Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCC rebukes Comcast; supports net neutrality

Originally posted by Peter Kaplan
    WASHINGTON, Aug 1 (Reuters) - Comcast Corp has been ordered to change how it manages its broadband network after U.S. communications regulators concluded some of its tactics unreasonably restrict Internet users who share movies and other material.

In a precedent-setting decision, the five-member Federal Communications Commission voted 3-2 to uphold a complaint accusing Comcast of violating the FCC's open-Internet principles by improperly hindering peer-to-peer traffic.

"Subscribers should be able to go where they want, when they want, and generally use the Internet in any legal means," FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said in a statement.

Comcast said it was disappointed by the decision and was considering all its "legal options."

The ruling by the FCC does not include any fines against Comcast. But it requires the company to cease impeding peer-to-peer applications, to tell the FCC how the practice has been used, and to notify customers about other network management practices it adopts in the future.

The complaint against Comcast was filed by consumer groups who said the company had blocked file-sharing services, such as BitTorrent, that distribute TV shows and movies.

The case has become a flash point for a growing debate over a concept known as "network neutrality," which pits open-Internet advocates against some Internet service providers, who say they need to take reasonable steps to manage ever-growing traffic on their networks for the good of all users. ...
    Full story here: UPDATE 2-US FCC orders Comcast to modify network management | Industries | Technology, Media & Telecommunications | Reuters
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Re: FCC rebukes Comcast; supports net neutrality

Given all the sneaky crap Comcast tried to pull, the only thing surprising about this was that it was a 3-2 decision. I mean, normally I'd make some kind of post in the line of the word "owned," but, seriously.

I also doubt this will stop Comcast from doing more of the same in the future, either, or at the very least trying to.

/pessimism
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

Well that article isn't biased at all.

Also, limiting peer to peer communications isn't even that big of a deal compared to Comcast's customer service. There are too many things wrong with that company to even begin, though.

Comment

Pretty much all the press on the subject is pretty slanted. The AP article may be a little better: The Associated Press: FCC rules Comcast violated Internet access policy
        "Would anyone here actually be OK if the Post Office was opening your mail and deciding that they didn't want to bother delivering it and hiding that fact by sending it back to you stamped 'address unknown, return to sender'?" [Kevin] Martin asked the audience. "Or would anyone here be OK if someone sent them a First Class letter, and the Post Office decided that they would open it, and deciding that because the mail truck was full sometimes, they would make the determination that your letter could wait, and then they would hide that fact from you, the fact that they had read your letter and opened it, and that they decided to delay it?"
        (FCC spanks Comcast for P2P blocking: no fine, full disclosure) Characterized like that, it's hard not to be biased on the issue.
        Last edited by Taskmage; 08-01-2008, 02:59 PM.
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I wasn't talking about a pro-NN bias. Specifically

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
          The complaint against Comcast was filed by consumer groups who said the company had blocked file-sharing services, such as BitTorrent, that distribute TV shows and movies.

The case has become a flash point for a growing debate over a concept known as "network neutrality," which pits open-Internet advocates against some Internet service providers, who say they need to take reasonable steps to manage ever-growing traffic on their networks for the good of all users.
          The problem with the first part obviously being that P2P is used for far more than piracy. The second part is simply too Pro-Comcast, without giving any of the "Why people say that's a load of bull" behind it.

Comment

Working...
          X