside of your home. Of course there is the ever present budget. I have wanted a gaming laptop for a long time, but I can't justify the expense to myself.

Start doing some research online. There are a lot of sites out there that do reviews. This will take some time, but it's worth it. Always keep in mind the reviews are someone's opinion and not necessarily fact. To get you started I found the site below by doing a google search for "gaming laptop reviews 2009."

2009 Gaming Laptops Reviews-- TopTenREVIEWS

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to get.
            "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Potemken View Post
              Well your very lucky. I work for geek squad. We tell people not to buy dells, in the best buy, we sell dell, and we tell people to buy them, simply referencing the specs of other equally prices computers and you can see the "shitty" hardware. Dell also only has tech support outsourced to other countries.

Ask any computer techies opinion on dell, and you'll see what I mean. Don't beleive me? Go to ars technica and make a thread about how much dell is awesome. Thats the most respected computer social circle on the web.

I'm not being mean, just saying...
              Your''s is awesome cuz its the awesome old skool
              alienware.

And yes, all ram is cheap. High performance ram that has been "overclocked prepared" from factory is still cheap. You just need to know WHERE to look.

Newegg.com or bust. Were talking 40-50 dollar differences from just about EVERYWHERE else. High performance ram being 70 bucks as compared to 150 dollars does make it cheap ram. Cheap for its type.

However if you looking to play say Crysis:Warhead, don't get a laptop, little room to upgrade unless you want a premade beast at 7k dollars.

If your looking for intense gaming, buy a desktop. If you looking for mmoing and general use, you can go laptop, mmo's are know for not being graphical intense.

You're making 2 assumptions:

1) One assumption is that ever person that buys a computer is tech savvy so they need to be up on specs, software, etc. Sorry to disappoint but there is a HUGE segment of the population that is not. Thats why Dell is a good company for them. People like that don't push the hardware (email and surfing with a random game here and there) and most of their issues with a computer is software related. Dell offers them an option to customize their computer in a manner that they can understand, they know exactly what they are getting and not what some idiot sales person tells them to get, and in the end they are much happier with their final product because of this. If Dell was shit as you say, they wouldn't be the huge company that they are.

As far as tech savvy people, no they usually don't buy Dell because they have a better grasp on things. That doesn't mean Dell is shit for other people just because a small % of the community can build their own and choose to.

2) The other assumption is that dropping $50 for decent ram is cheap for a lot of people. Considering the current state of the economy, it's not. Especially since you are telling someone to drop a bunch of ram into an outdated system where it will do little to no good for his purposes.

Originally posted by Solymir View Post
              Most gaming laptops don't have much battery life, but there are a few that are pretty good.
              My gaming laptops battery life is 45 mins - 1 hour playing an MMO. If I want to watch a DVD, its 45 mins or LESS. lol (Found that out right after I got it. Went out on the road and was trying to watch a movie, got 1/2 way through and the battery died. Had to find a city with an electronics store that had a power adapter for the car. LOL)

Comment

I'd say go with a desktop. I bought a laptop a while ago thinking I'd use it for gaming, but these days it can't handle much of the newer games out there well and I can't upgrade it.

Comment

You're making 2 assumptions:

1) One assumption is that ever person that buys a computer is tech savvy so they need to be up on specs, software, etc. Sorry to disappoint but there is a HUGE segment of the population that is not. Thats why Dell is a good company for them. People like that don't push the hardware (email and surfing with a random game here and there) and most of their issues with a computer is software related. Dell offers them an option to customize their computer in a manner that they can understand, they know exactly what they are getting and not what some idiot sales person tells them to get, and in the end they are much happier with their final product because of this. If Dell was shit as you say, they wouldn't be the huge company that they are.

As far as tech savvy people, no they usually don't buy Dell because they have a better grasp on things. That doesn't mean Dell is shit for other people just because a small % of the community can build their own and choose to.

2) The other assumption is that dropping $50 for decent ram is cheap for a lot of people. Considering the current state of the economy, it's not. Especially since you are telling someone to drop a bunch of ram into an outdated system where it will do little to no good for his purposes.

