WHM Maat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHM Maat

Yes it is another Maat rant thread. I've lost to him 3 times in a row now and honestly I'm completely out of ideas (and gil) so I've been trying to find all the help I can.

I've mainly been using the kiting method because I still need to cap Divine magic and all I have for Reposing are a Light Staff and AF legs. First fight was something like this:

Gear: Earth Staff w/ Spear Strap (can't find any other useful ones that are in stock on the AH), Bibiki Seashell, Healer's Cap, Ajari Necklace (For +MND and a bit of +AGI), Bat Earring x2, Noble's Tunic, Healer's Mitts, Phalanx Ring x2, White Cape (Blue Cape reduces my HP so that was the only spare cape I had in my MH), Qiqrin Sash, Healer's Pantaloons, Healer's Duckbills
    Meds Used: Managed to use 2 blinding potions and a Hi Potion before dying
    Food: Tav Taco which boosted my Def up to the high 400's (was all pretty useless since he was hitting me for 90 a time at Hundred Fists speed)
    Basically I tried to kite him around the arena like the guide on wiki suggests and if failed spectacularly. He opened with Banishga III which destroyed Blink and Stoneskin and I was swiftly pummeled into the ground. I was interupted every single time I tried to cast and was usually forced to keep moving regardless to avoid weapon skills if I even tried to use a Cure higher than Cure II. He silenced me at the one time I got the chance to stand still long enough to use a Cure spell and me pummeled me into the ground with Asuran Fists when I tried to use an Echo Drop.

Second attempt with with pretty much the exact same gear setup but a guide on Alla suggested kiting him up and down the arena and flashing him as you pass. It also suggested opening up with Slow instead of paralyze. So I entered the next battle, buffed up, Dia'd his shadows away, slow stuck but wore within seconds, as did Flash. I lasted a bit longer kiting him up and down. I still got interupted every time I attempted to cast anything other than Dia or Flash and died to a Holy/Banishga III spam when passing him.

Third attempt was in +Eva gear, my eva skill is only a few levels from being capped and I heard it helps a lot. I loaned various peices of Crow Gear from ingame friends and I managed to scrape together the whole set minus the hat. Went into the BC, buffed up, and used a Jack o Lantern as suggested by someone ingame for more +Eva. None of this worked and he was hitting for about 120 a hit this time because I had no defense at all. The only attacks he "missed" were the ones trying to get through stoneskin. Fight probably lasted less than 30 seconds.

So after 3 failed attempts I'm down to my last 3k gil and really out of ideas. Can anyone give me some advice on this fight? It wouldn't be so bad if I could cast but he always seems to manage to interupt every spel I attempt to cast even with Aquaviel up and my AF boots on (Enhancing Magic is something like 210-215). Is there anything I can so to stop this or am I going to have to blow a ton of cash on Elixirs for healing? He hits for nearly as much as the Hi-Potions heal me for.

Anyone have any advice for me because right now I have no idea what to do
    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
    Reiko Takahashi
    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
    Haters Gonna Hate

Re: WHM Maat

Do you have hexastrike if you do get a opo neck then use sleep potion then you can have a little help with that.

Comment

Looks like you need more defense gear, you don't seem to have much.

Did you cast protect iv?

Also, running is probably a bad idea as that's what triggers him to cast more it seems.

Might want to try the repose trick, though I won before repose so can't comment on it.
      Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
      Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
      Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
      Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
      Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

DrKray: My club skill is something like 135 so I don't even have True Strike. Maat also uses Benediction and likes to use Paralyze and Slow so the melee option is an all or nothing thing. If all else fails I might just look into that.

Susurrus: problem is WHM doesn't get anything really useful defense-wise. To put it into perspective the Noble's Tunic has 40 Def which if I remember right is the same as the Holy Breastplate which is regarded as the best WHM DEF gear. What other DEF gear can I use? I ask you to be realistic and NOT recommend gear that will cost several hundred thousand gil because I honestly don't have the time to farm that amount of gil.

WHM's Evasion caps at 200 at 75. Mine is somewhere in the 180 region (I think) so I've noticed no benefit other than a free HP back to WG when I tried the Eva gear build

My buffs: Protectra and Shellra IV, Stoneskin, Blink, Aquaveil, BarSilencera (doesn't seem to help at all), Baraera (does seem to help resist silence), Haste, whatever bonuses a Tav Taco gives added on to that.

