Class Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class Guides

Well, because I'm rather bored atm (and taking a short break from things) I thought I would put up some newbie guides for the various classes, starting with Gladiator. And so without further delay...

Gladiator

Your primary tools are the Sword & Shield, your primary role the tank. But don't let that fool you into thinking you can't also dish out the pain - Unlike the Paladin in FFXI, Gladiators can actually be built up to deal pretty good damage with the right gear, stats and abilities. But for the sake of ease, I'm going to focus on a Paladin-style build for us FFXI folk.

• Primary Stats

Gladiator is probably the trickiest class to balance stat-wise because you need good chunks of 4 vital stats, listed in order of importance:

VIT - Governs defense, but what you're really after here is HP. For Disciples of War, you gain 7~9 HP per point of VIT. The enhanced defense also appears to be much more noticeable than in XI.

DEX - Simply put, like in XI, if you can't hit anything, you won't get any hate. This could taper off at later ranks when more enmity generating abilities become available however. It is still unknown of DEX affects evasion and shield block rate.

MND - MND just barely edges out STR for the #3 slot because unlike in XI, it boosts your maximum MP (by 2-3 for War classes. 7-9 for Magic) while also increasing the potency of healing magic. This bonus applies both to HP gained from restorative magic and curing power for a nice little double-whammy. It also increases magic defense, but the main reason you need this is for survivability (MP & Cures)

STR - Like DEX, if you can't cause any decent damage, you're likely to lose the attention of the enemy quickly. Don't go overboard with this stat, but don't neglect it either. I would say 1~2 points every level tops.

Until more info can be ascertained about some of the other spells like Absorb-Attack, it's probably a safe bet to say you won't need INT at all, and likely not much PIE either since the majority of your magic will be cast upon yourself.

Elemental Resistances: This is very tricky. On the one hand, lots of Fire & Earth will greatly benefit Red Lotus, as well as your crafting & gathering classes (listed below). On the other hand, it will leave you vulnerable to all the other elements, so go with what you feel will work best.

Recommended sub classes:

Conjurer - This is a no-brainer. Conjurer gets Cure, Stoneskin Protect Shell and Raise. The biggest benefit this time around is that there are no longer separate AoE spells in XIV. So as a "Paladin", with enough MND, you can effectively heal the entire party keeping everyone alive and the enemy good and pissed at you. The other spells are mostly just for soloing or buffing when idle.

Marauder - I would strongly recommend getting this up to at least 6 for the Blood Bath ability. It converts a portion of the damage dealt by your next attack into HP, allowing you to spike hate and recover at the same time with a weaponskill. You also get some nice AoE WS early on which can make holding hate against multiple targets much easier.

Lancer - Lancer has several abilities that are just phenomenal. Increased movement speed in battle, faster TP generation, and even an ability to redirect some of the damage you take to another enemy behind you.

Pugilist - Probably the most vital sub class next to Conjurer, Taunt and Second Wind are skills you simply just can't do without. Taunt is basically another provoke, while Second Wind expends TP to restore HP further increasing your survivability. This should be your primary focus as a sub class after learning Cure from Conjurer.

Recommended Support Classes:

Armorer - This really doesn't need any explanation. Make and service your own armor.

Blacksmith - If you want to get anywhere as an armorer, you'll need to take up Blacksmithing & Goldsmithing to be able to make the materials you'll need as an armorer, as well as your own weaponry. Carpenter and Leatherworker are also good subcrafts to support blacksmithing, but if that's too much work just make friends who can deliver the parts you need.

Miner - Another no-brainer. Unless you want to be paying for all your crystals and materials, I strongly recommend taking up miner to fuel your metalcraft.
    Last edited by TheGrandMom; 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: Class Guides

How about you put up the guides under the appropriate sections so they are easier to find. There is a Gladiator section.

Moving thread....
    Last edited by TheGrandMom; 10-01-2010, 10:41 AM.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Subbing any abilities means it's going to lose a lot of effectiveness. Cure can't be used as an area-effect spell, when subbed, and Second Wind wont heal you for nearly as much as it would for a Pugilist.

