Huge AMD Price Cuts coming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge AMD Price Cuts coming.

thats right...... AMD64 X2 4200+ AM2 Socket for $175... add like 10% for retail price and you have some nice prices.

Found on Digg.com
    Check it out:

Re: Huge AMD Price Cuts coming.

I know! supposedly will happen next week.

I'm waiting to upgrade my system; not that there's anything wrong with my current system, but...

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

The 5000+ is going down by over 50%! I believe a system upgrade would be in order.

Comment

Um, there are always price cuts coming.

BTW if you haven't heard yet, they're making faster processors too.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

It's obvious that AMD is trying to compete with lower prices on OLDER chipsets vs. the new Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme.

Both those new chips form Intel toppled the best AMD FX-64 chips and their configurations in most benchmark reviews.

So technically, do you want to shell out for a processor that will be considered (Even Match) or (Incredibly Tough) by SE's Benchmark standards? (Actually I have no idea how the Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Extreme does on the SE Vana'diel Benchmark 3.
          Hacked on 9/9/09
          FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

That X2 4800+ for 939 seems like a very good option...
            sigpic
            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Core duos work in parallel. Apparently, they're the most advanced thing out right now for processors and computers.(correct me if I'm wrong)
              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mog
                Core duos work in parallel. Apparently, they're the most advanced thing out right now for processors and computers.(correct me if I'm wrong)
                They're old news for anything other then desktop systems. I'm working on a SMP system right now that does tasks in parallel so thats not news either. Sun's Niagra processors released late last year have 8 cores. The biggest difference is they also have an OS that handles Threads well and has applications that are threaded and SMP aware.

Multicore processors will give most desktop users a grand total of 0 benefits that couldn't also be had by getting a faster single core processor then they currently have. It would probably also be cheaper.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

The app needs to be specifically written to take advantage of dual-core processing doesnt it?
                  sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Hmm, now that I've looked at some prices and test results, it seems like the new Core 2 processors have a significantly better performance/price ratio than the AMD processors even with the massive price cuts.

I'm especially intersteted in Intel Core 2 Duo E6300. It seems to easily beat anything AMD has to offer in its price range.

Comment

I wonder...

X800
                      1 Gb ram
                      Athlon 64 3500+

Bench2: 7127 (high) Bench3: 5995 (high)

So with...

X800
                      3 Gb ram <--- (next week)
                      Athlon 64 X2 4600+ <--- (since it's the max my motherboard can handle)

How much improvement would I see?
                      sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

If you are buying or building a new higher end system then just wait for the new Intel chips to show up in mass, they are looking to be quite fast.

But it is also a good time to upgrade a old system or buy/build a Pentium Dual Core, AM2 or a AMD 939 system. Just avoid the pentium 4 single cores unless ther are super super cheap. AKA Preshott's (Prescott was the cpu core name)

Single threaded programs can make some use of dual cores but it limited by the application and the OS.

Basically for a single threaded game will not play any faster (might even play slightly slower) with a dual core but will "usually" suffer slightly less severe drops in fps. There are some advantages to using dual core processors but to fully use dual cores they need to start programing for a multi threaded environment.
                        The only game I can think of that can use dual cores well right now is a patched version of quake 4. (not that im recomending buying that game)

I will most likely upgrade my amd 3200+ to something faster but my system is already Incredibly Tough in Vana'diel bench, and it plays oblivion. But throw in good priced Zalman or Scythe cpu cooler and a (939) 4000+ or X2 4200+ will be all mine

Dam with these new processors cant make Preshott and EmergencyEdition jokes any more.
                        But atleast AMD beat Intel at there own game for a few years, and yes almost everyone admits Netburst was crap.
                        Last edited by Thrasher; 07-20-2006, 04:12 PM. Reason: Spaceing

Comment

Working...
                        X