Anyone repair monitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone repair monitors?

So, here's my issue: I recently lost the functionality of my computer monitor. By this I don't mean it went dead or got a few stuck pixels. No, randomly when I turned it on, it would start displaying vertical lines to form pictures that looked suspiciously like the matrix. No real image, just a forest of vertical lines in purples, whites and blacks. At first, this was just once in awhile, but it has become more and more common as I used it, to the point where today those lines are pretty much the default image it displays. I started working down from the machine level to troubleshoot which part may be broken, and here's where I need help. 1. Switching video cards did not change the situation, ruling out the computer itself as my issue. 2. Swapping monitor cords also didn't change anything, ruling out a faulty connection or bad cord. 3. Unplugging everything and running self tests also triggers this behavior, which leads me to believe it's monitor hardware failure causing my problem. I'm not sure if it makes any difference or not, but during those rare occasions that it does work, the monitor displays just fine, good picture, nice depth, etc. However, after awhile of this, it will flicker like an old Analog TV set when your signal is off and the vertical hold will start looping before it ends up in that forest of lines. I can find online parts for monitors like mine or similar to mine, so I'd like to try and repair the thing if I can. I've opened it up, but I'm not sure which component is failing. It's 5 yrs past purchase, so Samsung won't have anything to do with it. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if it's just a resistor or something I could buy and replace or if I should go for the whole new screen. It's a Samsung Synchmaster 172s, if that helps. Hoping this can be repaired, as a 5 year old laptop isn't much improvement in the internet/FFXI department.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Re: Anyone repair monitors?

That monitor comes with a 3 year warranty. How long have you had it? I've also read on some of the forums I frequent that quite a few people have this issue with the Syncmaster line.

EDIT: Forget it...I see its been 5 years. The issue doesn't sound like you can solve it though....more of a professional repair and I don't think the monitor is worth it. If you do open it up, look for any loose wires. If you are comfortable soldering, try that if you find one. Remember...be gentle.
    Last edited by TheGrandMom; 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

It's most likely something simple like a loose cable or connection internally. Most of our touchscreen devices will have issues like that if one of the internal cables is loose or fried.

However, it's most likely not going to be worthwhile to try to repair it. A solid 17" lcd display can be found for $100-200 nowadays. I doubt any repair estimates will come much under that, especially when you consider labor costs.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Much like most appliances, few places repair home electronics anymore.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Maybe not in your area, but we have a crapload of places to take in appliances/electronics. Best Buy and Circuit City here will fix electronics for you without a warranty or purchasing it from their store. I wouldn't bother for most things because it not worth it but you can.
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Well, I went looking for loose wires and everything inside looks... pristine. When I fried my last vid-card, it was pretty obvious which resistors had blown out, they had that lovely fried electronics look to them. With the monitor taken down to the screen level, I can't find anything that seems burnt out. It looks brand new inside, as if it had never been used. I plugged everything back in, same problem. Hopefully I can find a new monitor cheaply. I'm going to start classes mid-month, I'd prefer not to spend money I'll need for books/tuition on dead computers if I can avoid it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

Working...
            X