Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st expansion will have same amount of content as ARR launch!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st expansion will have same amount of content as ARR launch!!!!

Oh mew!! That will more than double its content!! Final Fantasy 14's PlayStation 4 launch is just the start for Naoki Yoshida | Polygon

Re: 1st expansion will have same amount of content as ARR launch!!!!

wish i could read it. blocked!
    75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
    RANK 10 Bastok
    CoP: Done
    ZM: Done
    ToA: Done
    Assault rank: Captain
    Campaign Medal: Medals
    Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
    This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Remote play on the Vita? Fuck yes!
      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
      Reiko Takahashi
      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

But you need the PS4 for the remote play, right? Is it full remote play our only certain actions?

- - - Updated - - -

If someone could paste the article here that would be boss.
        RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Naoki Yoshida looks tired, and it's no surprise why. "The dev team is working really hard, working without sleep, but we are smoothly progressing," he says.

Yoshida and his team have spent the last few years rebuilding Square Enix's disastrous MMO, Final Fantasy 14. Last year, they successfully relaunched as Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn, a completely different and astoundingly better game. And since then, they've remained hard at work churning out fresh content and working on a PlayStation 4 version of the game.

"We had a very challenging time trying to relaunch Final Fantasy 14," Yoshida says, "and we don't want to forget the struggles we went through."

The more Yoshida talks about what he's achieved so far and what they have planned, the less tired he seems. He starts with the hard stats: 1.8 million players around the world, 6.7 million characters created, over 400 million hours played. It is, he says with certainty, "the largest MMO released out of Japan."

But where Yoshida really becomes animated is when he talks about the actual content. So far his team has released one major content update for Final Fantasy 14, and a second is coming soon.

These are massive updates too. The first included completely new housing and PvP systems in addition to end-game dungeons, added hard modes for existing content and more. The second update, planned to launch in March just before the PS4 version releases, will add another new dungeon, a new end-game primal boss fight and plenty of other small surprises.

"We plan to incorporate a lot of content with all future patches," Yoshida says. It's part of his plan to stay relevant as the series continues moving forward. "I'm sure there will be a Final Fantasy 15 and 16, but we will constantly try to bring in fresh, new material for Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn."

As Final Fantasy 14 grows in size, Yoshida also wants to spread it to new locations around the world. Currently the game is available in English, Japanese, French and German, but Square is working on expanding support for new languages and new regions. Most notably, the game will be launching in China sometime this summer. After that, Yoshida says they're looking at launches in South Korea, Russia, Taiwan and the Middle East.

And, of course, they'll be expanding to a new platform as well: the PlayStation 4.

Beginning February 22, anyone who owns a PlayStation 4 will be able to download and participate in the Final Fantasy 14 beta. Characters from the beta's second phase in April, will even stick around if you move over to the final game. Square has also worked out a deal where Final Fantasy 14 will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online. They're hoping to draw a lot of interest from the new console's growing playerbase.

While the PC version of Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn was largely stable on mid-level PCs, the PlayStation 3 port had some problems with framerate drops and downgraded visuals. The PlayStation 4 version fixes all of these issues. The framerate has been stabilized, the game runs at a full 1080p resolution, and some major interface changes — such as the ability to use the PS4 controller's touchpad to control a makeshift mouse pointer — make the game even more console-friendly.

It's also more open than ever to how you want to play it. Want to play on PS4 but use a full mouse and keyboard setup? Not a problem. Yoshida says any gaming input devices that don't require a special driver to work should be usable. They've also worked to optimize the PS4 version of the game for remote play on the PlayStation Vita, so if you want to grind out some levels while lying in bed, it should be possible.

Ff14_vita_1080

It sounds crazy, but Final Fantasy 14 on Vita via remote play actually works. The interface is a little tiny and difficult to read, but you can scale it up when necessary. From my short time testing it, I wouldn't want to use the Vita functionality during intense raids or difficult boss fights, but for chill nights where I'm doing some crafting or mining? It's brilliant.

And that's not to downplay how impressed I was with the PlayStation 4 version itself. The touchpad adds just enough room for preciseness to make using a controller in Final Fantasy 14 an even better experience. The game looks on par with a high-end PC, and performance seems similar. I wasn't able to play in a big group, but I ran through several zones, and even when there were multiple characters and enemies with spell effects going off, the game didn't seem to slow down.

With two months yet until Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn's April 14 launch on PlayStation 4, it seems likely that Yoshida will be able to add another victory to his huge list of accomplishments with this once-doomed project. But he isn't ready to celebrate yet.

"The feeling hasn't settled in yet that I've actually accomplished something," he admits. "We're still constantly developing patches and upgrades that we feel are very important. We're still going full throttle. I'm not sure I'll get the realization that this has actually launched until maybe the first expansion."

An expansion, he says, that will have "the [same] amount of content released with the relaunch."

"If this was Rocky, and I was in a fighting match, once I knock out the opponent, I could cheer. But that's not really the case for an MMO. We've got to keep going."
          Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
          Reiko Takahashi
          - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

wow, that's impressive!

- - - Updated - - -

inb4 Mal states he's upset because doubling the game content with the 1st expansion obsoletes all other previous content.
            RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

lol.

The remote play and touch pad features are pretty nice, especially like that KB & Mouse play is fully supported. Best of all, free upgrade for PS3 users (makes me a little sad I didn't buy the PS3 version when it was only $15).

I still don't like where the game's at (or heading) atm, but I'll give it to YP - the guy's really ambitious and maybe the 1st expansion will liven things up. I have no doubts that the guy genuinely cares and wants to make the game as good as it can possibly be, lord knows SE's been really lacking that sort of enthusiasm for entirely too long - I just question some of his decisions.

Sounds like the expansion's going to be massive, and extend far beyond just Ishgard - we'll probably get access to Garlemald and/or Ala Mhigo which would be really cool.
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

The PS3 version is still on about 8 or 9 pounds from Amazon...the PS4 version is currently listed at full price

Ordered a 2nd ps3 version so that I can get teh free upgrade and register it again so I have more choice! Then I can choose between PC, PS3 and PS4 #greedy?
                "OH NO! A BOURGEOIS BIG-BOLLOCKED BOILER!!!!! THATS ALL I NEED", Conker The Squirrel, 2001
                www.raspberrypi.org
                Oi may be from the West Coutry but i'm not a hobbit, a pirate or a farmer me old shagger

Comment

Why did you get a 2nd PS3 version? Existing PS3 owners get a free upgrade.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X