Legion (Formerly known as Last Stand) Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legion (Formerly known as Last Stand) Information

I just figured I would update here with all the info that's going on in the official forums for those of you who aren't necessarily keeping track of it. So far... this is everything that's been going on...

--------------------------------------------------------

[dev1047] New Battle System: Legion (Formerly "Last Stand")

*The following content is in development. Specific details may differ from the release version.

Overview
    Legion is a new battle system intended to challenge high-level adventurers in alliances of eighteen to thirty-six combatants. Legion will feature unique battlefields in which combatants will be pitted against legions of formidable high-level notorious monsters (HNMs). Slay as many foes as possible within the thirty-minute time limit to reap a host of exciting rewards!

Requirements
    - Main job of level 75 or above
    - Three to thirty-six participants
    *On the test server, Legion battles may be conducted with only one or two participants.

Participating in Legion
    1. Speak to Saarlan in Sauromugue Champaign (E-6) and pay the participation fee of 360,000 gil to receive the “Legion tome page” key item.
    *Only one representative from your alliance need possess this key item.
    2. With the key item in your possession, speak to Mayuyu in the same area and choose your desired battlefield and capacity (eighteen or thirty-six combatants). After your selections are confirmed, you will receive a Legion pass.
    *As a single Legion pass can transport up to eighteen players, larger groups will receive two passes.
    *Legion passes will be valid for five minutes (Earth time) after issuance.
    3. Have your alliance leader trade the issued pass to the Legion Tome to enter the Legion entrance lobby.
    Make sure to configure your alliance as desired before trading the pass. Should any members be lower than level 75, your alliance will be refused entry.
    *For groups larger than eighteen, it will be necessary to trade the extra Legion pass to the leader of your second alliance or party.
    4. From the lobby, examine the Legion Portal or simply wait for the allotted time to elapse. You will be transported to the battlefield to commence the fight!

Spoils of War
    - Each HNM defeated will yield items and Legion points.
    - Items will be placed in a treasure pool to be lotted on by all participants.
    - Loot quality and Legion point rewards will increase the more foes you slay.
    - Legion points may be redeemed with Saarlan for a variety of rewards.
    *Legion point exchange will be implemented at a later date.

*Equipment rewards currently implemented on the test server are placeholders and do not reflect the rewards that will be obtainable in the release version.

----------------------------------------------------------

Camate's First Response

Howdy everyone!

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

I will have another post ready in just a little while to share some more information about Legion, but in the meantime I would like to share a post from Director Mizuki Ito with you which gives some insight into the new Legion content

Originally Posted by Mizuki_Ito

Hello! This is Director Mizuki Ito.

With the test server update, we have implemented “Legion (formerly The Last Stand)”

We have already mentioned this in the overview, but Legion is a new type of battle content that is geared towards 18-36 players with high level characters. Since it is a reserved area system, it might be easy to understand what it is if you imagine the atmosphere of Limbus.

With the large scale Legion content and the smaller scale Nyzul Isle Uncharted Region, our goal is to increase the options to you depending on how many people you have.

We added this to the test server with this recent update so that you could get an idea what kind of system Legion is as well as get a feel for the general flow of the content from beginning to end.

We will be constantly adjusting the system, meaning battle balance of course, as well as drop rates and the amount of Legion point rewards, so please let us know all of your feedback.

Camate's Second Response

Alrighty, now for the promised post. Sorry it took me a bit!

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to properly test this content due to a bug. (This has been fixed!)

Many players have requested that this content be accessible to smaller parties, but as Director Ito stated, Legion is meant for large parties. This does not mean that we do not plan on implementing new content for smaller parties. As the “Nyzul Isle Investigation” is meant for smaller parties, Legion is meant for larger parties. We hope you understand.

I understand that this content involves claimed zones, but is it possible for multiple parties to simultaneously enter the same zone?
    I really hope that the tragedies of the old Dynamis and Limbus areas are not repeated.
    Similarly to the “Nyzul Isle Investigation,” the claimed zones in Legion will turn into an instance. Although there will be a limit, multiple parties will be able to simultaneously enter the same area.

I am genuinely happy that we are given 30 minutes for this content.
    However, I would like the difficulty to be adjusted based on the number of players participating.

If one legion pass is traded, the difficulty will be set for 18 players.
    If two legion passes are traded, the difficulty will be set for 18 players plus the number of additional players in the second pass (6, 12 or 18 players).
    We adjust the difficulty based on the number of players participating by adjusting the strength of the monsters that appear.

Other than that, there are no differences based on the number of players, so players will be able to enjoy the same battle content and obtain the same loot and legion points whether they have 18 players or 36.
    ※Although the content may be the same, it is possible for an alliance of 36 players to be able to obtain more loot, since they will be able to defeat more monsters.

