Chocobo Racing (3/27/2007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocobo Racing (3/27/2007)

The version update scheduled for Thursday, March 29th will finally unlock the gates to the exciting world of chocobo racing! Now, players from across the globe will have the opportunity to test their chocobo's abilities on the racetrack against some of Vana'diel's most skilled riders.

Click here to review the details of this all-new feature.

You can also click here to download exclusive footage of the races!

Chocobo Racing (03/27/2007)

The version update scheduled for Thursday, March 29th will finally unlock the gates to the exciting world of chocobo racing! Now, players from across the globe will have the opportunity to test their chocobo's abilities on the racetrack against some of Vana'diel's most skilled riders.

Development Concept

Last summer and fall, several surveys regarding chocobo racing were conducted from premiere FINAL FANTASY XI sites in Japan, North America, and Europe. The development team then took these valuable opinions and used them to create exciting new content that focused on what the players wanted most.

Due to the fact that chocobo racing is completely new to FINAL FANTASY XI, much time has been necessary for development and testing. Because of this, we have determined that rather than delaying the release of the content, it is better to release portions of it at a time, thus allowing players to experience some of the features right away.

Then, in future patches, a variety of new features will be added to turn up the excitement. The following is a tentative schedule of the updates and their content:

Summer, 2007: Player vs. player races, betting
    Fall/Winter, 2007: New official races, practice races (player vs. player)
    2008: Final official races

Basic Information

- What is Chocobo Racing?
    The newly added racetracks are the perfect place to test out and show off your very own chocobo's skills. These automated races will require you to piece together a picture-perfect plan based on variables such as chocobo condition and the weather, using options consisting of orders given to your jockey and items to be utilized on the track. But that's not all. Performing well in these races will earn you gil or VCS-mint chocobucks, which can be used to purchase items or services that will assist you in breeding.

- How to Participate
    First, you must be raising an adult chocobo or have one out to pasture and possess its VCS registration card. Next, you must visit one of the CRA's (Chocobo Racing Association) branches located in San d'Oria, Bastok, and Windurst, and register your chocobo to race.

- What are Chocobucks?
    Chocobucks are a special type of currency for use at CRA-sanctioned establishments. Chocobucks can be earned by winning special races and can be exchanged for items and services used in chocobo breeding. Chocobucks are also required to participate in certain official races.

- Types of Races
    The following are the two types of races available at this time:

Official Race
    By successfully completing the objectives of these "mission-style" races, more challenging races will be unlocked. Can you clear them all?

Free Run
    Free runs are "practice" races that may be run at any time (for a small gil fee). By placing in these races, you will receive chocobucks that can be used to purchase items or participate in higher-level official races. Use these practice races to hone your skills and save up funds.

Click here to download exclusive footage of the races!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Join the Egg Hunt! (03/27/2007)

On April 2, the yearly Egg Hunt Egg-stravaganza will commence!

During this event, adventurers collect special items known as "initial eggs" and try to form various combinations of letters to win egg-squisite prizes!

Detailed instructions on how to play the game will be available in Topics on the day of the event.
    Last edited by Hantz; 03-27-2007, 05:27 AM. Reason: Blurb about Egg Hunt added.

Re: Chocobo Racing (3/27/2007)

Well that's cool. A little something is better than nothing and more waiting. I wonder what the "final official races" due in 2008 are? heh

Nice little video too. I noticed a couple things on it. One was 2 exclamation marks above on 2 chocobos, 1 each. I wonder what that was.

I also noticed the sweat towards the end... I guess that's from a "burst sprint" or low stamina?

Comment

Yeah, it looked like those black chocos were about to peter out.

A lot of these elements seem to be things that people had suggested and illustrated in perfect detail ages ago, when we first heard about automated chocobo races.

Comment

Finally! Time to burn up the tracks!

Comment

Man, this game better have some strategic value if they are going to make us wait so long, especially for the Player vs Player and betting games.

I know I'm stupid to wish for it but... I'm hoping they give us like 8-10 official matches a batch and not like... 3.
          Read my blog.
          ffxibrp.livejournal.com
          Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
          Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

hmmm maybe im wrong but does one choco turn Green during the race...!?

Comment

"Goal" seemed a little out of place.

Comment

Is the game set up so that you can only race your own bred and raised chooobo, is the the whole point? Or can you use one of the original game's choco's too?

I'm assuming it's the former, though I'm not really 100 % sure.
                (\ /)
                ( . .)
                C('')('')

Comment

Originally posted by Snowball View Post
                  Is the game set up so that you can only race your own bred and raised chooobo, is the the whole point? Or can you use one of the original game's choco's too?

I'm assuming it's the former, though I'm not really 100 % sure.
                  Originally posted by Hantz View Post
                  - How to Participate
                  First, you must be raising an adult chocobo or have one out to pasture and possess its VCS registration card. Next, you must visit one of the CRA's (Chocobo Racing Association) branches located in San d'Oria, Bastok, and Windurst, and register your chocobo to race.
                  There.

Comment

So red is the fastest colour! Looks pretty neat, as BRP said, I hope they put in a lot of strategy with the races, and I hope they have a lot of differently designed courses (otherwise it'll get extremely boring I think!).

I haven't started raising a chocobo yet, though.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqGZ_3YFiYE[/youtube]
                      Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
                      Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Comment

I'd guess the choco changing color is a dye... which means choco breeders need not fear.

Comment

Working...
                        X