Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virus on Space Station steal login names for popular online games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus on Space Station steal login names for popular online games.

I saw this on BBC and thought it was funny.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Computer viruses make it to orbit

Re: Virus on Space Station steal login names for popular online games.

ffs.

Computer security is not rocket science.

Comment

Hmm, so now Aliens are trying to steal our passwords? Hmm, since RMT is technically illegal, would this make them "illegal aliens"? It occurs to me that lacking a pre-requisite Terran govt entity with which to file complaints of improper jurisdiction or international legal violations, this likely means we can shoot these particular "illegal aliens". Therefore, I propose we visit china and do just that.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

ROFL @ the geeks at NASA playing Maple Story on their work computers
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

They only said that they had a virus. Not that they played the game. Think about it, they're in freaking space. There's absolutely no way it would've been playable.

Comment

Unless he played it before he got to space. It was on his laptop, which was carried from earth to space.

Still, I find it funny that NASA has laptops going to the space station with absolutely no security measures in place on the computer itself.
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
              Unless he played it before he got to space. It was on his laptop, which was carried from earth to space.
              Thank you, I thought that was obvious but I guess not. LOL
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                I find it funny that NASA has laptops going to the space station with absolutely no security measures in place on the computer itself.
                NASA is a government program. It is not out of the ordinary to have a machine with no AV if it is never meant to come in contact with the outside world. The problem here is most likely the astronauts, though NASA itself may just never have clued them into it.

Now then. The laptop is not mentioned nor did it ever have to have the game(s) on it. It just had to be used to browse to a site that served up the keylogger or, as the article mentions, someone slipped in an infected USB drive.

This is hardly a story and is only here because OMG VIRUUUUUUSSSSSSSEEEEEESSSSSSSS IIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN SSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

They even mentioned many times that this isn't the first time this has happened.

But the key point isn't that a virus got up there, it's the kind of Virus that got up there. As it leads to comical notions of astronauts playing Maple Story IIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN SSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEE!
                  "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                    Now then. The laptop is not mentioned nor did it ever have to have the game(s) on it. It just had to be used to browse to a site that served up the keylogger or, as the article mentions, someone slipped in an infected USB drive.
                    It was a joke....you know that thing you do called chuckling? Involves your diaphragm? And before you say it wasn't funny, I could care less it was to me.

Comment

[quote=Mhurron;800554]
                      Now then. The laptop is not mentioned nor did it ever have to have the game(s) on it. It just had to be used to browse to a site that served up the keylogger or, as the article mentions, someone slipped in an infected USB drive.quote]

I always thought that the virus were placed on websites designated for that particular game.

So the hacker wouldn’t infect a website dedicated to life and trials of ants, but a website dedicated to the ups and downs of the AH trade for WoW or FFXI.

Unless they just assume that most players of online games are geeks and infect other sites too, like pictures of Space and Beyond or some guy’s blogs about star gazing.

SO even if it was a USB Drive, i think it's kinda cool I could be playing along side someone from NASA. I know most of them are geeks too, but still..

Comment

Originally posted by Phanex View Post
                        SO even if it was a USB Drive, i think it's kinda cool I could be playing along side someone from NASA. I know most of them are geeks too, but still..
                        Wait..

you play MapleStory??

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

No, never heard of it. I'm talking about FFXI, I never heard of any other online games getting hit on stolen accounts other than FFXI. Shows you how much I know about other online games. heh

Comment

Originally posted by Phanex View Post
                            I always thought that the virus were placed on websites designated for that particular game.
                            Nope. SANS Internet Storm Center; Cooperative Network Security Community - Internet Security - isc

They work on the same principle that spam does, cast a very wide net and you're bound to get someone. While the very high profile account jackings can be traced to a single event at a few sites that pander to that game, it is not required that be so; you're just less likely to hear about them. Recent infections of websites (not necessarily pandering to installing keyloggers for games) have simply been distributed by doing a google search for vulnerable sites and automatically infecting them, whether they have anything to do with anything or not.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

There's no mention anywhere of the games themselves being on the systems. lol

They could have gotten the virus anywhere especially since according to the article...

The laptops carried by astronauts reportedly do not have any anti-virus software on them to prevent infection.
                              billions of dollars a year and they can't even fork out a free license for AVG?

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Working...
                              X