I don't really bother with RR. You lose no exp on these fights and Maat aggro's the second you RR anyway. I used it on the third fight and died the instant I confirmed the raise.

Standing still will just get me killed faster since it lets him use his TP moves. Combo hit me for 450+ in the first fight when I stood still for a moment. And at least when he's casting he isn't hitting you so I can at least maybe get a flash spell off before he starts pummelling me again.

I would love to try the Repose strategy but looking at the time it's going to take to farm the gil for the +MAccgear and cap my Divine Magic (it has slowed down a LOT since it passed the 200 mark) I could probably have levelled SAM to 66 and done that Maat fight

Do you need any more details about what I did?
        Reiko Takahashi
        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Try to die, not so close to where he originally stands, i think he wanders back to his original spot?

Also, you're looking way too much into DEF gear. That 5 DEF from Holy Breastplate will not make or break the fight. And nor will missing 20 or 30~ DEF (DEF is entirely broken towards the end levels. It helps, but its effect are minimal)

You just need to practice kiting a bit. When he casts a big spell on you or uses a spell that takes a bit longer to cast than usual, either keep running or attempt to re-apply stoneskin.

If you can, video your attempts and put it on youtube or something, we need more analysis to determine what's wrong. By all standards you should win after a couple of attempts.

What did you open your fights with? Paralyse and Slow will help greatly if it lands, but Silence makes him more dangerous. And if you're pulling Maat from range it should never catch up to you that quickly, and nor should Banishga 3 hit you (this is where I don't understand how it managed to hit you. I don't recall Maat being able to fast cast, and you should be running by now).

Maybe a Hermes Quencher (medicine, lets you flee for like 15-20 seconds?) will help out towards the end when you need to get out the way, but don't be afraid to use Benediction as well.
          [LadyKiKi]
          Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
          .:|The Prototype BST|:.
          Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

I said in my first post that in my first attempt Banishga III hit me because I made the mistake of trying to kite him around the arena in circles instead of back and forth.

I opened fight1 with just Para that got adsorbed by his blink. In 2 and 3 and used Dia to get rid of his blink then hit Paralyze and Slow. The time he did hit me with banishga III in fight 2 was when I was passing him. I also can't recall a single time where Maat has tried to cast a spell that is long enough for me to Cure without being interrupted or but stoneskin back up.

I really wish I could video an attempt. I'm doing exactly what the vast majority of guides are saying yet still losing which is why I'm confused. I only have access to FFXI until Saturday night so in all likelihood I won't be able to do another fight until next week, especially consdiering I have to farm before I can afford any more meds and get another testi.
            Reiko Takahashi
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

In this instance... open with Diaga (gets rid of all blink) then quickly paralyse or slow it, then run. But if Maat casts Flash after you diaga, don't bother, just run.
              [LadyKiKi]
              Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
              .:|The Prototype BST|:.
              Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

I fought Maat before Repose as well, so I can't give any advise on that strategy. Took me 2 tries to beat him, & on the 2nd try I won with him at 80% life left.

The food you are taking is good, gives good Def. If you don't have a Holy Breastplate just stay with the Nobles. Honestly for weapon choice I'd go with Earth Staff or Wind Staff (for +eva). I don't remember all the equipment I used but I do know I had 2 Bat Earrings.

I never did the Kiting method, seems a waste of time to me. The point of WHM Maat is to take dmg not eva or give it. Get potions, refresh drinks, possibly a Blink Band.

Go in naked, buff up completely, then just stand & smack away at him. The only time I ran from Maat was when he was casting & I wanted a few more seconds to get my own spell in. I never cast any offensive spells, only defensive. You said you never had time to cast Cures, try for Cure IIs instead of Cure IVs, less time to cast. I had to Benediction but after a few minutes of taking his hits he said I passed the test.

