Am i overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i overheating?

I have been using my laptop for a few months now, and i have noticed that when playing some games for a while, the game or program will slow down, then freeze entierly. I have the program Notebook hardware manager to check my cpu tempuature, and when playing games it can clime to around 61+.

At first i thought it was the cpu as the owner who sold me the laptop said it can lockup from time to time, so i upgraded the cpu. But it has happend again. I dont know if it is the CPU as everywhere i have read said that Intel Celeron chips usualy run ok at around 70.

Here are my specifications if it helps.

CPU: 2GHz (Was 1.7GHz)
    RAM: 1.2GB (Was 256MB)
    HDD: 40GB
    Graphics: 64MB Intel

My fan has 3 settings. Off, half power and full power.

Thanks for any information.
    "Leo used poop!
    The attack was ineffective!"

Re: Am i overheating?

my notebook peaked today at 170' F. But its steady at 140' F with low fan settings.

Comment

By the way, my tempuatures are all in Celsius. I am not sure what that is in Farenheit. (Not sure how to spell) Also my laptop make is Acer Travelmate 230 if that helps.
      "Leo used poop!

Comment

Overheating will cause the entire laptop to shut down. If it only occurs during games then it's most likely the graphics card acting up, which you might be able to replace.

Comment

You can replace laptop Gfx ?
          "Leo used poop!

Comment

From the sound of your spec "intel" its onboard graphics which is basically part of the motherboard / processor. Only its its an ATi or Geforce seperate graphics card can it be replaced.

the fact is with an onboard graphics processopr, the laptop has to work very hard, not only running the processor, but the processor is running the graphics side as well. it may be the games you are playing on it are too taxing to sustain on your laptop.

Comment

Acer Travelmate 230 series has the "Intel 845GL with 8MB shared memory" graphics. Those are integrated graphics so its unlikely that you can replace them since you are using a laptop. You should really contact Acer Ask a Question or hit up some tech forums for advice. I don't touch laptops except to replace non-integrated parts.

EDIT: Mr. Quickfingers beat me to it!
              Originally posted by Feba
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              Originally posted by DakAttack
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Here is the thing though, the games i play (apart from FF11) i dont seem that taxing.

Runescape: this is a java based browser game. It has froze on this a few times.

Armagetron: a small game that requires minimal specs. Has froze once or twice.

Age of Empires: hasnt froze on this yet. Im guessing it will soon.
                "Leo used poop!

Comment

61°C is around 142°F. If it was a desktop I'd say it's running way too hot, but I have no idea about laptop temperatures.

High temps can hang your comp regardless. You have to check clock speeds and drivers too because a bad configuration can cause inestability even without overheating.
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Vildar View Post
                    Here is the thing though, the games i play (apart from FF11) i dont seem that taxing.

Runescape: this is a java based browser game. It has froze on this a few times.

Armagetron: a small game that requires minimal specs. Has froze once or twice.

Age of Empires: hasnt froze on this yet. Im guessing it will soon.
                    Considering some of the issues I've seen related to this game and computers, FFXI is in a league of its own. LOL Seriously, try futzing with your drivers. If you are unsure of how to do that, just google it and there are guides about downgrading on the net. I had to downgrade hubby's drivers at one point to get the game and the video card to play nice with each other.
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

UPDATE
                      Its not just games it happens of. Ive just been browsing the internet and it did exactly the same thing. Although i had just been playing Sim city. But it was fine while i was playing that.
                      "Leo used poop!

Comment

Working...
                      X