Favorite OS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite OS?

What's your favorite OS? Don't forget to mention why?

I am an XP person myself. But I've recently witnessed the gorgeous Vista OS, and I must admit that it is almost like my ideas have been put into reality. The UI is perfect for me. It's conservative and doesn't clutter the monitor as much. Kind of makes you want to make sure that you have a pretty wallpaper to look at. The widget column on the side is a great idea. You don't have to load a widget page constantly. And you can have your most important information ready. Other than that, I don't know much about it.

I'm not much of a programmer, so I don't like Linux very much. And I am a Mac hater. I hate it. Those commercials piss me off. They're pretentious and quite a few of the advertising points are bending, if not breaking the truth. Superior virus protection, these nuts. Hardly anyone even creates viruses for Mac. Sorry, I'm just venting now.
    Windows Vista
    15.00%
    XP
    49.29%
    3.57%
    2.86%
    0.00%
    Linux (not familiar with versions, be sure to specify)
    15.71%
    Mac OS 8,9
    0.00%
    Mac OS X
    2.14%
    Mac OS X Panther
    2.14%
    Mac OS X Tiger
    5.71%
    Mac OS X Leopard (if you want to jump to conclusions)
    3.57%
    Last edited by PhiberOpticks; 06-29-2007, 12:42 AM.

Re: Favorite OS?

Linux. Just Works.

Also, we have a freaking penguin. It's so awesome that even apple ripped it off.

EDIT: Although, this poll is rather biased. I doubt that more than 10-15% of people have actually used an OS other than windows in their day to day life, especially for more than a week or two. Actually, I don't think there's anyone else here that's even owned a mac, other than Mhurron

Comment

Also, we have a freaking penguin. It's so awesome that even apple ripped it off.
      This is true. My brother used to have RedHat running on one of his computers back in the day. But he ran an XP visual on it, so it didn't bother me much. Ran games really well.

Actually, I don't think there's anyone else here that's even owned a mac, other than Mhurron
      I've got 3. 2 laptops and an iMac. They're all PowerPC though. My girlfriends got the Intel MacBook. It's decent, but I hate the Mac UI.

Comment

Ah, but how much have you used Windows in your own life, and how often do you touch linux?

Comment

Ah, but how much have you used Windows in your own life, and how often do you touch linux?
          I've been using Windows since I was about 7 or 8. And I only got to use Linux for a couple months, before my brother disassembled his computer. I've hung out with a friend who is heavily interested in Linux and is entrenched into the technical nature of the OS, and he said that Linux isn't very user-friendly for those not familiar with it, relatively speaking.

And for reference, I've been, regretably, using Macs for about 4 or 5 years.

Comment

and he said that Linux isn't very user-friendly for those not familiar with it, relatively speaking.
            He'd be wrong Linux is no harder to learn than Windows, at least the "Desktop Friendly" editions like Ubuntu. Heck, I'd been using windows for at least a decade, it took far more effort to be able to use OSX than Linux. The big problem with linux is that people who try to switch are usually already fairly good with their OS of choice, and having to relearn everything is a huge blow to the ego. "I'm a programmer! I make 1337 3D games! If I can't do this, nobody can!", etc. from anyone with Windows knowledge is really fairly common. Given my experience, I'd rate OSX as being the easiest OS to pick up and use, then Ubuntu (or similar versions of) linux, then Windows. Of course, nobody reading this will be picking up a computer like, say, a grandma would.

OSX only really has the advantage of ease because Apple controls *everything*, so it works together well. Linux is usually fairly painless as long as you check to make sure your computer is supported. Most are, but checking before you buy is worth it anyway, because Linux doesn't have the advantage of all hardware companies making drivers for them- a lot of linux drivers are reverse engineered. After that, Windows is dead last, because it's fairly nonsensical. Let's compare. I want to browse the internet. In Ubuntu, I click Applications, then Internet, then Firefox Web Browser. Ok, that makes sense. In Windows, I click start, then I click Program Files, then Internet Explorer. That's not quite as logical thinking, but I still figured it out alright.

Now let's say I want to download a game. In windows... there's nothing. I have to hope I can find games that aren't actually adware... or worse. Well, let's trek on and find a racing game. In Windows, I go to 'msn', because that will help me search, somehow. I look up "racing game". I see a couple links to wikipedia.. ah, the third link, there's a game! But wait... what the heck is this? This isn't a racing game! In Ubuntu, I click applications... at the bottom, there's something called "Add/Remove Applications". That should work! So I start that, and search for "racing game". 7 results! Alright! I click on a couple of them, press apply a couple times, and put in my password. That was easy.

Let's say I want to play the game. In Windows, after I finish installing it, I have to restart my computer. I click Start, then Program Files, like i've learned to do, then I click Games. But that thing I just installed isn't there... so I look around. Eventually I find it in a folder that was named after the company that made the game, because I had to buy the game at a store since I couldn't find something online. Still, why isn't the game in "Games" or "Racing Games"? In Ubuntu, once it's done installing, I click Applications, then Games, and it's sitting right there ready for me to play!

