Custom Build Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Build Computer

I didn't want to Hijack Tipsy's thread so I figured I'd make one of my own. Yesterday I received my EVGA 295 GTX and my Corsair 1000W PSU. They are currently connected to my XFX Motherboard with a Q6600 Intel Processor in it. Within the next month, I'm going to be swapping out the motherboard and processor for a I7 and probably by June, I'll have added a water cooling unit. Long story short, I'm looking at a few I7 motherboards and trying to figure out which one I really want. Here are the Motherboards I'm currently looking at:

Asus has 2 of the stronger boards that I have seen:
    Asus P6T: Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Asus Rampage II Extreme: Newegg.com - ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

I also looked at these:

EVGA Board: Newegg.com - EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    Gigabyte Board: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

I'm probably gonna end up choosing the Rampage II or the P6T, and I have a feeling that by the end of the year I'll have Quad SLI 295GTXs. Do I need it? Not really, but I have another feeling that I might want to try gaming on my TV.
    {New Sig in the works}
    -----------------------
    "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
    "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
    Originally posted by Solymir
    What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Re: Custom Build Computer

/em cheer's on Solo

For realz I've been doing the same sorta research, (I just found my new laptop P-7801u FX gateway from Newegg.com) and I was looking at what I'm gonna build when I get back home in April/may time frame.

That Rampage II looks really good, but it's awful expensive. If cash isn't an Option I'd highly HIGHLY recommend it. I've got an old MSI 939 AMD motherboard, and ...It's functioned, but I was told to get an ASUS and I didn't. I've heard nothing but good things on their part's, their BIOS, and their Customer Service. I said Highly twice. One of them was even capatilized.

Another thing I like about the Rampage, is the upgradablity. It supports 1866 ram, which is kinda costly now for 12gigs, but I'm sure will come down later in the year.

If cash is a bit tighter than that, I'd reccomend getting one of Intel's x58 boards, and getting a x-25 80gig solid state drive. I'm going to buy one to put in my notebook when I order it. I have heard nothing but great things about SSD's and with a core i7, intel board, and an intel hard drive. It's almost like the tri-fecta of intel....igence. and because I don't want to end this post on such a horrible joke.

Team america: world police.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
      /em cheer's on Solo

For realz I've been doing the same sorta research, (I just found my new laptop P-7801u FX gateway from Newegg.com) and I was looking at what I'm gonna build when I get back home in April/may time frame.

That Rampage II looks really good, but it's awful expensive. If cash isn't an Option I'd highly HIGHLY recommend it. I've got an old MSI 939 AMD motherboard, and ...It's functioned, but I was told to get an ASUS and I didn't. I've heard nothing but good things on their part's, their BIOS, and their Customer Service. I said Highly twice. One of them was even capatilized.

Another thing I like about the Rampage, is the upgradablity. It supports 1866 ram, which is kinda costly now for 12gigs, but I'm sure will come down later in the year.

If cash is a bit tighter than that, I'd reccomend getting one of Intel's x58 boards, and getting a x-25 80gig solid state drive. I'm going to buy one to put in my notebook when I order it. I have heard nothing but great things about SSD's and with a core i7, intel board, and an intel hard drive. It's almost like the tri-fecta of intel....igence. and because I don't want to end this post on such a horrible joke.

Team america: world police.
      LOL! Yeah I agree, My P4 board was a ASUS and I never had any problems out of it. The Rampage is supposed to be the ultimate OC board, and I've never done much OCing, but I'm probably going to be trying to learn more about it once I get the board. As long as the board has 1 ATA slot, I should be fine since I have 2 ATA drives. I might just spring for a SATA DVD-R drive since I took my original one out and put it in my mom's computer, which would solve one problem.

Least my brother will be happy, I told him that if I decide on building that new computer that he'll be getting all the parts from my current one.
      {New Sig in the works}
      -----------------------
      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

"Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.

