Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Game Masters: French/English and German/English Speakers (04/17/2007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Game Masters: French/English and German/English Speakers (04/17/2007)

Have you ever wanted to work for a cutting-edge entertainment company or wanted to be a Game Master to assist MMO players with in-game issues? Now is your chance!

Square Enix Inc. is looking to hire some FINAL FANTASY XI players to provide Game Master support for our North American, British, French and German players. We are currently looking for candidates who are fluent in English/French or English/German. To qualify for the position, you MUST be fluent (both written and verbal) in either French or German, live in the Los Angeles region, and have customer service experience and a love of video games.

If you qualify and are interested in this position, please contact our hiring agency, Wired Talent at 866-57-WIRED. Point of contact will be Chris Washa. You can also email him at eugmjobs@square-enix-usa.com. Hope to see you on board soon!

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

-----

Bah! I knew I shouldn't have dropped out of French Class in High School when I had it.

Re: Seeking Game Masters: French/English and German/English Speakers (04/17/2007)

interesting, usually GMs have to speak japanese and english. So now we have French speaking GMs which will relay problems to the english speaking GMs, who will relay problems to the japanese GMs, who will relay it to the dev team.

Poor euros.

Comment

Re: Seeking Game Masters: French/English and German/English Speakers (04/17/2007)

Originally posted by Feba View Post
      interesting, usually GMs have to speak japanese and english.
      Not interesting at all. Japanese and English were for a while the only officially supported languages. They added French and German so now they also need GM's that can deal with people who would prefer to use French or German to communicate.
      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Yes, it's very interesting that these GMs don't have to speak Japanese, since it means that they will more than likely be routing their troubles through english GMs, instead of straight to the Japanese Devs.

Comment

Yes, it's very interesting that these GMs don't have to speak Japanese, since it means that they will more than likely be routing their troubles through english GMs, instead of straight to the Japanese Devs.
          A GM would never talk to a dev no matter what language they speak.

When you call MS about your home install of Windows Vista, do you really thing you or the guy you end up talking to is going to talk to someone who actually sat down and wrote the code for the system you're having a problem with?

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Eohmer View Post
            Bah! I knew I shouldn't have dropped out of French Class in High School when I had it.
            They don't hire GMs that actively play the game.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

A GM would never talk to a dev no matter what language they speak.
              This has been shown to be not true, GMs very much will talk to Devs during some situations, and GMs do forward on things to devs. There's a pretty big difference between GMs talking to devs about a problem and using bill gates for tech support.

And it's interesting that you say that e-ticket, most MMOs I've seen require you to have experience with the MMO for you to be considered as a GM. I can understand why SE wouldn't let players become GMs, though.

Comment

This has been shown to be not true, GMs very much will talk to Devs during some situations, and GMs do forward on things to devs. There's a pretty big difference between GMs talking to devs about a problem and using bill gates for tech support.
                No, they would not talk directly to the devs. There would be no record of what was asked, what the problem was or what the resolution would be. If needed a ticket would be entered into a formal system and escalated from there. From there it's reading and responding to the support request.

I never said you'd call Bill. Bill is not a developer. I said neither you nor first level (or second) level support would ever talk to someone who so much as wrote a line for Windows Hearts. There are formal lines of communications that are followed in large organizations.

Then again, you'd probably have to work somewhere to know that.

loose

Comment

Eh, bill used to do development. You said you wouldn't call a windows dev for tech support, and I agree, that would be a waste of resources. Of course microsoft doesn't have their coders answering questions. SE GMs have talked to devs in the past when serious troubles come up, such as Vrtra being pulled to Spook. I'm not saying it's an every day occurrence, but it DOES happen. And like I said in my original post:

So now we have French speaking GMs which will relay problems to the english speaking GMs, who will relay problems to the japanese GMs, who will relay it to the dev team.
                  The main problem here is that during situations where more power than a normal GM has is needed, and quite possibly just for GMs to forward things like "Glitch here, etc." to the dev team, they will most likely have to go through a lot more channels than E/J GMs do.

Then again, you'd probably have to work somewhere to know that.
                  When you assume...

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                    Don't you think that'd be a plus?? having knowledge of the game and dynamics of the game?? Its like company C needs a person who knows java script to do some work...do you hire A) person who has no background in Java script at all so the comapny would be payinghim to train in java script to get the job done or B) person who's schooled 5+ years in Java script and has many job refferences on his resume.

If i was hiring that's what i'd look for. if a guy/girl came up to me and on their resume they had among the other job refferences that they've been playing for 3+ years and have several FFXI jobs 60+ I'd put the in a top 5 for hiring.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Malevolent View Post
                      Don't you think that'd be a plus?? having knowledge of the game and dynamics of the game?? Its like company C needs a person who knows java script to do some work...do you hire A) person who has no background in Java script at all so the comapny would be payinghim to train in java script to get the job done or B) person who's schooled 5+ years in Java script and has many job refferences on his resume.
                      If i was hiring that's what i'd look for. if a guy/girl came up to me and on their resume they had among the other job refferences that they've been playing for 3+ years and have several FFXI jobs 60+ I'd put the in a top 5 for hiring.
                      Well yeah, it makes sense to me. Some guy from BG applied a while back and was told they couldn't hire him because he had an active account, or something along those lines. I guess they think people could abuse the position or something. Then again, SE has never been at the head of the class in the common sense department.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Well yeah, it makes sense to me. Some guy from BG applied a while back and was told they couldn't hire him because he had an active account, or something along those lines. I guess they think people could abuse the position or something. Then again, SE has never been at the head of the class in the common sense department.
                        EQ GMs were actively encouraged to be players also but they were each allocated a particular server/s and their account had to be on another unrelated one. Also, they were forbidden from divulging the name of their own characters. I struggle to understand how GMs are expected to moderate in-game issues if they don't have a working knowledge of the game beyond the instruction manual and the unswerving ability to say, "Fuck you" and, "is there anything else I can help you with?" in the same sentence.

Comment

Really? Because...

Originally posted by Eohmer View Post
                          Square Enix Inc. is looking to hire some FINAL FANTASY XI players to provide Game Master support for our North American, British, French and German players.
                          Even they mention it.

Comment

Eh, bill used to do development. You said you wouldn't call a windows dev for tech support, and I agree, that would be a waste of resources. Of course microsoft doesn't have their coders answering questions. SE GMs have talked to devs in the past when serious troubles come up, such as Vrtra being pulled to Spook. I'm not saying it's an every day occurrence, but it DOES happen. And like I said in my original post:
                            It doesn't matter, the GM's don't talk with the dev is the point Mhurron is trying to make. It goes through a series of channels for whatever the GM has to say to the devs to finally get there, no matter how severe the situation is, they won't talk directly. All that a severe situation would do is quicken the delivering of the message. Anyone whose worked or has info in regards to how businesses/corporations work kinda know's this.
                            Cleverness - Hades
                            75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
                            DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

It doesn't matter,
                              What doesn't matter, everything after the first sentence? That's the message i'm getting, considering you apparently only read that.

Comment

Working...
                              X