I do not want items to be dropped using the lotting system! I want items to be dropped as individual rewards!
    The reward system for Legion is separated into the lotting system and trading for legion points. Trading for legion points is more similar to the individual reward system that you bring up.
    Also, since this content has a time limit, we decided that obtaining loot from treasure chests would take up too much time. There is no limit to the number of monsters that appear, so players can maximize their obtained loot by defeating more monsters within the given time.

I would like players to creatively strategize to obtain as much loot as possible in one run.

Camate's Third Response

Howdy!

Based on all the feedback we have been receiving I just wanted to address some of the issues regarding preparation for this content and the required number of players.

Changes to the steps leading up to the battle

Currently, players will be automatically transported to the battlefield to begin the battle 5 minutes after the Legion pass is issued. However, in order to avoid players being forced to begin the battle before they are fully prepared, we will adjust this feature so that players are only transported to the battlefield once they have chosen to begin the battle. This change will be reflected during the next test server update.

Number of participants and battle difficulty

It was said that “based on your circumstance, please try this battle with either 18 or 36 players.”
    This suggests that you can only select from 2 difficulty levels.

As such, it will be difficult to succeed unless there are exactly 18 or 36 players.

My point is that if there are 19 players, the 18 player option is unavailable, so the 36 player option must be chosen. However, it would be difficult to complete content with difficulty set for 36 players with only 19 players.

I would like the difficulty set for each number of participating players between 18 and 36, for example if there are 19 players participating, the difficulty should be set for 19 players.

If there are only 2 difficulty levels, I am afraid that the content can only be enjoyed with exactly 18 or 36 players, which would make it difficult to casually gather players to try this content.
    The biggest difference between selecting 18 players or 36 players is the difference in the number of Legion passes issued. The strength of the monsters is adjusted based on the number of players participating, but the number and types of monsters that appear are unaffected.

The point of legion is not to “complete” the battle, but to see how many monsters can be defeated in the given time. As such, the difference caused by changing the number of participating players is that the number of monsters defeated (≒number of loot items) will change. There will be no inconvenience in game-play due to a lack of participating players.

With that said, there is a significant difference in battle capabilities between 10 players and 30 players, which is why we decided to prepare 2 versions of the battle. As a result, having fewer players is not a disadvantage and having many players is not an advantage.

We would like to continue to answer your questions and suggestions, so please continue to give your feedback.

Camate's Fourth Response

I have returned yet again to share some additional responses to feedback in regards to the new Legion content.

Are there essentially only 2 (for 18 or 36 players) difficulty levels?
    Does this mean that it would be very difficult to attempt the battle for 36 players with only 19 players?
    Would it be possible to set the battle for 18 players at the easiest setting and gradually increase the difficulty for each additional player participating? I think that would be more enjoyable for the players.
    I think it would be best to set the lowest difficulty setting for the minimum possible number of participating players and gradually increase the difficulty for each additional player participating.

I understand that adjusting the balance would probably be difficult, but it would be great if difficulty settings for 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 and 36 players can be prepared.

In order to prevent all players from participating in this content with a 6 player party, a bonus that increases with the number of players participating can be implemented.

A special point system can be implemented, in which more bonus points are awarded when more players are participating.
    The difficulty for the 36 player version will not be twice as difficult as the 18 player version. The difference will not be large enough to cause a significant disadvantage.

In terms of efficiency, it would definitely be more efficient to participate with exactly 18 or 36 players, but it is still possible to participate in this content with fewer players, although efficiency would be sacrificed. In other words, it is not necessary to gather 36 players, and the difficulty settings will be set so that it is still possible to complete this content with 19 players.

Differences in battle strength will not affect the strength of the monsters, but instead will affect the number of monsters the party is able to defeat.

The fact that legion content is not based on completion/fail basis is the biggest difference from usual battlefields. If the enemies’ strength is changed linearly with the number of players participating, parties of 19 or 36 players would be able to defeat the same number of monsters. This would greatly alter the foundation of this content, including how loot is distributed.

Finally, the minimum number of players necessary to participate in this content is intentionally set lower than the number of players necessary to effectively participate in this content. This is because we do not want to set system limitations so that players are unable to creatively take on a very difficult challenge. I think it would be fun for players to attempt challenges such as trying to defeat only one monster with a very small party.

I apologize if this question has been asked before.

What will happen to the items in the loot pool once 30 minutes are up?
    If the loot is placed at the entrance after the battle, as was the case with Limbus, the loot will remain in the loot pool, which gives players about 5 minutes to distribute the loot.
    From what I can tell, it seems like players will be sent out to Sauromugue after the battle.

