X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Worlds Maintenance (Dec. 5)

Dec. 4, 2007 08:00 [PST] From: FINAL FANTASY XI
    All Worlds Maintenance (Dec. 5)
    At the following time, we will be performing FINAL FANTASY XI maintenance on all worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XI will be unavailable.
    Thank you for your patience.
    * The World Transfer Service will be unavailable starting 30 minutes before the maintenance. Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign will also become unavailable once the maintenance begins. Please wait until after the maintenance is completed before attempting to use these services.
    [Date & Time]
    Dec. 5, 2007 from 9:00 to 11:00 (PST)
    * Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.
    [Affected Services]
    FINAL FANTASY XI
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/pol...ews12177.shtml
    Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Re: All Worlds Maintenance (Dec. 5)

4th or is it 5th time in the last mont over EU prime time...

[Date & Time]
    Dec. 5, 2007 from 17:00 to 19:00 (GMT)
    * Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

<comfort> Kristeena

Thankfully I wont get home till 8pm and hope it is finished by then....

Comment

I swear to god ...
      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Seriously. How many times are you going to point out the fact it's over EU primetime? And how many times does Mhurron need to explain it?

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
        ------
        Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
        When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Like it wouldnt bother you if it were the case for you? There has to be some hour where it wouldnt break anyone's balls.

*adds to the complaining even though i havent played since friday and dont really care*
          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Great! More updates, what are with all these updates lately!? Geez....
            Originally posted by Silent Howler
            Vana'diel is a big world, so don't bite off more than you can chew.

Comment

There's no update this time. Just maintenance.
              Ellipses on Fenrir
              There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
              . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Soulsaver View Post
                Great! More updates, what are with all these updates lately!? Geez....
                They're no doubt fixing shit they'd find if they tested their game properly before launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
                  There's no update this time. Just maintenance.
                  I know that, thats what I ment lol...
                  Originally posted by Silent Howler
                  Vana'diel is a big world, so don't bite off more than you can chew.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                    They're no doubt fixing shit they'd find if they tested their game properly before launch.
                    It's not exactly that clear cut. Testing can only yield so much correction. Eventually, you have to stop "coddling your baby" and wean it off Beta into Production whereupon you shall find the remainder of your errors. There is always a retooling phase with a new program version. It stabilizes over time and then they reversion it and destabilize it once more. Circle of Life...

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
                      Like it wouldnt bother you if it were the case for you? There has to be some hour where it wouldnt break anyone's balls.
                      A - every update inconveniences me no matter what time of the day it happens. I have a slow connection, a patch on a Wednesday, Thrusday, Friday often means I don't play that day. If it happens on a Monday or Tuesday I have to go out of my way to run the game to update it so I can play on Wednesday. I don't show up here every damn time it happens and whine like a moron about it.

B- No there is no time that FFXI has no users on.

C - The times listed for this downtime is the time that has the lowest users.

Testing can only yield so much correction. Eventually, you have to stop "coddling your baby" and wean it off Beta into Production whereupon you shall find the remainder of your errors
                      There are also problems that won't show themselves as problems until a thousand people all start hitting it at once.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Just like for some reason last summer (or was it two summers ago...) when the servers were constantly getting slammed over and over.

They claimed it was a DDOS attack, but I don't think there is a network alive on the planet that is the size of SEs for FFXI that doesn't have the infrastructure implements of evading DDOS or nullifying them..

But anyway. I think the story is that they had switched who provided their servers.. and it's just likely that the mass exodus of users fucked up the initial caching or something..

Maybe SE needs to look into making smaller, weekly updates instead of Mass ones that cause problems like this..
                        The Tao of Ren
                        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                        Originally posted by Kaeko
                        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                          There are also problems that won't show themselves as problems until a thousand people all start hitting it at once.
                          I cant reiterate this more. Everyone thinks that just because you have a dev environment that you should be able to test if things work out. I can tell you that just about any application have decently written will work fine when theres no load on it.

Things can change dramatically once you toss a couple thousand concurrent connections to something. No amount testing can foresee issues that occur when there is full load.
                          Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                          ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Maybe SE needs to look into making smaller, weekly updates
                            And yet here they are doing Maintenance on about a weekly basis and you people are bitching about it.

Seriously, it doesn't matter if SE had wonderful programming, the servers would still have to go down for maintenance every now and then. Hell, FFXI's downtime is pretty damn good. EVE Online goes down an hour every day for maintenance, there are plenty of other MMOs that go down for hours a week. FFXI is probably the only MMO I've played that didn't have SOME sort of required weekly/daily maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K View Post
                              \
                              They claimed it was a DDOS attack, but I don't think there is a network alive on the planet that is the size of SEs for FFXI that doesn't have the infrastructure implements of evading DDOS or nullifying them..
                              It's very very difficult to avoid DDOS. When you have a couple hundred thousand machines hitting something all at once there really isnt any infrastructure you can put in place to 'nullify' this. Short of denying service to possibly valid hosts, you wont be able to stop it once its started.

Earlier this year, Skype went down due to a pseudo-ddos. There was some emergency MS patch that causes for machines to reboot themselves if you have automatic updates set to apply at a certain time. Well having thousands of computers reboot and then come back online and having skype set to auto-start caused the whole skype network to go down. The thing about DDOS is that all requests are typically valid requests. They arent flooding with bogus packets, its just using the actual application to break itself.

I'm fairly certain that skype's network is larger than SEs. Yet, it went down like nothing.
                              Last edited by Omni; 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM.
                              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Working...
                              X