Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Version in September. PS3 Delayed. Pre-order + Pricing Info

From Eurogamer
    Square Enix has announced a worldwide 30th September release date for the PC version of its new MMO, Final Fantasy XIV Online.
    It has also revealed that the PS3 version of the game has been delayed until March 2011.
    A special edition of the PC game will be released on 22nd September in Europe, therefore offering just over a week of early access to the game servers. A beta is expected to go live in early July: you can apply for it at the FFXIV website.
    The monthly subscription fee will be £8.99 (€12.99), but you will need to pay extra for additional character slots: £2.10 (€3) a month apiece, up to a maximum of eight characters.
    Retainers - non-playable characters that maintain item sales and storage while you are logged out - will cost 70p (€1), although the first one comes free.
    Pricing for the PS3 version will be announced at a later time.
    The Collector's Edition of Final Fantasy XIV will include the early access, a making of DVD, a security token, a branded tumbler, a map, journal, and free guest pass for a friend, as well as the standard 30 days of free gameplay.
    If you pre-order it, you also get an in-game item, the Onion Helm, which speeds up your recovery after you're defeated in a fight. Standard edition pre-orders are rewarded with Garlond Goggles, which speed up skill progression.
    As recently as E3, producer Hiromichi Tanaka was telling us that he expected to be able to release the PS3 version alongside the PC in 2010. But with the frequent setbacks to the release of MMOs on consoles, the news hardly comes as a surprise.
    Tanaka also told us that it was the "closed" nature of Xbox Live which has blocked the game being brought to Microsoft's console.
    I like the sound of the the pre-order bonuses and the collector edition items but given the benchmark performance it looks like I'm going to be needing the PS3 version and that's delayed until March

Re: PC Version in September. PS3 Delayed. Pre-order + Pricing Info

nice collectors edition

I think march 2011 is a tentative date. They are just doing that to be safe since they haven't begun PS3 testing yet.
    But you know, mew, they really could be tricking everyone and the good news will be that ps3 gets it this september,
    while pc gets it in 2011? It would make sense since pc people will just pirate the game anyway. =>.>=

Last edited by jenova_9; 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM.

Comment

-.- damn now I have to spend more money on FFXIV lol, I need a new token and I can not pass up that art book.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

don't put the mittens down just yet. =^^= there is still a chance if ps3 beta goes smoothly, it could be same time release.
        March may just be a safe placeholder in case they fall behind schedule. You know now I think I should of downloaded the ful FFXIV OST when it was still up.

Comment

eh I plan on getting both anyway, I plan on doing what I did with FFXI, and have a PS3 copy as a "backup" in case my PC fries. but if the PS3 runs FFXIV better then my PC (I plan to stop upgrading my PC and let it go out of date) then I will do the opposite. But ether way, both copies will be bought ;p
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Included in this PC only special edition is:

* Early Access allowing players to jump into Eorzea a whole six days before the rest of the world
            * Security Token
            * Behind the scenes DVD
            * Adventurers branded tumbler
            * Map of Eorzea
            * Travel Journal- A journal containing never before seen concept art
            * Free 30 days of game play
            * Guest pass to invite a friend to play for a limited time

PC only special edition? what about PS3?

Comment

Damn, I'm going to have to get both copies as well. I do hope both versions will come out at the same time. Don't want to wait for the ps3 version and be behind everyone when it comes out for the ps3.

I already got it pre-ordered so I don't need to worry about not getting the ingame items. lol. Also, I am NOT going to pass up that art work book.

Comment

It has also revealed that the PS3 version of the game has been delayed until March 2011.
                Lame.

