Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to spec. me out a gaming laptop? (EVE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want to spec. me out a gaming laptop? (EVE)

Okay, I need a laptop, definitely.

I specifically want it to run EVE on, the best I can, for the cheapest I can find.

EVE running on the following:
    ---
    PREMIUM
    Minimum System Requirements:

CPU: Intel Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or AMD XP 1500+ MHz
    RAM: 1024 MB or more
    HD space: 8.0 GB
    Network: 56k modem or better Internet connection
    Video: 128 MB Shader Model 3.0 Graphics cards such as NVIDIA GeForce 6 class card or higher, ATI X1300 or higher and Similar chips from other manufacturers
    Drivers: DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers

Recommended system configuration for running EVE Online:
    CPU: Intel Pentium® IV 2 GHz or AMD XP 2000+ MHz
    RAM: 2048 MB
    HD space: 8.0 GB
    Video: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 or higher, ATI Radeon X1900 or higher and Similar chips from other manufacturers
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Drivers: DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers

The minimum screen resolution for EVE is 1024x768.
    Audio hardware must be Direct Sound compatible. For optimum performance, use latest drivers available.
    Please note that Windows 95, Windows 98, ME, NT and 2000 are not supported.

--------------

Can anyone recommend me a laptop that can run that, smoothly, without any problems?

I'm not very computer oriented, so I don't know what I'm doing.

I was looking at this:
    Alienware Area-51 m9750 Black Gaming Laptop SLI Ready - eBay (item 200272285460 end time Jan-05-09 09:26:13 PST)

But, I'm not sure, it's kinda expensive. And I don't know if it's worth it?

I know some people buy cheaper computers and just upgrade the graphics cards and what not?

Help here

--EDIT
    And by the way, how does internet work on laptops?
    If I'm in my room, how do I get internet for it?
    If I have internet at the house, do I need a wireless router?
    And if I don't have one of those what?

I don't want random internet from Wi-Fi either, I want to to be dedicated and not cut out...

(Btw the PC with internet isn't in the room)
    Last edited by Tipsy; 12-14-2008, 01:20 AM.
    In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
    And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
    Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
    Yeah, It’s true.
    It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Re: Anyone want to spec. me out a gaming laptop? (EVE)

Play.com (UK) : Sony VAIO CR42 S/L / Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1GHz / 3GB / 200GB / 14.1'' / DVD-SM / Vista Home Premium / Laptop / Notebook (Blue) : Computing - Free Delivery

This is one of the better ones I've seen. Costs £679 which is about $925. Not sure of Play will ship to the US and I'm fairly sure these are a hell of a lot cheaper in the US anyway. Mainly just linking you to show the specs.

Edit: And I have no idea how good Alienware laptops are like. The cost is stupidly high in the UK, you're looking at up to something like the equivalent of $2000-2500
    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
    Reiko Takahashi
    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG R610-64G NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5800(2.00GHz) 16" 3GB Memory DDR2 800 250GB HDD 5400rpm Dual layer DVD Burner NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS - Laptops / Notebooks
      nice piece

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

this place is awesome for computers and electronics. cheap and free shipping(on most things at least) the comp i built cost me about $200 and if i bought it in a store as a whole i bet it'd be about $500

and internet works the same as on a desktop.

Read if you don't value your braincells.

Comment

not going to bother doing the research on laptops for you, but I will answer your questions:

1- You should probably not spend more than $1000. For an EVE capable laptop, I'd try to stay in the $600-1000 range. I'd really recommend against buying laptops used; even if they function fine, they're more than likely going to have more serious wear and tear than a desktop. That's not to mention problems with screens, batteries, and simply being unreliable.

2- pretty much any laptop you'd call 'cheap' isn't going to have a graphics card you can replace, so what you buy is pretty much what you're going to have, except for memory (RAM) and storage (HDD).

3- if you don't have a wireless router, most (probably all) laptops have an ethernet port which connects to the same type of cable your desktop has.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post

I was looking at this:
          Alienware Area-51 m9750 Black Gaming Laptop SLI Ready - eBay (item 200272285460 end time Jan-05-09 09:26:13 PST)

But, I'm not sure, it's kinda expensive. And I don't know if it's worth it?
          First off, I do own an Alienware laptop and I love it to pieces. That said, they are MAJORLY expensive and not worth the price. Now. THAT said, GOOD LORD I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A REFURBISHED ONE! (j/k ) I paid $5000 for mine.........

Second, this makes me tell you to pass this one up:

All refurbished systems are covered under a ninety (90) day AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support Warranty. No extended warranty support is offered on refurbished systems.

I did have to have my serviced and I was damn glad that I bought an extended warranty. I sent it out and it was back in less than a week. Laptops are a whole different ballgame when it comes to having issues with them. I build my own desktop computers but I won't touch a laptop with a 10 foot pole....beyond simple issues. I'll put in more ram or a larger hard drive and I'll also clean out the fans and shit but beyond that I'm not messing around in there. So a good warranty is an absolute MUST, especially on an expensive one. So get one that you can extend the warranty for at least 3 years and if you aren't given that option then pass it up no matter how good of a deal.

EDIT: My laptop:

Though I will say that this laptop is NOT portable in the sense that you would actually want to tote it around. It weighs about 13 pounds and carrying this around college would probably contribute to a lot of back pain.
          Last edited by TheGrandMom; 12-14-2008, 08:40 AM.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Aleinware laptops are desktop components in a smaller case. and they don't understand phrases like "portability" or "battery life."

Just get a desktop if you're thinking going with Alienware so you can at least upgrade parts as you see fit.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
              Aleinware laptops are desktop components in a smaller case. and they don't understand phrases like "portability" or "battery life."
              OH BATTERY LIFE!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I remember when I first got my laptop and we were taking a short trip the next weekend. We were heading to Minnesota to see my "other son" in college. So about a half hour after we started driving, I get out the laptop to watch a movie. About half way through the movie, BOOM DEAD. It was about 45 minutes of battery life on a brand new laptop. I made hubby pull over in the next decent size town and we went on the hunt for a car adapter. LOL
              Originally posted by Feba
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              Originally posted by DakAttack
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Gaming laptops are nice if you live in multiple locations, like home, school, and a friend's house. Toting them around town or campus isn't easy. I bought a Dell a few years back and I can still play games, but not very well anymore. Games worth playing are mostly on console these days anyways.

Also, EVE sucks.

That is all.

Comment

Working...
                X