Armorcrafters will have to rank up Leatherworking, eventually, as at level ten recipes begin including that skill. Goldsmithing may be nice for crafting copper from Yellow Copper, and Brass, but I don't think it's of much help to Blacksmiths or Armorsmiths.

Definitely take Mining, if not simply for the money you can make with it. It's probably the best gathering job to take up, at the moment, because people want better weapons and armor.

Comment

Armorer uses precious metals as well as (regular?) metals, so you will need Goldsmithing. And since you're taking up mining you may as well anyway (plus it means you can make some of the more annoying/rare parts)

Didn't know Cure can't AoE when subbed, thanks. But I stand by leveling pugilist for taunt and second wind. Subbed skills are affected by their affinity with other classes, so they transfer over better to some over others. Besides, having an extra healing ability is always nice, especially for a measly 250 TP. Remember that your MP is limited, but TP isn't i.e. DNC logic at work here.
        sigpic

Comment

Taunt will probably be helpful, but even with Provoke, alone, I have trouble managing targets and abilities. Things are a little bit more difficult when I'm using single-target abilities against groups of enemies. I think they're going to lower the number of enemies you fight as you progress, but I could have really used Taunt in the last few levequests I particiapted in, which were levels 20+.

Comment

You failed to mention subcrafts of crafts.

Armory - requires (yes, requires) Leatherworking, Weaving, Goldsmithing
            Blacksmith - requires Leatherworking, Goldsmithing (and possibly Alchemy)

Miner is not required but would be useful. You could also harvest logs and sell them (or trade them) for ores.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
              Armory - requires (yes, requires) Leatherworking, Weaving, Goldsmithing
              You're killin me here!!
              Originally posted by Feba
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              Originally posted by DakAttack
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                You're killin me here!!
                My failure rate as an armorer in beta was so insane that I was in disbelief. Then I read an article by a Japanese player on his blog which stipulated that when he leveled multiple crafts, he saw very little failure rate. Looking ahead at recipes, it won't be a surprise to find goldsmithing in some form required to make the more elaborate armor (and therefore, the "good shit")

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
                  You failed to mention subcrafts of crafts.
                  No I didn't.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                    No I didn't.
                    Someone is trying to pull a fast one over me...

Comment

Carpenter and Leatherworker are also good subcrafts to support blacksmithing, but if that's too much work just make friends who can deliver the parts you need.
                      Note that I didn't edit the post, and it looks like TGM just stylized it. I just didn't go into huge detail. Should actually re-word that a little better but my point was while those are very good crafts, it only furthers the cycle of job-dependency (or whatever you choose to call it) and I know quite a few people who are already flipping out over how many jobs they "need" to level to be self-sufficient.

So far my only complaints in that regard are 1) need a hell of a lot of crystals and 2) inventory space.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...onal/character

Nef's Skillset

>.> also yeah my skillset for sword is currently blank, but I was Gladiator in OB
                      sigpic

Comment

So far my only complaints in that regard are 1) need a hell of a lot of crystals and 2) inventory space.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...onal/character
                        That link only points to your character (your own) and does not point to anything specifically. If you do character search on yourself, however, and copy the link from the search result, it should have an id tied to it.

FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

^ My character.

Comment

How effective is MND at boosting heals? Does it affect Second Wind and Bloodbath? Also, is PIE better to reduce magic damage as a tank or you still recommend MND? I'm gonna redo some stats for my GLA tonight (R16) and figure out how to solo things properly. Group work can wait till R20 since hardly anyone is on to do things with and I rather pug with people that have some experience under their belt since my time online is very limited and cannot be wasted.

Comment

It's pretty noticeable. But the fact that you get MP AND boosted cures is what makes it good.

However, again, since DoW only get 3 MP per MND (mages get 7, and the reverse is true) you don't want to overload it. Also I should amend the OP - STR also affects damage reduction when blocking with a shield (which makes no sense but whatever...)

Piety also affects your chances of resisting magic attacks, though really I still wouldn't touch it unless you're going to be subbing some spells like absorb attack.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X