This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is leveling WHM to 75 a bad choice?

Hey guys, sorry if I'm asking too many questions >.> but I realize that this forum is probably better to ask questions in than killing ifrit or allakhazam. I logged on this morning and was discussing with my ls the possibility of different subs for whm. Soon after that they kinda got on a kick about how whm wasn't really desired for endgame and that It's going to be really difficult for me to get to 75 because people prefer rdm more for healers. I just want to know if leveling whm to 75 will be a bad choice. I really enjoy this class and it's probably my favorite, but I dont want to take the time to level it if I'm not going to be needed in endgame events. I dont really mind a slower leveling process as long as I can find a place for endgame activities. I really thought whm would be a good class to level before my ls made it look like poop compared to rdm .

Wow, I kinda said the same thing 50 times. oh well,

I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement and an honest outlook on whm desirability and if I'm going to be able to find a spot in endgame.

Thanks

Maeru

Re: Is leveling WHM to 75 a bad choice?

Originally posted by Maeru View Post
    Hey guys, sorry if I'm asking too many questions >.> but I realize that this forum is probably better to ask questions in than killing ifrit or allakhazam. I logged on this morning and was discussing with my ls the possibility of different subs for whm. Soon after that they kinda got on a kick about how whm wasn't really desired for endgame and that It's going to be really difficult for me to get to 75 because people prefer rdm more for healers. I just want to know if leveling whm to 75 will be a bad choice. I really enjoy this class and it's probably my favorite, but I dont want to take the time to level it if I'm not going to be needed in endgame events. I dont really mind a slower leveling process as long as I can find a place for endgame activities. I really thought whm would be a good class to level before my ls made it look like poop compared to rdm .

Wow, I kinda said the same thing 50 times. oh well,

I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement and an honest outlook on whm desirability and if I'm going to be able to find a spot in endgame.

Thanks

Maeru
    Endgame linkshells always need good white mages. Other jobs you might consider leveling for endgame are black mage and bard. Word of warning though, if you decide to level bard, don't be surprised if that's all you ever come as.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

It's important that you understand that endgame and exp/merit pts are different animals. I would think that for most endgame activities, people would prefer WHM as main healer over RDM. However, in merit/exp situations, most would prefer to have a RDM as a main healer.

People will want to have you around as 75 WHM when doing endgame events like sky, dynamis, HNM, ZNM, etc, but you may struggle to get PTs for fast merits (and may have to settle for soloing merits via Campaign Battles).

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
      WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Truece View Post
        It's important that you understand that endgame and exp/merit pts are different animals. I would think that for most endgame activities, people would prefer WHM as main healer over RDM. However, in merit/exp situations, most would prefer to have a RDM as a main healer.

People will want to have you around as 75 WHM when doing endgame events like sky, dynamis, HNM, ZNM, etc, but you may struggle to get PTs for fast merits (and may have to settle for soloing merits via Campaign Battles).
        well, it seems with level sync you could get merits in a lower level pt, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Maeru View Post
          well, it seems with level sync you could get merits in a lower level pt, no?
          Yes, you can, but you will get overlooked for the trendy tp burn PTs that get insane amounts of experience/limit points per hour. (not to say that such a PT can't exist with a WHM in it, just that most people won't give it a chance)

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
          WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

People prefer to have RDM as a healer in merit parties due to the meleeburn mentality embedded in the playerbase after the ToaU expansion mainly because RDM has Convert and Refresh. Refresh is a powerful form of MP regen and Convert lets the RDM essentially refill their MP bar for free every 10 minutes.

RDM also covers all mage duties with one party slot so the meleeburn elitists can fill the rest of the party with DDs and dump al the healing/nuking/enfeebling/crowd control on the RDM and blame them when it hits the fan.

People like to have WHMs healing in events because WHMs are the only ones with access to AoE Barspells and things such as Regen III and the hugely overrated Raise III. WHM gets access to the higher tier cures, regens and raises before other classes which makes them the first choice to heal in level capped fights. White Mages are the only one of a select number of classes that can cure status effects. Scholars, Dancers and Red Mages (WHM sub) are more efficient at it but having people who can cure status effects is always welcome in all parties.

White Mages also get access to Erase which is quite possibly one of the best and most used spells in the game. This thing will erase almost all debuffs and just about every mob you fight after getting it at Lv32 will use some sort of Debuff on the party. Forget Haste, that's not even essential to cast anyway, anyone who knows a thing about White Mage will tell you that Erase is as important as your cure spells.
            Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
            Reiko Takahashi
            - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

The advent of /SCH has changed things a bit in terms of endgame for WHM, making it much more desirable. Previously the main reason for RDM being so popular was the fact that in TP burns you really aren't curing all that much, mostly just Hasting and Regen, but with the ability to keep their own MP pools full RDMs required little to no downtime.

Now WHM/SCH can pretty much match the self-sufficiency of a RDM between Sublimation, Light Arts MP savings, and the overall better efficiency of MP > HP restored...it's coming back into style a bit now.

As far as endgame(this needs to be separated from merit parties, merits =! endgame), the only time RDM was really preferred at endgame was in low-man situations, but again, now that WHM is more self-sufficient that is becoming a thing of the past, as they can do the curing better and faster, and leave the RDMs do handle actual RDM duties.

The only issue with taking WHM to 75 is the same as with BRD, as always I recommend to stop around 60 and ask yourself if you actually like playing WHM, as once you enter an endgame shell as a WHM main, you're very likely going to end up playing WHM the majority of the time, even after you level another job.
              Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

When I attend events with my endgame shell, I am usually on whm or blm. There are an ASSLOAD of rdms in endgame. So many that getting into a shell with rdm as your only 75 can be a challenge. Ya they can level easy in the later levels but there is a LOT of competition out there for a good endgame shell AND equips once you're in. As others have articulated though, endgame and exping are 2 entirely different things. In later levels of exp, people prefer rdm. It doesn't mean you won't get a party but it does mean that the exp will be slower. It doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means you have to be patient and knowledgable. You are also in an ls so they should support you and sync with you for exp pts and help you level.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

My WHM seems to have been replaced by scholars and or RDM's at every turn, /sigh it's no wonder i turned to PvP for enjoyment.

Comment

I think there needs to be a way to remind people they are about to post in a very out-dated topic before they get to post. Especially when what they are about to post has no relevance.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                    ------
                    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
                      I think there needs to be a way to remind people they are about to post in a very out-dated topic before they get to post. Especially when what they are about to post has no relevance.
                      And especially when they keep doing it.
                      sigpic
                      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

soulblade don't listen to them..........epic necro!!!!!

Comment

There isn't and won't be a way to "warn" people so how about the people that consistently whine about it just ignore the threads that get necro'd! W00T a solution! Honestly its more irritating than the necro is. So my advice is.....

and move on!

Thread closed.
                          Originally posted by Feba
                          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                          Originally posted by DakAttack
                          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X