Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final Fantasy XIII set for March 9 2010

Originally posted by Stormfalcon-sj View Post
    True, no MMO's been able to match WoW in terms of numbers. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing as Balfree indicates. All any MMO has to do these days is make enough money to keep running and it'll be all right. EQ2 is still around, even though its subscriber base is notably smaller than WoW's (and both launched at the same time), and they're even launching a new expansion soon. CoX has been around a little longer than both and it's still doing quite well for itself despite WoW's market dominance. Of course, the same can be said about FF XI.

Just because WoW is the five-gazillion-pound dire ape in the MMO market doesn't mean that it bodes ill for FF XIV. All FF XIV has to do is keep its player base happy enough to make money off of that base on a continuing basis, just like any other MMO does.

Oh, back to the topic at hand...does this mean that we'd have to cool it with the jokes about XIV beating XIII to market?
    Oh please, SE isn't your neighborhood company that work for you for free. All they want is MONEY, if you are the CEO of a company, would you sell your games so everyone can enjoy at a break-even or even low profit or sell your game so that you earn maximum profit.

SE is not here to "give" players something they want, they want money for their services and the more the better. Why would you stop @ 500k when you can get 10 million subscriber?

FFXI is a product that can't match wow in reality. Don't hide or try to avoid the reality. The numbers said it all. Just because you don't like WoW doesn't mean others doesn't and vice versa with FFXI. I am still playing FFXI myself, you can look me up @ ffxiah.

Keep running isn't good for business, it is making the dough that what company desire and that's why every company trying to clone WOW.
    -add later-

Comment

Originally posted by wrongfeifong View Post
      Oh please, SE isn't your neighborhood company that work for you for free. All they want is MONEY, if you are the CEO of a company, would you sell your games so everyone can enjoy at a break-even or even low profit or sell your game so that you earn maximum profit.

SE is not here to "give" players something they want, they want money for their services and the more the better. Why would you stop @ 500k when you can get 10 million subscriber?

FFXI is a product that can't match wow in reality. Don't hide or try to avoid the reality. The numbers said it all. Just because you don't like WoW doesn't mean others doesn't and vice versa with FFXI. I am still playing FFXI myself, you can look me up @ ffxiah.

Keep running isn't good for business, it is making the dough that what company desire and that's why every company trying to clone WOW.
      You misunderstand the point (and I'll point out to you that I play both WoW and FF XI, so painting me as a WoW hater just doesn't wash)

No game on the market really has any hope of overtaking WoW at this point. The ones that might've stood a chance of doing so, such as Age of Conan as well as Warhammer Online, have not. Beating WoW is not a feasable goal for any company, except maybe Blizzard when they get around to WoW 2, and everyone knows that.

What any company out there has to do is keep their services running at a level that keeps their respective player bases happy and continuing to spend money for those services. Look back at my initial post. Did I ever say that they had to provide those services for free? No. I did not. They have to provide those services at a level that keeps their customers happy and paying money, even if those customer bases are considerably smaller than WoW's because no company can hope to catch up to WoW's numbers at this point in time. It's simply being pragmatic: keep the customers you have happy and paying the subscription fees, enough to keep you as a company afloat at the very least, and hopefully pulling in a profit. It doesn't have to be WoW-scale profits. It simply has to be enough to keep things going at the very least in a WoW-dominated market.

Comment

I think you're being overly generous to WoW;

The game may have a stranglehold on the market, but it's starting to age and I'm not so sure that WoW is designed to hold up as well as FFXI was.

Take for example the end game situation; in WoW it's a race to the level cap so you can do Raids. Problem is, Blizzard is constantly adding new content that obsoletes the old content & equipment. This can very easily lead to people getting burned out.

FFXI on the other hand releases new content that is meant to compete with old content giving players more options rather than being strictly better than the old stuff. This way you end up with a widespread endgame scene where players have almost no end in sight as to what they can choose to spend their time on.

Take this insight into account along with the fact that it's a brand new Final Fantasy (that will be coming on the heels of XIII as well, keeping people fresh & enthusiastic about the franchise) and that SE is taking a more casual approach to this one, and I expect that it will in fact take a sizeable bite out of WoW's bloated ass.
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Funny we should mention this because this weekend at a wedding, I spoke to my sisters new bf who plays WOW and has for the last 4 years.

He said he loved the FF franchise and wanted to play FFXI, but, the only reason he wouldn't was because "he couldn't stand the thought of camping a monster for 36 hours."

Even though I was drinking, I lost it.