Comment

I'm a fan of Asus and I really like the Rampage myself. I read a lot of good stuff about it too.

I laughed at the part where you said you were giving the old parts to your brother. My son did this to me recently and I'd like to punch him in the face right now. LOL I gave my main computer parts to my husband and my husband gave his to our daughter. I got my son's because he convinced me they were so much better than my own. (In some ways they were in others not so much but I getting frustrated with my computer so he talked me into it.) After I got my pc put back together with his parts, it ran fine and all was well with the world......until a week later. Long story short, there have been a lot of issues with my computer now and I'm sorry for ever giving up my old one..........and don't forget I want to punch my son in the face.
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
          I'm a fan of Asus and I really like the Rampage myself. I read a lot of good stuff about it too.

I laughed at the part where you said you were giving the old parts to your brother. My son did this to me recently and I'd like to punch him in the face right now. LOL I gave my main computer parts to my husband and my husband gave his to our daughter. I got my son's because he convinced me they were so much better than my own. (In some ways they were in others not so much but I getting frustrated with my computer so he talked me into it.) After I got my pc put back together with his parts, it ran fine and all was well with the world......until a week later. Long story short, there have been a lot of issues with my computer now and I'm sorry for ever giving up my old one..........and don't forget I want to punch my son in the face.
          LOL Don't punch him! I don't know what my brother has atm, but I know my system is probably better.

After i looked at the Rampage again, I realized that it'll cost me $912 + Shipping to get the Motherboard, the 920 Processor, and Corsair ram to fill it up. I'm planning on paying with credit and paying it off pretty fast lol. so $912 + $742 (Video card and power supply.)=$1654/2 = $827 which is what I'll be paying at the end of the month and then I'll probably pay the rest off pretty fast as well (GOGO TAX RETURN!!!). The good news is, I'll have no interest for 6 Months on both orders, so that's one thing I won't have to worry about.
          {New Sig in the works}
          -----------------------

Comment

I know someone is going to say to you "if you wait a while, those prices will come down significantly and you'll save a lot" or "you can get decent parts now for less money so why buy top of the line now". But I totally get it Dura, trust me! LOL While both of those type comments are correct, when you want top of the line now, you just want it NOW! And getting top of the line now means that your computer will last a long time before its obsolete. When I built mine it was top of the line 7 years ago, so I've had 7 years of service before I decided to switch parts with my son's. (big mistake, BIG mistake lol) So I got my money's worth and so will you........and besides that, everyone needs to go out and build a top of the line rig at least once in their geek life! GO DURA!

FYI, are you buying a new case too? I am a huge fan of Lian Li cases.
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
              FYI, are you buying a new case too? I am a huge fan of Lian Li cases.
              The Lian Li cases are nice! I'm probably gonna keep my current case for the time being. Its a Cooler Master 832 Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases its a full tower and its huge in size. I agree with you though TGM, probably in another 6 months DDR3 ram will drop and so will the price of the motherboard and chip, but by that time there'll be another 5 motherboards that are better lol and 2 processors as well.
              {New Sig in the works}
              -----------------------

Comment

Ya I have a Lian Li server case because I'm a hd whore. LOL It was so funny when I bought it. I knew I wanted a bigger case and I didn't look at the size specs. GOD DAMN bigger was what I got!! LOL It doesn't fit under the standard desks you buy in stores that have storage spaces for it and of course I had just bought one. LOL

Comment

Well, I went ahead today and paid off the Video Card and PSU and ordered the Rampage II, I7 920, and some Corsair Ram.

When I installed the new PSU, I realized that I have a bottleneck of wires, even though its modular there are still alot of wires lol. I like the fact that my motherboard tray is removable, so I can mount the motherboard to the case and mark off where I want to Dremel and then make holes for the power wires and such to pop through and go straight to the board which will give me some extra space. I've never done that before, but I'm pondering it. That would also help with space control when I install the liquid unit (whenever that is lol.)
                  {New Sig in the works}
                  -----------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X