As for the spells he casts, I got lucky in that he didn't spam on me in either fight. I'm not sure what your MND is but the higher it is the more resists you might get. Though as WHM, you shouldn't take too much dmg from Banishga anyway.
                My siggy

Comment

Cap Divine magic in besieged and then open with Banisha > Repose.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                    I would love to try the Repose strategy but looking at the time it's going to take to farm the gil for the +MAccgear and cap my Divine Magic (it has slowed down a LOT since it passed the 200 mark) I could probably have levelled SAM to 66 and done that Maat fight
                    You shouldn't need a whole lot of gear for that. If you have your AF1 pants, a Light staff, and maybe even a Divine torque, you should be fine stacking MND in the other slots. Only other piece of gear that I can think of that I used was Nashira Turban, but that's 75. If your Divine is capped, you should be fine, as Maat is an Even Match and buffs/debuffs should stick/resist accordingly. If it's not, do like Malacite said and spam the hell out of it in Besieged. You can spam, in order: Holy, Banish 3, Banish 2, Banish, Flash, rinse repeat, cast the -ga spells if there's no other mobs nearby. I capped Divine before I capped healing in Besieged.

Telling someone to not run is kind of silly, to whoever said that. I'd rather have him casting shit than hitting me, also, his casting time is an excellent time to recast my own shit, or get more distance on him. Maat hits like a fucking truck, and he will bust through maxed Stoneskin in two hits with no problem. I'd rather have him cast something retarded like Flash or Aquaveil than have him smack my face in.

I did die and reraise when I fought him. I made sure to die back by the start area so I could get back up. This also still counts as your "fight" time, or at least it did for me.

This is how my fight went, step by step:
                    • Enter
                    • Buff up, cast: SS, Blink, Pro V, Shellra V, and Reraise.
                    • Run up, cast Repose on Maat, and his Blink ate it. (Damn it!)
                    • Ran like hell until the recast was up. Luckily for me, he stopped to cast something retarded like Banish 1 that didn't even break my Stoneskin.
                    • Cast Repose. Stuck with no problem.
                    • Ran back, rebuffed, and waited for him to wake up.
                    • Maat wakes up.
                    • I cast Repose on him again, and his second shadow from the Blink he had up before absorbs my Repose again! (><)
                    • Kite again, this time he Asuran Fists me in the face and I die.
                    • Wait for him to run back to his start point, and RR.
                    • Rebuff myself, run up.
                    • Cast repose, no resist. I was prepared to die again if he resisted, and keep trying until he gave up or I timed out.
                    • Repose stuck, ran back to the start and rested.
                    • Maat wakes up. I'm thinking to myself, "Oh, shit, this is where I die again!"
                    • Maat gives up.

So, learning from my mistakes, pull with Banishga, and stand at MAX cast range so you can get your Repose off before he beats your face in.

Do cast Reraise, and give it another shot. After you died the first time, I would have recommended at least trying to get back up and Repose him and see what happens. Your down time due to your death was still counting as the "time" required to survive him.
                    sigpic
                    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

I'll try that. I've heard from a number of WHM friends that they did it with an all Eva build so it wouldn't hurt trying that out while I'm working on capping my divine magic. I have a number of BLU and melee RDM friends who are happy to loan out what gear they can.

I got really unlucky with getting slow to stick on Maat in my fights. It either got resisted a wore pretty quickly because I had no inventory left to macro in MND gear for it due to all the meds I was carrying.

Looks like I'm going to have to shell out the cash for the Holy and Banish III scrolls and pray that Beseiged falls on the days I can get access to FFXI
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

>.> you went and attacked Maat without casting Aquaveil?
                        sigpic

Comment

^^ This

Aquaveil is vital to this fight. Also I think you should forget about Repose and just go in straight tanking like everyone has since the level cap was raised to 75. I did Maat at 66, straight tanked him, used Divine Seal and Benediction where necessary, and there was no problems. It sounds like by trying to sleep him you're adding an extra element of complication that gives more room for things to fuck up.

Comment

How is that fucking anything up? If you sleep him, you don't really have to do shit else. Okay, if it resists then, try to straight tank, but it surely doesn't hurt to try to get him to sleep because it makes the fight ridiculously easy. I only screwed up because I forgot to wipe Blink off of him.
                            sigpic
                            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

And you didn't Aquaveil to prevent spell interruptions from the impending face smashing >.>

I agree that it's silly to not even try to sleep him though.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X