Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoshida speaks! And January 1 Announcements! Important FFXIV future news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoshida speaks! And January 1 Announcements! Important FFXIV future news!

Eorzeapedia: Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) News, Wiki, Forums, Community and more � 4Gamer Interview With Naoki Yoshida (Part 1)

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2011/01/0...t-2/#more-6326

Oh mew! That's just the first part! People are translating more as we speak! Ya Yoshida has a lot of good points, including the importance of more consistent added content, mew. (This could also add more classes earlier instead of foolishly withholding completed content, mew!)

FFXIV has a long way to catch up with FFXI and WoW with content, so it helps to keep things consistent with more content added more frequently and stuff.

It's also great that Yoshida (using FF7 as an example) acknowledges the value of strong story, characters, minigames, and the fusion that creates memorable experiences! And mmorpgs can potentially magnify that countless times if applied correctly, mew.

So ya things will be in better hands and the company is taking things more seriously and work towards quality!

There are also good lessons learns like "before deciding if its fun or not, it must be easy to understand." so ya those are good points that will improve things and this makes it more clear and positive that by the time the PS3 version arrives, everyone will have to reevaluate their opinions and reviews about FFXIV.
    Last edited by jenova_9; 01-01-2011, 08:19 AM.

Re: Yoshida speaks! And January 1 Announcements! Important FFXIV future news!

It's nice seeing they are doing progress working on their first MMOG.

Oh wait...
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

when SE is committed to make something great (and they are financially forced to work harder and listen to consumers) things immensely improve! FFXIV will become game of the decade, mew!

Comment

Originally posted by jenova_9 View Post
        FFXIV has a long way to catch up with FFXI and WoW with content, so it helps to keep things consistent with more content added more frequently and stuff.
        I like how you compare content of a new MMORPG with two old MMORPGs ;p
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

4Gamer: I agree. A lot of the reviews we saw were from people who barely started playing and never really got so far as to be able to discuss the game content. Their reviews were more focused on the other problems like the user interface.

Yoshida: I had the chance to work with Horii Yuji on a game in the Dragon Quest series. One of the first things he said to me was “Before you consider if it’s fun or not, it’s got to be easy to understand!” He taught me that games have to be easy to understand because if the players can’t figure out the rules of the game, it’s hard for them to really decide if it’s interesting or not.

In the case of MMORPGs, the learning curve is especially steep. There is a lot of content that you interact with right from the start and on top of that, there are so many words that players aren’t used to. FFXIV has its own terminology and unique economic system. In addition to the user interface, I also believe it’s critical that we move to make the game itself easier to understand and lower that learning curve.
          Just have to say that this is my fave part ^^

Name: Luna Flower Server: Palamecia Linkshell: Paranor

Comment

I'll be happy when my 10 pugilist skills don't all look like one another with the exception of a differently glowing fist. :<

(Simian Thrash or whatever is the only good looking on I can see, but overall I miss the flashyness of FFXI skills. The bubbles when you cast white magic, the little hand motions, the way I could do a flying jump-kick.)

Comment

Well as for the magic, thing, each Final Fantasy has different magic effects. The aura magic cast effect is really kewl, but ya they should improve the actual spell effects for the attack based spells The buff spells are nice and flashy.

Comment

Yoshida: I had the chance to work with Horii Yuji on a game in the Dragon Quest series. One of the first things he said to me was “Before you consider if it’s fun or not, it’s got to be easy to understand!” He taught me that games have to be easy to understand because if the players can’t figure out the rules of the game, it’s hard for them to really decide if it’s interesting or not.
                Hori makes his games easy to play, but he doesn't render them stupid.

Yoshida is clearly all about making things dumber, if this last year in FFXI has been any indication.

Abyssea was a great opportunity to emphasize small group play and buff jobs that have had yet to really shine in group play. Instead, Abyssea was designed to encourage alliance play in a game that still has a diminishing population. Rather than buff jobs like BST and PUP to have more accepted party roles, instead of helping those jobs shine, they're simply invited to fill a slot as just another DD.

Then there's the Abyssea buffs. After years of actually having a role, these buffs are so overpowered that RDM is curious why he's even there. And what's the next step for content? First players were weaned on meleeburn parties, now that there's Abyssea, you're not going to be able to go back to the way things were pre-75. Players have been spoiled on how Abyssea functions are are likely not to accept anything less than it in the future.

Then there's the dumbing down of CoP. Real winner there. Yes, let's take the only thing in FFXI that had some semblance of challenge to it and destroy that experience so the pussies that "just want to see the story" and have no organizational or leadership skills at all can have Sea access. Now its Dynamis that's the gauge to see if anyone is organized and paying attention and what a fucking terrible thing to fall back on for that.

So yeah, now that this guy is on the case, my expectations for FFXIV are just rising. At least with Tanaka on the case the content would keep an edge to it, even if proper changes came slowly.

I guess what they say is true - an MMO's best years really are the early ones. After that, shit just gets dumbed down. FFXIV might just be on the fast track to being completely moron-worthy in those first few years.

Comment

oh mew, you are completely exaggerating! It may become more user friendly, but there will still be a lot of group based and leadership organized stuff in there too as more content is added!

Comment

Originally posted by jenova_9
                    but there will still be a lot of group based and leadership organized stuff
                    And once again you completely miss the point.

Comment

oh mew, you are completely exaggerating! It may become more user friendly, but there will still be a lot of group based and leadership organized stuff in there too as more content is added!
                      You can count me in!! ^^ I cant wait.

Name: Luna Flower Server: Palamecia Linkshell: Paranor

Comment

The only things that got any improvement to being low-manned were the things that were being successfully low-manned before any of these updates hit this year. Meanwhile players prefer 18 people for the newest content.

For a game that continues to dwindle in population, that's irrevocably stupid.

The number of people still playing had to be some kind of factor in the CoP and Dynamis changes. I mean, now that subscribers are fewer, Dynamis drop rates and Treasure Hunter have improved rather dramatically. Seems to follow the logic of CoP, get people their achievement/shinies faster so they can do the newer content.

But the newer content goes completely in the opposite direction. Its not terribly difficult, but to be done effectively, you're going to need as many people as possible. This is reinforced by the limitation of how often you can access Abyssea areas.

Limbus and Assault's design encouraged low-manning, though. The more people you had, the less everyone got in terms of Assault points for a win or the fewer ABCs got split within the group. And you only had so many IDs/Entry items to use within a set timeframe. SE basically used player greed to force low-man efficiency. It worked rather well.

Why not stick with that concept given this game is only going to continue to have fewer people playing it?

Comment

but critics are going bonkers before we see exactly what they will change, add, etc.

Comment

but critics are going bonkers before we see exactly what they will change, add, etc.
                            You do exactly the same thing, praising the developers before you even see the updates. The only difference between you and the critics is that the critics actually have reason to be harsh and biased.

Comment

Originally posted by Fliegar View Post
                              I'll be happy when my 10 pugilist skills don't all look like one another with the exception of a differently glowing fist. :<

(Simian Thrash or whatever is the only good looking on I can see, but overall I miss the flashyness of FFXI skills. The bubbles when you cast white magic, the little hand motions, the way I could do a flying jump-kick.)
                              I should vid cap my Luminous Spire for you ... or you can Youtube it.

Edit: Unlike most players in the game .. I'm not waiting for magic to happen. I'm just enjoying the game at my pace and not expecting anything from SE. This makes disappointments non existence and "pleasant surprises" more bountiful. Its the only way you can keep your sanity in this game.

Comment

Working...
                              X