Clear All

• I have a new computer, it has windows vista

It's a Dell.

Inspiron 530S or something
    Intel pentium dual-core

My monitor is huge.
    I think it's like 1680 by 1050

That's about all I know...

How are the graphics on FFXI gonna look? I'm downloading the update atm, just isntalled the expansion and everything...

I'm afraid to maximize the window, if I even can. I never played FFXI on PC before.

I know you can't reall tell me, but, better than or equal to the 360 version, when I full screen it.

If it gets really blurry, any tips how to set it to make it not stretched ans such? Set it to the resolution of my PC?

Thanks
    In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
    And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
    Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
    Yeah, It’s true.
    It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Re: I have a new computer, it has windows vista

well without setting the settings for FFXI yourself its going to look like the PS2 version by default, and I would not run the desktop rez so high, there is no point in it

Vista will run fine on that laptop, but it all depends on how much RAM you have...if its 2GB, then it will run ok, if its lower, you will have problems.

If your looking for "better then 360" then go with rez 1280x800 or 1440x900

also read up on how to change the registry to enhance FFXI beyond the original settings.

Go here
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

I hope you got the Vista version of POL off of the official site.
      Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
      Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
      Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
      Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
      Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

You'll just need to play with the resolution to find the settings you want. Try higher and higher settings until you either don't like it or your FPS drops. Just make sure you keep your background resolution in line so it makes sense (e.g. a multiple of your foreground resolution), and set the aspect ratio in-game to match the resolution you set.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

I would edit set the game to run in windowed mode, and adjust the registry as mentioned in the link above to match your monitors default resolution for both the overlay and the background resolutions. A friend with a single core processor and older AGP video card was able to run the trial version at the same settings as your monitor (1680x1050), so unless the trial is gimped graphics-wise compared to the full game, it'll prolly be ok. Obviously do some testing after you set it up to make sure you keep your framerate healthy, run around Aht Urhgan or Lower Jeuno or something, go outside and pick a fight, etc. If it's running too jerky for your tastes, adjust it down to another resolution supported by your monitor.

Adjusting the registry manually is the biggest thing...game looks like poo on a PC without doing so. I run windowed mode at 1280x1024, maximized to fit my monitor, because I have a dual monitor setup and have firefox/ventrillo/and windows media player running on the second monitor while I play, but also on my single monitor laptop so I can alt-tab between the game and firefox.
          I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
          -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
          http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

all I have to say about this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post

all I have to say about this thread.
              LMAO! wonder if people will be the same for Windows 7
              (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ====【†】 BIBLE FIGHT !
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
                It's a Dell.

Inspiron 530S or something
                Intel pentium dual-core

My monitor is huge.
                I think it's like 1680 by 1050

That's about all I know...

How are the graphics on FFXI gonna look? I'm downloading the update atm, just isntalled the expansion and everything...

I'm afraid to maximize the window, if I even can. I never played FFXI on PC before.

I know you can't reall tell me, but, better than or equal to the 360 version, when I full screen it.

If it gets really blurry, any tips how to set it to make it not stretched ans such? Set it to the resolution of my PC?

Thanks
                If its only the res your after for FFXI (since thats about all you can change I think lol) It should look pretty nice. But it really all depends on your graphics card. Most computers can handle FFXI though.

I cant really say if your computer is any good I mean you did get it from dell and they fail hard core. I'd have pointed you to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! for an ASUS brand gameing computer. But if you dont know much about them :p I'd doubt that would help lol. Since you would have to know what to look for.

If you can find out let me know what Graphics card you have.

Oh and if you like invest in Windower [Windower.net] if you are gonna run FFXI on PC. Its fairly simple to install and run. Should tell you on the site how to do it. It is mainly for the plugins that people use it. But the windowed mode is way better with Windower than using the built in one SE developed.....

Comment

Originally posted by ruffrydasean View Post
                  LMAO! wonder if people will be the same for Windows 7
                  They said the same thing about XP so, yes.
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                    They said the same thing about XP so, yes.
                    Vista Ultimate 64bit seems to run fast and perfect on my ASUS gameing laptop. Other than it being a memory hog I dont really see what the big fuss over vista is about.

Comment

Oh and if you like invest in Windower [Windower.net] if you are gonna run FFXI on PC. Its fairly simple to install and run. Should tell you on the site how to do it. It is mainly for the plugins that people use it. But the windowed mode is way better with Windower than using the built in one SE developed.....
                      Actually, I was looking into that. Thought I had everything smooth until I pressed play and it shut me out as "Terminated, unable to enter full-screen mode" or something like that..?

It'd be so much better if I could minimize FFXI, so I can do my homeschooling <____< Anyone know how to counter it? Or how do I activate the SE one?

EDIT: Is this good for FFXI?

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS G Series G70S-B1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000&#40;2.80GHz&#41; 17.0&#34; Wide UXGA 4GB Memory DDR2 667 400GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo Dual NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT

Also, the computer I have, I never bought it. I rented it because my other one crashed...