Actually, I was trying to test this out while soloing and failed miserably. I got demolished by turtles, snakes and wyrms... lol

This content is a continuous battle against monsters, so I’m sure there will be occasions where a monster is defeated right before time is up. I would be very disappointed if these efforts are for naught, so I would like to know how the time limit and loot distribution will actually work.
    There is no need to worry. In order for players to be able to enjoy the battle right until the end, we will prepare time, which is separate from the time limit, for players to distribute loot. To be specific, once the time limit is up, players will be transferred to the lobby area, where they will have 5 minutes to lot on loot.

Since it seems like items are distributed through the lotting system, is this a good representation of the loot system in legion?

Less players
    Pros: Less lotting competition (If 6 players are going after 1 item, there is a 16% chance of obtaining the item)
    Cons: Less monsters defeated (less item drops), More responsibility for players during the battle
    More players
    Pros: More monsters defeated (more item drops), Less responsibility for players during the battle
    Cons: More lotting competition (If 36 players are going after 1 item, there is a 2% chance of obtaining the item)
    With regard to loot, players can obtain loot either through trading Legion points or through the lotting system. If a lot of monsters are defeated by many players, there will be more loot dropped, which means there are more chances to obtain loot. Even if a player fails to obtain an item through lotting, that player accumulates Legion points with each run, which will allow the player to possibly trade for the item. With more players, there certainly is more competition when lotting on an item, but considering that there are more loot items dropped, the probability of obtaining an item will not drop as severely as you mentioned.

Camate's Fifth Response

Alrighty, I have a couple answers to some questions I am seeing in this thread.

Dropped items/point items
    The items you can receive via drops will differ from those that you can obtain by exchanging Legion points. Apologies if it was misconstrued from previous posts that they would be the same items. Essentially even if you lose a lotting battle to obtain an item, by participating in the battle and saving up points you can get a reward.

Cool down timer for re-entry
    There is actually no cool down timer and as long as the area is free and you are in possession of the key-item needed to enter, you can repeat this content again and again.

Also, in regards to the specific questions on point acquisition, I am still checking with the development team and should have an answer pretty soon.

Camate's Sixth Response

Heya everyone

I got word back from the development team about the point system.

It's as most have been saying, you will receive points for every monster that you defeat. Regardless of how many players are participating, everyone will receive the same amount of points and the amount gained will not change based on difficulty (18 person/ 36 person).

Camate's Seventh Response

Based on feedback received from players that participated on the test server meet-up the other day, the development team is planning some adjustments to the Legion system.

While a number of ideas are being looked into, I’d like to let you know about the battle related changes first.
    *We will make some announcements about aspects other than battle in the future, so please wait a bit for those.

- Adjustments to special ability AoE
    Planning to reduce the effect range for AoE special abilities. Working currently to have this changed reflected in this week’s test server update.
    - Changes to make it possible to try again after a wipe
    We will be performing two adjustments, which will create an area that will be safe from monsters as well as reducing monsters’ detection range.
    *There will be no changes to link range.
    These adjustments are planned to be implemented during next week’s test server update.

Please try out these changes once the test server is updated and let us know your thoughts!

*I'll try to keep updating this as new stuff arises. There's a lot of debate and speculation going on in that thread on the official forums. I'm not about to hop into it... but I'm happy to report on it*
    Last edited by Yygdrasil; 02-02-2012, 08:32 AM.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Re: Legion (Formerly known as Last Stand) Information

Here's something I found from the same thread that may be of some interest. Possible items planned for Legion that were found through .dat mining. Bear in mind that this guy's disclaimer still forewarns of mistakes.

I hope folks like long lists that have been copy-pasted after a quarter-assed double-check, because here it comes! As a bonus, some of this stuff probably doesn't even come from Legion. Some of this stuff might not even be new. I might have accidentally cut out a new item or two while haphazardly eliminating Relics/Mythics/Empyreans from this list to make it slightly less huge. With that said, here's a bunch of stuff:
    ----------------------------------------

Armor

Bodies

Hands

Legs

Rings

Shields

Belts

Helms

Necks

Capes

Earrings

More Legs

Weapons

Great Katanas

Scythes

H2H

Grips

Clubs

Daggers

Great Swords

Throwing

Uniquely Named Sets

Rheic / Phorcys

Euxine / Thaumas

Tethyan / Nares

Other Schtuff

Misc.

I tried my best to clean that up as much as I could. If I screwed up anything in the translation, let me know.
    Last edited by Yygdrasil; 02-02-2012, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Re: Legion (Formerly known as Last Stand) Information

The pieces that interest me:
      These ones

Comment

Working...
      X