X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brenner, A New Form of Conflict

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/inf...on/060210.html

A new form of Conflict (PvP) called "Brenner" will be introduced in this month's version update.

Ballista, the first form of Conflict, was designed with the Conquest in mind and pitted one nation's adventurers against another. However, it became apparent that dividing the teams by nation invariably resulted in an uneven spread of jobs, making it difficult to enjoy a casual match of Ballista.

It was then that Diorama Abdhaljs-Ghelsba was created in an effort to steer Ballista away from the Conquest and focus more on the competitive nature of the matches. This new style of Ballista made it possible for players to freely travel to a reserved area from Jeuno and adjust the rules and settings of the matches as they wished. This proved to be a popular pastime for many Ballista enthusiasts.

Brenner has been developed in a similar vein, with adjustable match settings and an exclusive area that can be reserved and accessed from Jeuno. (The Chains of Promathia expansion disc must be installed and registered in order to access this area.)

The following functions will be added to the reservation system in order to simplify the process of recruiting participants.

-Any block of time can be reserved up to 2 days in advance.
    -By choosing the option "Recruiting Members," players who wish to participate in the match will receive a reservation item for the same time block from the NPC.

* The same change will be made to the reservation system for Diorama Abdhaljs-Ghelsba.

However, if the area were subject only to reservations, there would be cases where finding players to participate in a match could become a trial, as well as players who wish to participate but don't wish to be troubled by reservation procedures. To avoid these issues, there will be "Official Matches" held on a regular basis to encourage casual participation.

In the same manner as Diorama Abdhaljs-Ghelsba, the schedule for Brenner will be based on Earth time. As a result, there will be occasions when Brenner match times will overlap with those of official Ballista matches (held on Vana'diel time.) In this case, it was deemed more important to have a schedule that was easier to understand, but rest assured that all efforts will be made to avoid official match time overlaps between Brenner and Ballista.

In order to participate in Ballista, it is necessary to undergo the somewhat lengthy process of obtaining a Ballista License. Since participation in Brenner has no relation to allegiance or rank, there are no plans to implement a qualification quest.

Although there were some requests for a one-on-one-style match, it was decided that the real potential for interesting matches in FINAL FANTASY XI lies in group combat. To that end, Brenner matches follow the Ballista style of pitting one team against another.

Each side is provided with a like number of Flammen-Brenner (or flame burners), half of which are lit with Flamme (flame). Each Flammen-Brenner has a set number of HP, and must be destroyed before the Flamme within can be captured. The aim of the game is to protect your own Flamme while attempting to capture your opponents' Flamme and lighting all of your Flammen-Brenner.

There is no "Gate Breach" status in Brenner. Defeating opposing players is directly connected to scoring points in Ballista; however, Brenner has been designed with defensive and offensive elements so that battles between players will occur naturally.

Several elements from Ballista have been carried over into this new form of Conflict, such as temporary items, and the /sprint command. However, the overall flow of the game will be unique to Brenner.

In response to the favorable feedback from Ballista Royale and the chance to play in set teams, Brenner will also include a system that allows direct competition between linkshell groups.

There are no current plans to hold a linkshell tournament, but many functions that concern linkshell and other user events are under development.

Check out Brenner for yourself after the February version update!

FINAL FANTASY XI Development Team (02/10/2006)

Yay for capture the flag!
    Last edited by Gobo; 02-10-2006, 05:44 AM.
    sigpic
    Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Re: Brenner, A New Form of Conflict

Brenner ftw !

Not a PVPer myself, but should keep things interesting.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

interesting but its just another type of balista, nothing new just recycled.

Comment

how can you say it's recycled? it sounds more like capture the flag (multiple flags) than ballista to me.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by pearlsea
          interesting but its just another type of balista, nothing new just recycled.
          I don't see why you say that. Hiding in a corner and quarrying doesn't exist, if you want to score you have to take out a lit brenner - which will probably be defended by several players (and most likely have 10,000 HP or something like that in an uncapped match). On the other hand once you do that you don't have to find a rook, just run back to one of your own team's unlit brenners (assuming players will have a simple way to locate their own team's brenners, possibly they will show up on the map or something). Alive - since you will probably drop the flamme if you die. Possibly it can be stolen from you too, so watch out for THFs.

The further ahead a team is the more places they have to defend. Destroyed brenners may repop (unlit) in the same place or somewhere else, immediately or only after a while. If a brenner isn't destroyed it probably won't move on its own the way rooks do.

Killing or incapacitating other players will still be important - that's why it's Conflict. Other than that, though, I don't see much that resembles Ballista at all.
          Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
          RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
          All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

It does sound a lot like Capture the Flag, which is good because I've always been a fan of CTF. Never cared much for Ballista, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Jobs: BLM60, BRD45, WHM38, BST31, SMN18, MNK17, THF16, RDM18, NIN11, WAR14

------
            Murphy's FFXI job roles

The Tank keeps the Healer alive. The Healer keeps the Tank alive. The BLM warps, THF flees when things look bad.
            ------

Comment

I love that Square Enix avoids implementing the same cookie cutter modes as other games, like a deathmatch, an actual capture the flag, or anything mundane like that.

It sounds pretty confusing, but I'm sure they'll clear up a lot of those details by the time the update comes around.

Looking forward to it!
              PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
              Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
              WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
              Currently Playing:
              FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

i sure hope we will get XP from it like ballista.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I just said that because its another team based sport PvP. I dint mean the whole thing was recycled, thats why i said it was interesting.

Comment

This is really neat, and should be a little more interesting than ballista, i think anyway. The thing i think that is kinda eh is the fact that some people would like an actual dueling function, but with this might be more interesting than ballista (not a big fan of the soccer game called ballista myself hehe)

RNG67 BRD66 THF55 NIN35 WHM31 RDM35 WAR24 PLD30

Comment

^^ It's kinda like capture the flag now. I'm so excited! BLMs need to beware now, they'll be the first targets. . .
                      The Tao of Ren
                      FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                      Originally posted by Kaeko
                      As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Does sound pretty fun, might actually have a reason to level (the racing to level is getting boring _._)... -w-

Fishy

There once was fish,

Whom made a perfect dish

To a giant fish.

The giant fish was caught,

By a Mithra which sought

To fill her hunger.

The Mithra was slayed,

By a monster whom would raid

The land.

What have we learned?

Comment

Ballista, the first form of Conflict, was designed with the Conquest in mind and pitted one nation's adventurers against another. However, it became apparent that dividing the teams by nation invariably resulted in an uneven spread of jobs, making it difficult to enjoy a casual match of Ballista.

For them to acknowledge that the autoassign function only did so much to balance the teams and create this is just awesome. That was one of my main frustrations with Ballista (and I play often) was the constant inbalance of teams which the victor could easily be predicted.

Also changing the rules from the Gate Breech to this is going to change how combat occurs. With Gate Breech, people were either avoiding combat because they were trying to avoid dying and give gate breech to the other team, or they just dont want to die. With this system players might be more inclined to stay with their base than to chase down players, and breaking up the team to try and get GB.

75 BLU | THF | PLD

Comment

Pretty nice. But I'd like to see something on the basis of a one-on-one 'capped' battle.... (Ie. You could challenge whoever you want, but if you're higher in level than the one you challenge, you get capped to their level.)

Comment

This looks really interesting to me. I'll be sure to join in when I level red mage to a higher level.
                              Haikus are easy.
                              But sometimes they don't make sense.
                              Refrigerator.

Comment

Working...
                              X