Re: Macros & In-Game
Similar to Blizzard's system in WoW so not really foreign to me at all.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Macros & In-Game
Collapse
X
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
Thanks, TM. That makes a lot more sense now. It's kind of fascinating how different a people they are from us. It does seem so foreign to me to say something so thorough when I'd probably just say something like, "Hey guys, is anyone sitting here?" It's kind of cool, though. Thanks for my new bit of knowledge for the day. =D
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
It still seems weird to me though. I mean get what you're saying, but... I dunno, I just don't see myself or anyone else truly feeling arrogant about themselves for being polite.Originally posted by TheGrandMom View PostHe didn't say that you don't acknowledge the thank you, he said you acknowledge it in a different manner; such as saying "no problem". Saying "You're welcome" in that instance sounds pompous...full of yourself.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
ish? I cheated a little bit when I said "in-group" because that's a sociology term that's heavy with background meaning. If you wanted to say it in plain English, you'd probably need a short speech.Originally posted by Aksannyi View PostThat still doesn't much help me, but I'm guessing it's the non-gaming version of "Please add me to your friend's list?" Or something like that? Lol. Seems like such a weird concept to grasp, if it is something like that, where you have to ask to be accepted.Sounds stuffy and overwrought, but I think that's the gist. You'll almost always see a JP player say this when joining a meripo, though often shortened to the extra-casual yoro~.Nice to meet you, everyone. Thank you for the opportunity to be here with you. Please bear with me and treat me with the respect and courtesy that you would each other, as I will be doing my best to become a valuable member of the team. I hope we can develop a great working relationship.
---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------
This page has the phrase in some other context, to give you some idea of its ubiquity and versatility: USEFUL EXPRESSIONS IN JAPANESE
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
That still doesn't much help me, but I'm guessing it's the non-gaming version of "Please add me to your friend's list?" Or something like that? Lol. Seems like such a weird concept to grasp, if it is something like that, where you have to ask to be accepted.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
It's not in there. That's just my hack translation of よã‚ã—ããŠããŒã„ã—ã¾ã™ (yoroshiku onegai shimasu).
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
He didn't say that you don't acknowledge the thank you, he said you acknowledge it in a different manner; such as saying "no problem". Saying "You're welcome" in that instance sounds pompous...full of yourself.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
Bull crap. To me it's far more impolite not to acknowledge them, at least based on my own personal experiences and that's why I call silliness on the JPOriginally posted by Taskmage View PostIn this case, "you're welcome" isn't really the right thing to say, because really the woman shouldn't have to thank you. You only did what any decent person should have done in that place.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
Anyway, the point isn't so much the properness of the word, but that it's not surprising that a Japanese team sitting around a table making a list of sentiments players would want to express to each other on a regular basis didn't come up with "I'm pleased to trouble myself on your behalf." In their culture it's just an awkward concept for which opportunities rarely present themselves. If it had been an English-speaking team designing the AT, I guarantee that not in 1000 years would someone have tossed out "Please treat me as one of your social in-group." I mean how many times in the life of an English-speaker does that need to get expressed? Maybe once for each job at a new company and when asking for the blessing of your fiance's parents? We might even have to make a short speech to get the point across. But in Japan that phrase is as common as hello, and if it had been the other way around they might be bitching about how it took us 4 years to get something as simple as よã‚ã—ã into the dictionary.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
Well, think of it this way. There are times in English where "you're welcome" is slightly rude. Say you're on a commuter train where all the seats are filled and you're sitting by the door. A woman enters who is clearly late in pregnancy and having a hard time getting around, so you rise and let her take your seat. She thanks you. In this case, "you're welcome" isn't really the right thing to say, because really the woman shouldn't have to thank you. You only did what any decent person should have done in that place. So instead of accepting her thanks you say something like "no, don't mention it" or "no problem." In Japanese culture the bar at which it is okay to acknowledge that you've done something worthy of thanks is set a little higher than in English, so a lot of the time we might use "you're welcome" would be like saying it to the lady on the train. Not rude exactly but a little socially insensitive. So Japanese people don't go around saying ã©ã†ã„ãŸã—ã¾ã—㦠all the time; they say ã„ãˆã„ãˆ. "Don't mention it."
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
Silly Japanese - . -
Here we are trying to be polite and we just end up offending them over nonsense.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
Yeah, thinking about it, I do hear ã„ãˆã„ãˆã€€use more by the Japanese people I know. In fact thinking about, I only usually hear ã©ã†ã„ãŸã—ã¾ã—㦠used by my English friends speaking to Japanese people. Its never really something I've thought about.
With the auto-translator though you also need to remember that it isn't just English and Japanese that it needs to take into account. There's also French and German that people may want to translate between where those phrases are more likely to be used. Japanese is a hard language to auto-translate into, directly translating is one thing, but getting the correct context, politeness and interpretation of what someone says is another thing.
I can see why SE went for built in phrases and key words rather than a full on translation. Just don't try to build sentences using it and expect it to make sense in another language.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Macros & In-Game
It's not characteristically Japanese to accept praise and gratitude so easily. It's not exactly arrogant but not quite polite either. The correct response is to deflect or mitigate the statement.
Copypasta from the wiki: In traditional Japanese society, this is not used often, as it falls out of step with their background of humility; to say "You're welcome" is to acknowledge that you did something good for someone, where generally their traditions will make them more prone to borrow our simple "np" or say ã„ãˆã„㈠(ieie) to say it was really nothing to worry about.
Leave a comment:


Leave a comment: