Need help with my internet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with my internet...

I have a rather... annoying problem happening with my computer. It has started to sporadically disconnect (and then refuse to reconnect) to the internet. I have a wireless modem that has two other computers connected on the same modem, and both are working fine. Just this one (my gaming one) doesn't. I have tried a system restore back to last week, uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, and even switching my network card to a different slot, but nothing has solved the problem. For some weird reason, when I reboot my computer, the internet works again, until about 10-15 minutes later, hen, once again, it shuts off and won't reconnect until I reboot my computer again.

Now, this is annoying in and of itself. But I still have the problem I had several months ago were my computer refuses to boot up after it's turned off until I power it off and back on around 10 times. Obviously, I can't reboot my computer every 15 minutes, so I need to figure out some method to solve this. Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Re: Need help with my internet...

You could always try swapping that network card for a different one, but for some reason, I don't think that would work. I'd actually worry about not being able to reboot my computer successfully before I worried about the networking/internet issue. Sure, not being able to play sucks....but not having a computer that works reliably sucks worse. Fixing the internet on a computer that has reliability issues when you have other 'net capable machines in the house is like putting a band-aid on an amputation.

System specs?(complete) OS? Purchased or built? Has it always done this? etc., etc., etc.

Link to thread about issue where computer doesn't like to reboot?

Comment

If the other pc's that are staying connected to the net have a network card and not a built in tothe motherboard one you could swap cards between two and see if it is indeed the card or something else in the compy. My experience with motherboards that have one problem is that they tend to grow into bigger ones as time goes on.

Comment

I've tried swapping the cards, it doesn't work. As for the restart issue, that is a compatability issue with my graphics card (I upgraded from the one that came in the box) and the motherboard. I tell you, I'm never buying a factory-built computer again. Unless it's a laptop.

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with that. I think I'll swap my old graphics card and PSU back in to see if it works.

EDIT: Nope. The restart problem went away(As I knew it would) but the connectivity problem remains. At this point I know it's either my motherboard or network card, but I'm not sure what to do about them. This computer is still under warranty, but I don't really want to go through the hell that is HP technical support...
        Last edited by Neomage; 09-09-2008, 09:52 AM.
        Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
        A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
        More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Neomage View Post
          This computer is still under warranty, but I don't really want to go through the hell that is HP technical support...
          Bite the bullet and do it Neo. It's just not worth the headache and you know you'll do it eventually anyways. My question is, is the warranty still valid if you replaced the video card? Did you do it or did you have them do it? I know most warranties are not valid any longer if you mess with the innards.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Just ship it back with all the original parts and don't tell them that you did anything to it.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

You mention that it's a wireless modem, but do you have it connected wired or wireless? i'm definetly not being a smarty pants, i'm just curious, if it's wi-fi as i suspect. Check to make sure all your cards and modem are running on one type of signal (i.e. All cards and modem on G standard, or all cards and modem on the new N standard)

Alot of Modems can mix signals to deal with multiple devices, but in my experience, it's caused alot of unexplained disconnects and headaches. Lock your wi-fi router into one setting by using it's bios software menu, access through your standard webbrowser.

most Routers arre 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.2 possibly .3.

just type that in, and it should bring up a menu interface. otherwise, get a post up on your full system specs, and your router, and your ISP, and the model numbers of your other wi-fi enabled electronics (xbox,psp,cellphone,slingbox) and list em on here for troubleshooting purposes....

Or just do what grandmom said, and call tech support and bite the pakistani bullet.

GL let us know what the status turns out to be either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                Just ship it back with all the original parts and don't tell them that you did anything to it.
                My old HP had a seal on the back that couldn't be broken except by licensed repair centers. All they would do is replace the damn seal thingie and you'd have the receipt for proof you didn't futz with it. I don't know if they still use the same tatic though.
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Well, I did a complete system reboot. You know, the thing were you delete everything and restore it to it's factory condition. Still. Doesn't. Work. I am... SO pissed off right now... I called the tech support people, and they said "well, the restore might not have gone right, so we'll send you new CDs to do it with..."

Yeah. Right. I think I'm going to take your advice TGM... Because guess what? Now my goddamn sound is gone as well! I doubt it will be logn before the whole things falls apart, and it just isn't worth it anymore to put up with the headache.