I want a really sexy laptop for college <_< and stuff
                      Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G50V-X1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8400&#40;2.26GHz&#41; 15.4&#34; Wide SXGA&#43; 4GB Memory 200GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GT - Laptops / Notebooks

Which one
                      Last edited by Tipsy; 11-09-2008, 12:35 AM.
                      In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                      And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                      Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                      Yeah, It’s true.
                      It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
                        Actually, I was looking into that. Thought I had everything smooth until I pressed play and it shut me out as "Terminated, unable to enter full-screen mode" or something like that..?

It'd be so much better if I could minimize FFXI, so I can do my homeschooling <____< Anyone know how to counter it? Or how do I activate the SE one?

EDIT: Is this good for FFXI?

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS G Series G70S-B1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000(2.80GHz) 17.0" Wide UXGA 4GB Memory DDR2 667 400GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo Dual NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT
                        Ok there are a few things you gotta do with windower. Make sure your windower is in a folder on your desktop and not anywhere near your FFXI files. Then Open up your windower folder and select the file called "Launcher.gui" then go in and set all the res and things through that program instead of "FFXI Config". Now if .gu does not open your going to have to go to your "Scripts" folder inside the windower folder and select "ini.txt" I think its called. In there you can set the resolution and also put any plugins you want to load automatically when you start up windower by scrolling down to where you see "load plugin name here" Then just write out the plugins you want to start when you play FFXI.

Once you do all that if you are still having problems with windower. Make sure your FFXI config "Windowed Mode" is not selected. That also might be a reason lol. Oh and also make sure you dont have a rediculous resolution selected. 1280 x 1280 is a nice one too. Once you get windower to work right you will be able to minimize the game and full screne it in windowed mode so you can do other things while playing.

Ok now about the laptop. Almost any computer can handle FFXI lol. ITs that freakin old. But if you want a really nice one. I'd say to go with the first laptop. That is the one I have =] hehe. Its awesome!

Comment

Dont spend that big wad on a ASUS, thats stupid

I have bought 2 from Dell outlet and both work fine so far, had one for 8 months and just bought hte other one a week ago

They are good in price, and have nice warranties, and oddly enough the refurbished systems, work better then the new ones.....

Dell Outlet - Refurbished Computers - Refurbished Laptops - Refurbished PCs

For FFXI, 4GB of ram is a bit much, 2 GB and Windows Vista Home will be plenty.

Vista Ultimate is pointless as well, btw
                          Last edited by Kailea; 11-09-2008, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                            Dont spend that big wad on a ASUS, thats stupid

I have bought 2 from Dell outlet and both work fine so far, had one for 8 months and just bought hte other one a week ago

They are good in price, and have nice warranties, and oddly enough the refurbished systems, work better then the new ones.....

Dell Outlet - Refurbished Computers - Refurbished Laptops - Refurbished PCs

For FFXI, 4GB of ram is a bit much, 2 GB and Windows Vista Home will be plenty.

Vista Ultimate is pointless as well, btw
                            Buying from dell is whats stupid. My husband used to work for them. Their tech support is nothing short of retarded. They overprice the lowest quality of computers. You really have to know what to look for to even consider buying from them. Even then the prices are way too high for what your getting. Overall rating 1.5/10 and I'm not the only one to be saying that.

Also its a gaming laptop and for anyone to spend that much money on a laptop just for FFXI would be retarded. BUT FYI: Thats not all of why people buy laptops. Abviously you must work for DELL as a tech support lvl 1. Who reads from the manual. Otherwise you would not be saying such crazy things.

EDIT: Also for a laptop to work is not all you look for. Of course you can buy one from anywhere and 9/10 its going to work. Its the quality of laptop you get for the price your paying. DELL = HUGE ripoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Saphiera View Post
                              Buying from dell is whats stupid. My husband used to work for them. Their tech support is nothing short of retarded. They overprice the lowest quality of computers. You really have to know what to look for to even consider buying from them. Even then the prices are way too high for what your getting. Overall rating 1.5/10 and I'm not the only one to be saying that.

Also its a gaming laptop and for anyone to spend that much money on a laptop just for FFXI would be retarded. BUT FYI: Thats not all of why people buy laptops. Abviously you must work for DELL as a tech support lvl 1. Who reads from the manual. Otherwise you would not be saying such crazy things.

EDIT: Also for a laptop to work is not all you look for. Of course you can buy one from anywhere and 9/10 its going to work. Its the quality of laptop you get for the price your paying. DELL = HUGE ripoff.
                              Please dont tell me what you think I do for a living ok.....

I work for them now as an onsite repair tech, and I see broken ones every single day -.- but thats because I repair them onsite. I still recommend them, because out of all the companies, for a user who does not want to bother with all the tech stuff, Dell is still a good by, they are not over priced, unless you get into the higher end stuff. Even then you get all the support and repair service.

I can see you hate dell for one reason or another, like many people do, some people have great service exeriance with them, and some dont, but thats with any company.

That ASUS is way to much, a Laptop with dual video? oh come on thats way to much.

For what the OP wants it for (FFXI and homeschool) one of the referbs in the 700-800$ range would be perfect, infact I searched there just a hour ago and fond one for $700~ with a dual core and 3GB RAM, along with Vista HP
                              Last edited by Kailea; 11-09-2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X