Now, I'm not saying Ubuntu is better than Windows at EVERYTHING, but it is at ALMOST everything, and much easier to use. If I were to, say, introduce my grandparents to computers (my grandpa worked for IBM, it's not an issue), I'd definitely use Ubuntu, not Windows.

Comment

I'll be honest. For the things I do with a PC (ie: Not that much), any OS works fine. XP, OSX, Vista, whatever.

Comment

Mac OSX at work is the dogs, I ave never had any major problems with it like I have with windows. Its fast, secure (well more secure than windows) and the icons and layout is so good. also when I want to end task it does it imediately when asked not freeze, complain then freeze again like windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba
                  He'd be wrong Linux is no harder to learn than Windows, at least the "Desktop Friendly" editions like Ubuntu.
                  He recommended that version to me as well for user-friendliness.

After that, Windows is dead last, because it's fairly nonsensical. Let's compare. I want to browse the internet. In Ubuntu, I click Applications, then Internet, then Firefox Web Browser. Ok, that makes sense. In Windows, I click start, then I click Program Files, then Internet Explorer. That's not quite as logical thinking, but I still figured it out alright.
                  If you can't figure out that programs are in the program files folder, there's something wrong with you, my friend. I hardly find that to be a valid point of comparison.

OSX only really has the advantage of ease because Apple controls *everything*, so it works together well.
                  That's because they couldn't get much 3rd party support. And now it's a sales point. It's got no 1st party art software, other than iPhoto, which only works with photos, obviously.

Basically, all you're saying is: Minus the hard stuff, Linux is easy. Well, I can apply that theory to just about....everything.

Drivers are a big part of maintaining a computer. Without them, hardware doesn't work. So if there's a good chance Linux doesn't have a necessary driver, then that's one point for Windows.

Now let's say I want to download a game. In windows... there's nothing. I have to hope I can find games that aren't actually adware... or worse. Well, let's trek on and find a racing game. In Windows, I go to 'msn', because that will help me search, somehow. I look up "racing game". I see a couple links to wikipedia.. ah, the third link, there's a game! But wait... what the heck is this? This isn't a racing game! In Ubuntu, I click applications... at the bottom, there's something called "Add/Remove Applications". That should work! So I start that, and search for "racing game". 7 results! Alright! I click on a couple of them, press apply a couple times, and put in my password. That was easy.
                  I believe Windows has something called Add/Remove Applications as well.

Let's say I want to play the game. In Windows, after I finish installing it, I have to restart my computer. I click Start, then Program Files, like i've learned to do, then I click Games. But that thing I just installed isn't there... so I look around. Eventually I find it in a folder that was named after the company that made the game, because I had to buy the game at a store since I couldn't find something online. Still, why isn't the game in "Games" or "Racing Games"? In Ubuntu, once it's done installing, I click Applications, then Games, and it's sitting right there ready for me to play!
                  In the installation client, you choose where you want to install the game. All you need to do is select the Games folder.

Originally posted by Jarre
                  Mac OSX at work is the dogs, I ave never had any major problems with it like I have with windows. Its fast, secure (well more secure than windows) and the icons and layout is so good. also when I want to end task it does it imediately when asked not freeze, complain then freeze again like windows.
                  You're one of the lucky ones. The macs I own each have to be taken in once a year to be repaired. They lock up all the time. They're slow as hell, even though they're G5 and I've got the optimal setup for it. I've got an old HP Pavilion with an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB video card that can run faster than that iMac.

Comment

Basically, all you're saying is: Minus the hard stuff, Linux is easy.
                    No, I'm saying that Linux is easier to learn than Windows. The "Hard stuff" (stuff the average user never really touches because the manufacturer takes care of it for them) will depend on the item, but usually it's still easier than windows.

I believe Windows has something called Add/Remove Applications as well.
                    It has a feature it calls Add/Remove Applications, except it's total shit. I don't think I've *ever* heard of anyone actually ADDING an application with it. Not to mention it's hidden away in the control panel, which itself is poorly named.

In the installation client, you choose where you want to install the game. All you need to do is select the Games folder.
                    I'd like to know who you help with computers. I'm not speaking for myself, i'm speaking for the average end user, who does nothing but click yes.

Drivers are a big part of maintaining a computer. Without them, hardware doesn't work. So if there's a good chance Linux doesn't have a necessary driver, then that's one point for Windows.
                    Yep, and sadly reverse engineering can only keep up so well. That said, Linux itself has better driver support than Windows. Almost every single bit of hardware I buy comes with a driver CD, and that hardware almost never works properly in windows without it. In linux, I've not had a single bit of my own hardware not be supported so far, and driver problems are increasingly rare, especially if you buy from good manufacturers. An nVidia user will have a much easier time than an ATI user, although it's still perfectly possible to use an ATI in linux.

To compare, if you find a cheap little hardware gadget at a store on clearance, but it doesn't have drivers, on Windows and mac you usually have to hunt them down, hope the company is still open, hope the drivers work, hope it's the right thing, etc. etc., in linux, at least 90% of the time at least you can just plug it in and go.

