Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Beginner's Guide to Eorzea - Maps & Things (10/25/2010)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Beginner's Guide to Eorzea - Maps & Things (10/25/2010)

Today's Q&A serves to shed some light onto several issues that newcomers to FINAL FANTASY XIV may face when stepping into the realm of Eorzea for the first time. Continue reading to learn more about navigating maps, locating aetheryte camps, initiating class quests, and more!

Maps

Q. How can I view my maps?
    A. The main map can be displayed by pressing the M key or by selecting Map from the main menu.

City-state Map

1. Coordinates
    The numbers on a map's top- and left-hand sides are used to relay location coordinates. For example, the player's coordinates in the above city-state map are 7–6 (7 representing the horizontal axis, 6 the vertical).

2. Map Info
    Up to three names may appear in this window:
    [area name] (will always appear)
    [sub-area name] (if in an area with multiple levels)
    [building/dungeon name] (if inside a building or dungeon)

3. Map Menu
    From here, players can select and view maps of all previously visited locations.

4. Close Map
    Press this button to close the map.

5. Player
    The player's current location. The arrow indicates the direction the player is facing.

6. Guild
    Each guild is represented by a unique icon. Please note, not every guild will be found in each city-state.

Adventurers' Guild

[ Limsa Lominsa ]

Marauders' Guild

Fishermen's Guild

Blacksmiths' Guild

Armorers' Guild

Culinarians' Guild

[ Gridania ]

Archers' Guild

Lancers' Guild

Conjurers' Guild

Botanists' Guild

Carpenters' Guild

Leatherworkers' Guild

[ Ul'dah ]

Pugilists' Guild

Gladiators' Guild

Thaumaturges' Guild

Miners' Guild

Goldsmiths' Guild

Weavers' Guild

Alchemists' Guild

7. Other Important Locations
    The following are icons representing locations such as weapon shops, inns, and transportation facilities. Please note that some facilities may not be found in some city-states.

Shop

Inn

Ferry Docks

Chocobo Stables

8. Landmarks

Gates, main thoroughfares, and other major landmarks will often be marked on maps.

9. Map Switch Icon

Indicates a location that, if passed, will result in a change of maps. This is most commonly found on stairwells, city-state gates, dungeon entrances, etc.

10. Aetheryte

Indicates the location of an aetheryte crystal. In city-states, the crystals are usually found in what are known as aetheryte plazas. In the field, they can be found in city-state-run facilities known as aetheryte camps.

Field Map

11. Aetherial Gates

Indicates the location of an aetherial gate.

12. Quest Destination

Indicates the general location of a current quest. Icons representing target enemies will also appear when applicable.

Q. An NPC marked something on my map, but I can't find it. Where should I be looking?
    A. Currently, NPC markers can be viewed on a player's journal map, accessed via the Journal option on the main menu. There are, however, plans to move NPC markers to the main menu with the next version update.

Q. The opening cutscene is finished and I'm tired of reading dialogue. I want to go and slay me some beasties...but I can't find my way out of the city! How do I get outside?
    A. The following are videos of the quickest routes to the aetheryte camps nearest each city-state.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z6OPvRhB-I]From the Drowning Wench in Limsa Lominsa to Camp Bearded Rock[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JYJRpRgfc]From the Blue Badger Gate to Camp Bentbranch[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xafL7h5lFKI]From the Nald Gate to Camp Black Brush[/ame]

Enemies

Q. How do I determine an enemy's strength?
    A. Moving the target cursor to an enemy will not only display its name, but a colored icon that represents the target's relative strength.

Red : Very tough (there are several shades of red, the darker the red, the tougher the opponent)

Orange : Tough

Yellow : Even match

Green : Decent challenge

Blue : Easy prey

*If the player is in a party, the icon will adjust to the strength of the party. The same is true if the target is in a party.

Class Rank

Q. Why is leveling classes important?
    A. The following are examples of the benefits awaiting those who continue to raise their levels:

- New chapters in the main scenario will become available
    - Class-specific quests will become available
    - Higher-rank class-specific guildleves will become available
    - The effectiveness of weapons and gear will increase
    - New actions and abilities will become available

The following is a chart showing the timing at which new quests become available:

* Main scenario content available for play at rank 8 was erroneously displayed as rank 10. The text has been amended. (10/27/2010, 2:00 a.m. PST)

Class Rank_______________Quests______________________Guildleves
    _____________Main Scenario____Class Quests_________Regional_____Local

5.........................X.....................X............................................X.............New
    8.......................New....................X...........................................X................X
    10........................X......................X...........................................X.............New
    13........................X......................X.........................................New............X
    15.....................New......................X...........................................X............New
    20.....................New...................New*.........................................X...........New
    23.......................X.......................X.........................................New**.........X
    25.......................X.......................X...........................................X............New
    26....................New......................X...........................................X..............X
    30.......................X....................New..........................................X............New
    33.......................X......................X..........................................New**........X
    34.....................New....................X............................................X.............X
    35.......................X......................X............................................X...........New
    36.......................X....................New..........................................X..............X
    38....................New.....................X............................................X..............X
    40......................X.......................X............................................X............New
    42....................New......................X...........................................X..............X
    45......................X.......................X............................................X............New
    46....................New.....................X.............................................X.............X

* To trigger class quests, players must have already completed the main scenario quest that is introduced upon achieving class rank 15.
    ** Currently, regional guildleves for Disciples of the Land rank 13 and higher are only available in the following locations:

Class________________________________________City-state
    ________________________Rank 20________Rank 30_________Rank 40

Miner.....................................Limsa Lominsa.................Ul'dah......................Gridania
    Botanist.......................................Ul'dah....................Gridania..................Limsa Lominsa
    Fisher........................................Gridania.................Limsa Lominsa..................Ul'dah

* In conjunction with the version update planned for late November, Disciple of the Land levequests for all ranks will become available in each city-state.
    Last edited by TheGrandMom; 11-08-2010, 11:07 PM.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Re: A Beginner's Guide to Eorzea - Maps & Things (10/25/2010)

Maybe I'm just cynical but all these, "How do I?" updates they keep releasing seem to be S-E's way of saying, "This is an awesome game you're just too thick to enjoy it! Here, let us explain how you should be playing it."

Comment

Dude, seriously, its a guide posted on the forum to help newcomers and people who might be having difficulties with the system, its not a place to be voicing your pissant grievances as we have plenty of threads for that already.

If you have something worthwhile to add or a question to ask, that would be relevant here. Or thank TGM for putting in the effort, even if its just a cut-and-paste job because she clearly wouldn't do it if she didn't care. Even with all the problems FFXIV seems to have, she wants to help other have a good time with it. That's the point of a guide, its why people bother to compile to data in the first place and why TGM posted it- to help other people have fun.
      Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 11-09-2010, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
        *If the player is in a party, the icon will adjust to the strength of the party. The same is true if the target is in a party.
        I wanted to clarify on what this meant in case someone was wondering. Some leves will spawn several creatures and even if they are of varying types, the fact that they spawn together as a group or are linked to each other (so if you aggro one, you'll aggro them all) symbolizes their party status. However, especially on certain leves, like The Swarm and those involving Dodos, the range of difficulties on the mob may be difficult to pin down because they represent a dilution as a group. So, while all 3 mobs in a group may have yellow, there could be one red and one blue in that group. Obviously, the higher you get in ranks, if you're planning on soloing, choose solo and tread with care.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
          Maybe I'm just cynical but all these, "How do I?" updates they keep releasing seem to be S-E's way of saying, "This is an awesome game you're just too thick to enjoy it! Here, let us explain how you should be playing it."
          LuL

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
          99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
          99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Working...
          X