A special edition of the PC game will be released on 22nd September in Europe, therefore offering just over a week of early access to the game servers.
                Also lame.

but you will need to pay extra for additional character slots: £2.10 (€3) a month apiece, up to a maximum of eight characters.
                still very lame

Retainers - non-playable characters that maintain item sales and storage while you are logged out - will cost 70p (€1), although the first one comes free.
                Halfway lame

If you pre-order it, you also get an in-game item, the Onion Helm, which speeds up your recovery after you're defeated in a fight. Standard edition pre-orders are rewarded with Garlond Goggles, which speed up skill progression.
                Pretty damn lame

It's good to get a date, but there's a lot of ass stuff coming with this announcement. Right off the bat they're screwin over their claims of "unified global releases." I could understand if it was a week or two, but that's a whole seven months of PS3 users getting screwed over and starting late. For people like me who have tons of friends planning to jump in from the start, but don't have a strong enough PC to play it, it's basically acting like a big "FU". If they were going to stagger the release dates (especially by over half a year) they shouldn't have repeatedly said how both systems would be launched at the same time. Now I'm still left wondering as to how other regions will be affected by the change in launch dates and if other places will even get the same perks and bonuses.

And while yea, like FFXI you can probably do almost everything on one character, it's still screwed up they charge you for extras where no other MMO does it. Especially since they're also charging for extra retainers, which means that a single one will have a very noticeable item limit of some kind.

And while the pre-order bonus items are actually pretty nice, imo they're just too nice. Those are items that will most likely be used for a players entire time playing the game, because there's always going to be death and always going to be skills to master. Pre-order bonuses should be superfluous items which look nice but don't actually affect the gameplay, not items that give people an edge over others.

I should be happy they're giving us news about this game's official launch...but the way they're handling it, I just can't be
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Kafeen View Post
                  Retainers - non-playable characters that maintain item sales and storage while you are logged out - will cost 70p (€1)
                  Originally posted by jenova_9 View Post
                  e pc people will just pirate the game anyway.
                  ............................................________
                  ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
                  .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
                  .........................,/...............................................”:,
                  .....................,?......................................................\,
                  .................../...........................................................,}
                  ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
                  .............../...................................................,:”........./
                  ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
                  ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
                  .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
                  ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
                  ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
                  ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
                  ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
                  ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
                  .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
                  ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
                  .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
                  ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
                  ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
                  .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
                  ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
                  ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Comment

Well, I guess that settles my debate of PS3 vs. new PC. Still, I think this is kind of crap for PS3 users.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                      Right off the bat they're screwin over their claims of "unified global releases."
                      I believe their unified global releases was in reference to translations and not a pledge to release on every platform at the same time. FFXIII showed they were unwilling to either throw the necessary resources at getting the translations released together or to hold back instead of padding a years sales.

Unrelated, can we start a petition to stop Jenova posting?
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

maybe they did it in desperation to get FFXIV out there before Cataclysm arrives? They put all their resources to complete PC first? Still, I think they can release PS3 version this year, even if it's December.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                        I believe their unified global releases was in reference to translations and not a pledge to release on every platform at the same time. FFXIII showed they were unwilling to either throw the necessary resources at getting the translations released together or to hold back instead of padding a years sales.

Unrelated, can we start a petition to stop Jenova posting?

Your so mean, Mhurron. Meanie!!! I will pronounce your name as Mhoron from now on. Be grateful I shared great collector's edition screenies here!

Comment

Now, I've got a pretty good imagination. But I can't imagine Mhurron being thankful for anything you ever have, or ever will post, J9.

Comment

Still, I think they can release PS3 version this year, even if it's December.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                              FFXIV Online beta "starting soon" MMO News - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

No, they've specifically stated repeatedly that FFXIV, and just about every other major product they were going to release (starting with XIII before MS weaseled it's way into the deal) would see global, universal releases in all countries/languages/systems their games would be on. This is something they reconfirmed all of two weeks ago.

Again, I could see delays of 1-2 weeks, maybe even a month, but seven freaking months, on a system they already have experience working with mind you (XIII was made for PS3 and ported to Xbox), is just terrible.

maybe they did it in desperation to get FFXIV out there before Cataclysm arrives? They put all their resources to complete PC first? Still, I think they can release PS3 version this year, even if it's December.
                              So to avoid competeing with Blizzard's expansion, something this game will easily do well against, they're choosing to compete with themselves and make their playerbase choose to stick with FFXI and it's new update/add-on or start in XIV? All the while screwin over the people planning to get the game for the PS3? If it's a rushed PC release, it's a terrible idea.
                              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Working...
                              X