Comment

It has a feature it calls Add/Remove Applications, except it's total shit. I don't think I've *ever* heard of anyone actually ADDING an application with it. Not to mention it's hidden away in the control panel, which itself is poorly named.
                      How is that poorly named? It's the panel within which you control your computer. That's a perfectly reasonable name.

No, I'm saying that Linux is easier to learn than Windows. The "Hard stuff" (stuff the average user never really touches because the manufacturer takes care of it for them) will depend on the item, but usually it's still easier than windows.
                      Sounds like a sweeping generalization to me.

I'd like to know who you help with computers. I'm not speaking for myself, i'm speaking for the average end user, who does nothing but click yes.
                      And these are the same people who, themselves, cause their computer to crash when they click yes for every spyware application and popup. Then they switch to Mac and start preaching about how it doesn't crash a month into owning it.

Most are, but checking before you buy is worth it anyway, because Linux doesn't have the advantage of all hardware companies making drivers for them- a lot of linux drivers are reverse engineered.

Yep, and sadly reverse engineering can only keep up so well. That said, Linux itself has better driver support than Windows. Almost every single bit of hardware I buy comes with a driver CD, and that hardware almost never works properly in windows without it. In linux, I've not had a single bit of my own hardware not be supported so far, and driver problems are increasingly rare, especially if you buy from good manufacturers. An nVidia user will have a much easier time than an ATI user, although it's still perfectly possible to use an ATI in linux.
                      The fact that you're saying Windows won't work without a driver is unnecessary and doesn't prove anything. No hardware works with any OS without a driver. But I don't see what you're trying to prove with any of this. Nothing you said here proves that Linux has better driver support.

To compare, if you find a cheap little hardware gadget at a store on clearance, but it doesn't have drivers, on Windows and mac you usually have to hunt them down, hope the company is still open, hope the drivers work, hope it's the right thing, etc. etc., in linux, at least 90% of the time at least you can just plug it in and go.
                      What hardware are you referring to?

Comment

Aw crap, I'm the only one who voted for Vista.

I like Vista because, it's fun, it's see-through, and it has some cool features. I can't stand XP or anything lower, Macs OS is pretty sick tho, I've used my friend's macintosh laptop before, it was cool. But Vista all the way. No doubt.
                        In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                        And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                        Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                        Yeah, It’s true.
                        It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

That's a perfectly reasonable name.
                          When you want to change something about your computer, do you want to change Settings? System settings? Preferences? You should *always* be in control of your computer.

Sounds like a sweeping generalization to me.
                          Usually is, by nature, not a generalization. If I had said "Is", maybe, yes.

And these are the same people who, themselves, cause their computer to crash when they click yes for every spyware application and popup. Then they switch to Mac and start preaching about how it doesn't crash a month into owning it.
                          Yep, mostly. But even a Windows user that reads the dialog boxes before they click them is an insanely large number more likely to become infected with ad/spyware on Windows than in Mac or Linux. It is partially because of Windows' popularity, but it's mainly because it's just very insecure.

Most are, but checking before you buy is worth it anyway, because Linux doesn't have the advantage of all hardware companies making drivers for them- a lot of linux drivers are reverse engineered.
                          Yep, but those drivers usually work fine. The big problem with drivers is just a lack of support from manufacturers, but that's constantly improving. Linux's driver constraints are definitely less of a hassle than, say, Vista. I mean, I've seen MONITORS marketed as being "Vista Compatible"... what the heck does a monitor need to do to keep up with an OS!?

The fact that you're saying Windows won't work without a driver is unnecessary and doesn't prove anything. No hardware works with any OS without a driver.
                          I thought I made it clear that in Windows, I had to hassle for a CD, or a proper download, etc. for drivers, whereas in linux it almost always does just plug and play. It's not a matter of "lol it doesn't work without drivers", of course it doesn't, but with linux I don't have to go hunt them down like items in some sick fetch quest.

But I don't see what you're trying to prove with any of this. Nothing you said here proves that Linux has better driver support.
                          And it would be nearly impossible to prove it, as the amount of hardware you'd have to go through to prove that would be incredibly large to get any real sense of scale.

Tipsy; you should look up some Beryl/Compiz stuff on youtube. I've seen people pull off some really cool stuff with that, without being nearly as much of a hog as Aero. I personally don't mind the older looking desktop though, and since I hardly ever used the features anyway, I turned compiz off..

Comment

I am a huge Linux fan, esp. after my wife accidently deleted a DLL file from windows while removing a program.... wife casts Deathga @ windows>>>> windows takes 999999999 points of damage>>>>> wife defeats windows. The one thing you can say about Linux if you're not super user you cannot kill it, you can mess your own files up but the system at lest still works.

I've used Mandrake, Red Hat and Suse. My current box is actually a dual boot Red Hat/Suse.

On a side note, has anyone gotten FFXI to run on Linux?? (goes off to check the search function)

Comment

I don't think you can screwup a windows install without running as root either.

The problem is that you have root *by default* in windows; not to mention you practically have to run as root to get much of anything done.

FFXI is rated as garbage in WINE's AppDB, although you could probably play it just fine in something like VirtualBox, that requires running windows.

Comment

Working...
                              X