Question about battery backups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about battery backups...

Well, after hearing about about the frequent power outages in my area, I got a battery backup for Christmas! Wohoo! The only problem is, I'm not sure it's big enough... It's labeled as 750 VA and 450 w, but my PSU is a 750 w. Does anyone know if I need to get a bigger backup, or will this one work?
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Re: Question about battery backups...

The 750 rating on your power supply has to do with the power output, not the required input. The higher that rating, the more things you can hook up to it without failure (partial or otherwise). Wattage is just a measurement of power over time. More wattage means more power over the same amount of time.

So, the real question, is how much stuff do you have hooked up to the supply? Is it just the motherboard, a hard drive, an optical drive and maybe a video card, or are there 3 giant hard drives, 2 DVD+-RWs, quad powered video cards and a large water-cooling system?

The first should be alright, but the second not so much. And, if you REALLY want to know... just make sure the new backup is fully charged with everything you want plugged into it, then unplug the backup from the house circuit. Presto, you have your answer. The worst that should happen is the computer would be turned off immediately. It's possible that the backup won't last as long as it's rated (in hours) as well, in which case you just leave everything on and time how long it takes for it all to turn off.
    Last edited by KingOfZeal; 12-25-2008, 08:05 AM.
    Kindadarii (Bahamut)
    90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
    70.3 + 2 Woodworking
    52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

I don't have a huge amount of stuff hooked up to it... probably somewhere between the two you mentioned. Just 1 hard drive, one nvidia 8800 GT, Dual-Core CPU... IT should probably work then. I'll try that unpluging trick out then. Thanks for the help.
      Originally posted by Ellipses
      Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
      Originally posted by MCLV
      A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
      More Sig:

Comment

Most consumer UPS's will run between 10-15 minutes on battery power. You might get more but they're not meant to run your computer through an extended outage. Their benefit is 2 fold; one you have time to properly shutdown when you're at the machine and two, using the included software (if it has USB port) it can shut down the machine if you're not there.

Make sure that only important stuff is plugged into the battery ports. Speakers, external optical drives and what not are not important. You only need the tower, monitor and any external HDD plugged in to the battery to shut things down. Plug the rest into a surge protector.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Depends on the model and your computer as to how long you can squeeze out of it. I've got a consumer UPS that's rated for about 5-15 minutes worth of power, I have my server (and not its monitor) plugged into it, and that actually gets me the better part of an hour of runtime before the battery runs out. If I know I'm going to be dealing with hours of outage, I switch the monitor over to the battery backup portion in order to do a manual shutdown. I also have the cable modem plugged into the battery backup portion so that in the event of an outage network services stay up and I can do a remote shutdown if necessary (provided that only the power and not the cable is out).

Of course, my server is a fairly low-power box, all in all. A desktop actually using all its resources, and especially a monitor, will drain the battery much faster.
          Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
          DRK99,DNC91,THF90
          Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
          Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
          WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
          Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
          All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
          Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
          Clothcraft 24
          Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
          BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Working...