Who would and why did we all? I hope to all that is good and wonderful in the universe that this does not happen in XIV.
          °·-._.-·°¤.-º°`¨·¥|Kageshinhiryu|¥·¨`°º-.¤°·-._.-·°
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME!"
          sigpic

http://guildwork.com/u/kageshinhiryu

THIS LOOKS AWESOMESAUCE: http://www.deusex.com/

Comment

I didn't want to make a new thread so I'm going to post this here. I scanned some of the pictures from my Jump magazine to make some wallpapers/signatures/avatars for some friends. (My scans were far bigger but limitations made me resize them.) I thought I'd share them in case anyone else wanted to use them or were a FFXIII fan.

User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Alexander

Bahamut

Brynhildr

Poster pic

Battle pics

Lightning, Snow, and Vanille

Sazh, Hope, & Oerba

Cid

Hecatoncheir

Lightning

Lightning

Odin

Oerba

Oerba

Sazh

Sazh

Shiva

Snow

Snow and Lightning

Vanille
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

man i wanted to see those, but... boo websense... Denied.

Reason: The Websense category "Personal Network Storage and Backup" is filtered.
              75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
              RANK 10 Bastok
              CoP: Done
              ZM: Done
              ToA: Done
              Assault rank: Captain
              Campaign Medal: Medals
              Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
              This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

What is Final Fantasy Versus XIII? I went to preorder FFXIII and saw "Versus" as an also shopped for item.

Description from Amazon
                Product Features
                - Harmony is realized in this alternate tale of Final Fantasy
                - Unfolds wholly independent story in another part of the universe
                - Set in futuristic fantasy world resembling elements of modern day Japanese cities
                - Features completely new characters
                - Developed by Square Enix

Edit: Nevermind, found more info at Wiki that helped explain what it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII
                Last edited by Solymir; 02-12-2010, 11:43 AM.
                "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Ok thought I'd post this for the people trying to decide between the 360 version or the PS3 version. A recent article on Kotaku has some 360 screens you can check out. One of the screens really popped out at me, this one:

But if you go to this link, there are more and you can see the full sized images.

Final Fantasy XIII - Xbox 360 Screens - - Kotaku
                  Last edited by TheGrandMom; 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM.
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Stoking the flames, good job, Kotaku >.>;

Comment

Yes....

Fanbois! Sharpen your weapons!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                        Yes....

Fanbois! Sharpen your weapons!
                        Well, they can work themselves into a sweat and pass out for all i care.

There's like five other RPGs coming out next month and that's not including the DA:O Awakenings expansion that's also coming in March.

I'd actually like to see SE delay this a while longer, really. I don't like other territories are getting a special edition and NA isn't, really. That's lame.

SMT: Strange Journey, Pokemon: Soul Silver and Lunar: Silver Star Harmony are all offering me extras. What gives, Final Fantasy XIII?

Yeah, I came around on Lunar. The demo was pretty decent, although Alex still wants to make me fucking gag. "I want to be come the greatest adventurer ever, just like Dyne! O.O"

God, if there was ever a need for a silent protagonist in an RPG, Alex from Lunar and Vyse from Skies of Arcadia are prime candidates for shutting the fuck up.

Gameplay flow felt more like Crimson Gem Saga this time, which isn't a bad thing. LE version's bonuses are nice.

Comment

Arguing it at this point is fruitless anyway. While I personally maintain they gimped the game for the sake of the 360, there won't be any real, definitive proof until versus 13 comes out which is still exclusive. If there's any massive differences, then that will settle it once and for all.

In the meantime, I'm going insane over all the AAA titles coming out this month and next @.@ someone's gotta close the flood gates lol. GDI I still haven't gotten around to playing Uncharted 2, never mind ME1 & 2, AVP, Heavy Rain, and then you got FF13 & BF:BC2 and God of War 3 next month geez @-@
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I love the God of War 3 commerical... lol
                            °·-._.-·°¤.-º°`¨·¥|Kageshinhiryu|¥·¨`°º-.¤°·-._.-·°
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME!"
                            sigpic

http://guildwork.com/u/kageshinhiryu

THIS LOOKS AWESOMESAUCE: http://www.deusex.com/

Comment

i love boobs
                              75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                              RANK 10 Bastok
                              CoP: Done
                              ZM: Done
                              ToA: Done
                              Assault rank: Captain
                              Campaign Medal: Medals
                              Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                              This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

OoOoOoOoOo I love them too!

Here....I'll show you mine if you show me yours!!

NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X