Now the question is, what to get. I am certainly not getting a Packard Hell again. Dell maybe. I am considering building it myself, also. I already have a Corsair 550w PSU and Nvidia 8600 Gefore I plan to use, but I'm not sure about the rest. Though I am going to college soon, so a laptop might be better... Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT:
                  Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                  My old HP had a seal on the back that couldn't be broken except by licensed repair centers. All they would do is replace the damn seal thingie and you'd have the receipt for proof you didn't futz with it. I don't know if they still use the same tatic though.
                  Well, the tech support guy actually told me to open up the tower and move the network card to a different slot... if there was a seal I could use that as an excuse...

Oh, and my wireless network is all "G"s.

EDIT2: And now my computer refuses to turn off unless I physically cut the power. The "Shutdown" command doesn't do it anymore. Yay.
                  Last edited by Neomage; 09-09-2008, 01:57 PM.
                  More Sig:

Comment

Well if you are going to tote around a computer to classes then of course a laptop for college. If its mostly going to sit in your dorm room then you might want to build yourself a tower.

My personal experience with laptops is a Dell, a HP, an Alienware, and a Sony. I'd rate them as Dell number 1, Alienware and Sony pretty much tied, and HP a dead last.

Comment

Originally posted by Neomage View Post
                      Now the question is, what to get.... I already have a Corsair 550w PSU and Nvidia 8600 Gefore I plan to use, but I'm not sure about the rest. Though I am going to college soon, so a laptop might be better... Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT2: And now my computer refuses to turn off unless I physically cut the power. The "Shutdown" command doesn't do it anymore. Yay.
                      I'd bet you a couple of bucks that your about to drop a Mobo....if I were a betting sort of guy.

As a suggestion, I'd say that you already have a complete computer that just needs a little love. Junk that motherboard and get one that doesn't have a conflict with your video card. Keep in mind that it has to support all of your other hardware and needs to be able to accept power from that 550w PSU. Buy a cheap computer case that has good airflow, a couple of fans, and a new OS. That HP stuff is garbage and best served by holding a space between the table and your coffee mug. It's really much easier to do than it looks initially.

As far as desktop vs. laptop....that's your call. Both have advantages and disadvantages. One is portable but will cost you more money to acquire. It's easily stolen, forgotten, dropped, damaged, etc.

The other means that your stuck in a room listening to someone do who knows what to someones poor farm animal in the room just down the hall.

...The other bonus to repairing your computer and installing an operating system is that it gives you an opportunity to learn something about your computer. ....and it's virtually fool proof. As evidence of such, I offer up the fact that even I can do it.

Comment

I think your right about the motherboard. I was talking to some computer guys in my class today and they pretty much unanimously agreed that it was my motherboard. So I'm going to replace it. Maybe get a new sound card as well. Creative sucks. Would my (non-integrated) HP network card(as well as everything else) work with a non-HP motherboard? Like I said, I've never doen this before, so I have an idea but I don't really know much. I'm just asking because as I said, my HP MB was not completely compatable with my new GC.
                        More Sig:

Comment

Thank you, thread, for cementing my lack of confidence in HP products.

Anyway, Onion, if you go with Dell, do some searching for Coupons. they have some pretty insane deals with those things.

Comment

I might go with Dell, but at this point I think I might just replace my motherboard. I wil probably end up replacing/upgrading one thing at a time, until eventually, all of my old componets are gone. It's easier for me to spend $200 on a new motherboard and use the rest of my working components, then spend $1,400 on a new computer. As I said, I already have an almost-new GC and PSU, so as long as I can get a new MB that is compatable with both of those it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as new a new MB goes however, anyone have any suggestions? my GC is a Nvidia 8600 and my PSU is a Corsair 550w. I was looking at Asus, but I'm not sure.
                            More Sig:

Comment

Whooooaaaa slow down there! Replacing the mb on a pre-made is a bit more sticky than that. You'll probably have to replace the cpu, install a new OS, and maybe other things too. All that stuff is integrated and just swapping stuff out usually creates conflicts. In the end, it will be just like building a new computer so you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it?

Comment

Working...
                              X