Q on capturing video as a picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q on capturing video as a picture

I've been watching an anime that I picked up for my sister, and I want to use one of the characters as an avatar. However, trying to take a screenshot with the shift+print screen method doesn't seem to work. I've been fiddling with a few other ways, but none seem to work either. It's like the computer is treating the DVD player seperatly, I can copy the video player into other things and watch it in them, like Paint for instance. However I cannot find a way to get a still screenshot.

Reading some of the similar thread titles I see that I've forgotten about Fraps. You can download a free trial of that can you not? I wonder if I could create a short copy of the scene I want, and then screenshot the moment that I want or something like that.

If anyone knows of a surefire way to do this, and preferrably free, although I would like to know the options available to me, please let me know! =^.^=

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Re: Q on capturing video as a picture

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
    It's like the computer is treating the DVD player seperatly
    The DVD is an application that creates an overlay area. The decoder then paints the video in that overlay area. When you hit print screen, you get an image of the application and a blank overlay area. This is actually the way it is supposed to work, lest you create an unencrypted rip of the video too easily.

Try VLC.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I've been watching an anime that I picked up for my sister, and I want to use one of the characters as an avatar. However, trying to take a screenshot with the shift+print screen method doesn't seem to work. I've been fiddling with a few other ways, but none seem to work either. It's like the computer is treating the DVD player seperatly, I can copy the video player into other things and watch it in them, like Paint for instance. However I cannot find a way to get a still screenshot.

Reading some of the similar thread titles I see that I've forgotten about Fraps. You can download a free trial of that can you not? I wonder if I could create a short copy of the scene I want, and then screenshot the moment that I want or something like that.

If anyone knows of a surefire way to do this, and preferrably free, although I would like to know the options available to me, please let me know! =^.^=
      What videoplayer are you using? I think VLC Player and KMPlayer both take pretty good screenshots from video and they are both free video players. However, after rereading your question, i dont know if the screenshots work on DVDs but I assume they would. Otherwise you might have to do what Mhurron said and make a unencrypted rip of the video and grab the screenshot from there.
      {New Sig in the works}
      -----------------------
      "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
      Originally posted by Solymir
      What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

The DVD is an application that creates an overlay area. The decoder then paints the video in that overlay area. When you hit print screen, you get an image of the application and a blank overlay area. This is actually the way it is supposed to work, lest you create an unencrypted rip of the video too easily.
        Grrr, curse them and their tricksie ways!

Try VLC.
        Ohh, this looks promising, I'll have to download it at the library and try this later!

What videoplayer are you using?
        PowerDVD DX, it came as the movie player for my Dell computer.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

Comment

I see that I've forgotten about Fraps. You can download a free trial of that can you not?
          Sorry to digress, but 1) Yes there is a free trial you can download, but 2)Be careful if you ever plan to get the full version for *ahem* free because the trial version installs registry entry that will never allow a cracked version of Fraps to work on your computer... well there's a way around this but still. You'll be required to buy the software in the future, and sorry, but lawl @ $37 for a SS program.

Just a heads up if it need apply.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
          ------
          Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
          When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Ameroth, I wasn't planning on getting the full version for free, and I'm not overly inclined to pay $37 for a screenshot program anyways

Comment

If your are *really* into this, I would suggest combination of AviSynth ( http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page ) and VirtualDub ( Welcome to virtualdub.org! - virtualdub.org ) ... or read the guides or forum in Doom9.net - The Definitive DVD Backup Resource
              Server: Quetzalcoatl
              Race: Hume Rank 7
              75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Working...
              X