Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a RAM whore is XP SP3?

Seriously.

Back when I got into SWG, I went out and upgraded to SP2, only to have it nearly double start up and shut down times, and leave my computer unacceptably sluggish. So I Restored to before it was in, because frankly, I'd rather be able to game and it was taking up my fucking RAM.

Now that this lovely bug is back, and they only give the patch for SP2+, I thought I'd go ahead and get SP3, but if it's just going to install a bunch of bullshit and add 5+ processes that do fuck all to eat up my RAM and will require an hour+ of tweaking to get back to the way I need it, then I think I'll stick to taking the chances I've taken for years.

So how bloated is SP3?
    "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Re: How much of a RAM whore is XP SP3?

SP2 was not bloated. If you had problems with it, you had problems before and the various patches simply exasperated the problem or you were running apps that were doing things they probably shouldn't. Each service pack for XP has improved system performance for the majority of people.

The short is you should be running the latest service pack.

If you think SP2 or SP3 are/were 'bloated' you're probably running a number of services you don't need.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I turned off the auto-updates, the firewall and other things. It was hanging at shut down particularly, with things not ending properly. I don't have a great many apps on this thing, and none that run perpetually along with the system other than AVG and stuff for my Vid card. Never had any virus infestation or spyware problems to attribute it to, either, and I've got 768 RAM. Not a 'womg' amount, but enough to run LotRO decently so I see no reason why a mere OS can cry.

I had another PC guru saying one of his machines just didn't like SP2 either, so maybe it's just my PC is a finicky bitch like it's owner. He told me it liked SP3 better though, so hopefully mine will.

It's partial OCD, too, I hate having 30 or more processes running.
      "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

Buy more ram

works fine in my machine with 2Gb ram, no sluggishness, FFXI plays fine on full everything. Rams so cheap these days i might upgrade mine to 4gb just for the hell of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Telera View Post
          It's partial OCD, too, I hate having 30 or more processes running.
          I'm interested to know what the rest of your system specs are. You probably should do like Jarre says and toss in about 2-3GB of ram. I think the most that regular XP can read is 3GB. I added 4GB more to my main comp so I can have 8GB total in Vista 64. (I don't play FFXI on my main computer lol I play on my laptop.) BTW did you ever get that hard drive problem fixed a couple of months back?
          {New Sig in the works}
          -----------------------
          "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
          "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
          Originally posted by Solymir
          What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

RAM in incredibly cheap right now. You might as well buy some extra if you're that desperate.

Comment

Yes, more RAM ftw. My gaming laptop (the one my work gave me) is loaded with 4GB - Windows XP only reads like 3.23 of it, but with that much RAM I never even notice that Novell, McAffee ENterprise VirusScan, VPN, AutoUpdate, or the various application "helper" processes (at least one each for Quicktime, acrobat, DVD player, disc burner) and all of the Dell "helper" programs for every useless hardware gizmo this laptop has, are all running simultaneously with FFXI.
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Working...
              X