• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Letter Regarding Hacked Somepage - From Square Enix

Thread about Hacked Somepage:
    http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...ijackings.html

Official Statement Released for Public by Square Enix :
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    We have received reports that a popular third-party FINAL FANTASY XI website had been infecting customers with malicious software. Our Legal team immediately contacted the hosting site of the offending third-party website and had the site taken down until the issue could be addressed.

While the website main page has had the offending code removed, we strongly recommend that our community be careful when they visit any website concerning FINAL FANTASY XI that is not endorsed by Square Enix.

While we have no control over these third-party websites, we urge that the community contact us immediately if any similar incidents arise in the future.

We also suggest that our customers read up on precautionary measures they can take to ensure they safety of their information online.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/pol...ews10343.shtml

Re: Official Letter Regarding Hacked Somepage - From Square Enix

Thanks for the heads up, nice to see SE has taken notice. And it's good to see you're still alive and kicking :3

^^ I got hooked on FFXI from watching your videos :3
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Okay, this is nice and all, but Whichpage is it, exactly?
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Somepage we don't know about of course.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

it's just crazy...these RMTs doen't crae who they hurt anymore...
          Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
          (have fun MMO players ^^)
          Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

What makes you think they cared before? It's just business.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

That's some scary stuff. Glad I never go there.

Comment

Any site is vulnerable to this kind of attacks since they actually hacked the site, although Somepage seems to have been abandoned a long time ago. But specially vulnerable are sites with ads in them (specially RMT ads), you never know what they could try to squeeze in your computer through those ads. I has happened many times before.

Separate computer for browsing ftw I guess.
                sigpic
                "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

yes but are they getting people back their account? All those poor people that were hacked and had their account stolen and stuff sold. That is depressing and frustrating for all users.
                  Last edited by Omniblast; 12-16-2007, 08:09 PM.
                  Hacked on 9/9/09
                  FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Whether people get accounts back or not seems to vary depending on some unknown circumstances, as well as how persistent they are in contacting Customer Service and/or whether they get law enforcement involved. The biggest impression I get is that SE's response seems fairly inconsistent, even to the point that people are posting the names of which service reps have been helpful and which are unhelpful (e.g. "keep calling back until you get Daniel, he was like the 8th person I talked to").

This thread has some links to BG threads documenting account compromises and attempts to recover them.
                    Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                    DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                    Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                    Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                    WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                    Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                    All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                    Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                    Clothcraft 24
                    Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                    BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                      What makes you think they cared before? It's just business.
                      This shows what is wrong with the world today(the fact that business people don't care about people)(I guess that is what a free-market economy instills in businesses--win at all costs reguardless of who you end up hurting)

I place the blame that this is happening on the web-site and nothing else. When will we start requireing that all web-sites have to make-sure thay have the most up to date anti-hacking software installed.

Lastly, do we have a list of which sites are endoursed by SE and what sites are 3rd party?(specifically I am wondering about ffxiclopedia.com)
                      u have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them

Comment

Originally posted by DR2D2 View Post
                        Lastly, do we have a list of which sites are endoursed by SE and what sites are 3rd party?(specifically I am wondering about ffxiclopedia.com)
                        They have a list of Premier and Featured community sites here which is basically their endorsement of use, but they are all maintained by non-SE people so they're all also "3rd party." There's even a little disclaimer at the bottom: "SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. and its affiliates are not responsible for the content of the web sites linked here, nor for any damage resulting from their use. Users access them at their own risk."
                        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

(I guess that is what a free-market economy instills in businesses--win at all costs reguardless of who you end up hurting)
                          That has nothing to do with free market and everything to do with a lack of morality.

Comment

Originally posted by DR2D2 View Post
                            I place the blame that this is happening on the web-site and nothing else. When will we start requireing that all web-sites have to make-sure thay have the most up to date anti-hacking software installed.
                            And what 'anti-hacking' software do you think they should be running.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Mhurron, I thanked you not for making a good point, but simply for being able to make it past the first line of that post.

Comment

Working...
                              X