My gaming laptops battery life is 45 mins - 1 hour playing an MMO. If I want to watch a DVD, its 45 mins or LESS. lol (Found that out right after I got it. Went out on the road and was trying to watch a movie, got 1/2 way through and the battery died. Had to find a city with an electronics store that had a power adapter for the car. LOL)

I don't assume. It is my job. Didn't catch I work for geek squad? Dell simply isn't for anyone. Not just NOT tech savy people but NOT for ANYONE. Dell has more problems then any other company, and contrary to popular belief, like yours, I work where I KNOW WHAT THE MOST COMMON COMPUTER PROBLEM IS, and guess what? Its hardware failures. Mostly NEW FUCKING DELLS. Whats your profession? I understand you knowledgeable from your random fact surfing of the web all day, but don't tell a baker how to make bread.

Also if he can afford a new computer at these times, then he can afford the extra 40 bucks for ram. Get a good job and 50 bucks isn't that much. Lay off the fast food for 3 meals? Sacrifice two months of ffxi to upgrade that comp? Work overtime? Go to college, so you can make big bucks like everyone believes?
                  Last edited by Potemken; 02-12-2009, 02:22 PM. Reason: i speak before i think

Comment

For the price that TGM paid for her laptop, you could have one of these:
                    Home

That is a liquid cooled computer that is submerged in some sort of non conductive liquid. I'm buying one to go inside my Gundam later.

Drooled so hard when i first saw it lol.

Anyways I have had my Acer laptop for 2 years and it is still running like a champ, I only paid about 1200 for it, but it is excellent for FFXI. I also played a few other older games on it and it did pretty well, but I wouldn't even think of trying the newer stuff. The computer I'm working on building right now will cost a total of 1600 when I'm finished with it. The good thing about desktops are they are more upgradeable than laptops.

If you're still set on a laptop I'll say that I like my Acer, and most likely when I need another laptop I'll grab one of those again. I've had 2 co-workers say that they had trouble with Gateways and Toshibas so you might want to stay away from those.

IMO I'd say you'd do better building a desktop.
                    {New Sig in the works}
                    -----------------------
                    "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                    "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                    Originally posted by Solymir
                    What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Oh hoho watch out everyone. it's an ITT Tech reject and HE WORKS FOR GEEK SQUAD. We have a winnar! Seriously, geek squad? The group of people who can't get real jobs working with technology? You're proud of that?

Dell does not have a higher failure rate when looking at individual machines then any other consumer manufacturer.

Hardware failures are hardly the most common computer problems, that would be the user. Specifically malware would be the most common problem. Of course, Geek Squad doesn't have the collective brain power to figure that out so its format and reinstall, you need a new hard drive now and we'll see you again in two weeks when it happens again.

And this, "Mostly NEW FUCKING DELLS." This is called anecdotal. That is not the same as evidence. You do not, nor will you ever, have enough experience to say that and have intelligent people listen to you.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Fuck you ^^

Comment

Yep I see and hear the train coming...

Let's all stay on topic please so we don't get this topic closed.
                          {New Sig in the works}
                          -----------------------
                          "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                          "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                          Originally posted by Solymir
                          What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

I understand you knowledgeable from your random fact surfing of the web all day, but don't tell a baker how to make bread.
                            Well you know, I don't really need to stick out my epeen like you do but I will say this...

I was building computers/working on software code when you momma was wipinig snot off your nose.

Also if he can afford a new computer at these times, then he can afford the extra 40 bucks for ram.
                            Here let me get this point across to you...

HE DOESN'T WANT NEW RAM FOR HIS OLD COMPUTER! That was your suggestion, not his.

Comment

Well you know, I don't really need to stick out my epeen like you do but I will say this...

I was building computers/working on software code when you momma was wipinig snot off your nose.

Here let me get this point across to you...

HE DOESN'T WANT NEW RAM FOR HIS OLD COMPUTER! That was your suggestion, not his.
                              I NEVER SAID FOR HIS OLD COMPUTER. FFS. I said max out a cheapo pc. Get a cheap laptop, and max out the ram, all cheap laptops barely come with the 2gigs needed to run vista. Quote exactly, where i said, max out the ram on his OLD PC. You must have misunderstood me.

Oh were you? what did you work on? Fill me in, plz. Share that knowledge, because i have a hard time believing you considering you suggested the worst company to get a computer from, and your a "dell" user.

Comment

Working...
                              X