Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQUARE-ENIX Planning Acquisition of TECMO, Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQUARE-ENIX Planning Acquisition of TECMO, Inc.

From Kotaku.com:

Today at 1pm Japan Time, Square Enix will be outlining its plans for a friendly takeover troubled game maker Tecmo. Square Enix's takeover would help the company gain a stronger foothold in the U.S. market with popular Tecmo titles like the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive games. What's more, Tecmo's games will help strengthen Square Enix's current portfolio, which is heavily dependent on RPGs. This isn't the first time Square Enix has moved in on a beleaguered company. In August 2005, Square Enix acquired Taito and wholly owned the company as a subsidiary by September 2005.
    Whoah.
    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
    Currently Playing:
    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Re: SQUARE-ENIX Planning Acquisition of TECMO, Inc.

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master View Post
    Whoah.
    Second.
    Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master View Post
      Whoah.
      Originally posted by Empedocles View Post
      Second.
      Third.
      Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Interesting.

So does this mean we'll get the much-anticipated Square-Enix bowl minigame in FFXI?
        sigpic
        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Didn't Team Ninja kinda curl up and die shortly before the release of Ninja Gaiden II? Its not so much that Tecmo was troubled as it was that Tecmo shafted Team Ninja out of a bit of promised money, by my understanding.

A lot of NG diehards are saying the sequel felt a bit more thrown together, particulary when it came to the difficulty curve, the lack of effort there possibly a result of them getting shafted so hard.

Comment

Some serious infighting led to some members of Team Ninja, Itagaki included, not receiving their completion bonuses for DOA4. Itagaki sued Tecmo and left, and a lot of Team Ninja left as well.

Clearly Tecmo was about to bite the bullet. SE sees it as an opportunity to buy cheap and get some quality IPs added to their repertoire. Shuffling some management should get the teams up to snuff.
            Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

Maybe Tecmo will finally learn how to make women instead of blocky dolls with cubic feet.

Squeenix-Tec ikimasu!
              sigpic
              "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
              Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Now the Dead Fantasy series takes on a whole new level of LOL and Awesome after hearing about this.

Comment

An update from Kotaku:

Earlier today, we first broke the news that Square Enix had plans to takeover beleaguered game company Tecmo. At the ensuing press conference, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada revealed that this friendly takeover offer wasn't as sudden as it appears.

According to Wada, there have been discussions since May with former Tecmo president Yoshimi Yasuda and Tecmo Chairman of the Board (and current president) Yasuharu Kakihara. Yasuda has recently resigned in wake of a slew of labor dispute legal trouble with Team Ninja and Dead or Alive member Tomonobu Itagaki. Wada admits that he was "concerned" what would happen regarding those discussions when Yasuda resigned.

This, said Wada, is the same as when Square and Enix merged, adding: "In entertainment, games are the equal of the film and television industry, and growth is strong. But, now the Japanese game industry isn't leading with the same vigor that it did previously... This is a worldwide battle."

As we broke earlier, the Tecmo Board of Directors has until September 4th to approve the offer. It includes offering to purchase a controlling interest in Tecmo by purchasing shares in that company at 30 percent premium (¥960 a share compared to yesterday's close price of ¥706 a share). But if Tecmo does accept the offer, what will happen to Tecmo? It will fall under a holding company umbrella, said the exec. But regarding the actual Tecmo brand, Wada stated, "To either be affiliated and losing the brand or possibly merging with Taito, that's the big difference." Square Enix acquired Taito in 2005.

Wada was keen to point out how important (and attractive) Tecmo's IPs were. Not only that, he praised the company's ability to produce top quality titles — most notably Tecmo's fighting and action games. Wada also lauded the company's success abroad. The Square Enix exec pointed out that talented teams are needed to make games. "While it looks like the games are made by a single, talented genius, games are made by teams," said Wada. When asked about the Itagaki labor dispute, Wada replied: "I don't know anything of the concrete details of this particular case."

"I can only believe that our proposal will be accepted," stated Wada. "I hope."
                  Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

this adequately portrays my most current emotion

Comment

Square Tecmonix ?
                      signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

poor monster rancher I new ye well...
                        Fighting without knowledge of the battle is like wacking at a tree with a rusty sword badly in need of repair.

P.S. ..if a male mithra is ever made available for this game I don't care what level I am I would start over in a heartbeat. Just something about playing a female as a male that bothers me.. Not for the dex.. but because I like cats

Comment

Tecmo has rejected SQUARE-ENIX's takeover offer. They are currently in talks of a merger with Koei.
                          Rockman - Fairy

Currently Playing:

Comment

Thank God.
                            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Owned.

Comment

Working...
                              X