This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capping healing skill

Hey all, after much soul searching, I haved decided to become a BRD. My plan of action being:

Take RDM to 15 (I only chose this for the pure reason that it is so so so much easier levelling than a BLM 1 - 10)

Switch to WHM as main and go to 30 (possibly 37 to make it easier in the long run)

Do the BRD quest, switch to that as main and bam, get to 75 over the year.

Now I believe that with every job you do, do it to the best of your ability, even if you're only doing it to get something else.

The question: Yes, I am a level 5 RDM and yes I don't have any +MND gear as of yet, just melee stuff, and I was wondering how important it is to cap my healing skill for when I start partying in the dunes. I noticed I do roughly 11 hp a cure whereas I have seen them do 30 hp consistently in the dunes.
    Does MND moreso influence more hp recovered per cure or does healing skill, or a combo of each. I realised that I was level 5, and 0 healing skill even though I heal myself...every so often. I have capped evasion, shield, parry and sword skills from my THF days so it makes it so so much easier. I decided to skill up my healing just by healing myself heaps and I realise it's gonna take a little while to reach cap and was just wondering if it was worth it. Thanks

Re: Capping healing skill

as my own personal experiance (being an rdm/whm for 15 of 35 lvls) i wouldnt worry about capping your healing skill. If you have already decided to got support and lvl you whm you healing skill will basically max itself out pretty quickly. The time you need to stand out your mog house and spam /ma Cure <me> is if you are like 5-6 lvls below your cap (if you are lvl 10 for instance and your healing skill hasnt gone up since lvl5). I have never had a problem (in a pt) keeping my healing skill maxed as a whm.

Welcome to the world of the bards, have fun with it

RNG67 BRD66 THF55 NIN35 WHM31 RDM35 WAR24 PLD30

Comment

Healing skill is very important at lower levels. If a lizard is hitting your tank 25 damage consistently and you can only cure for 13, even if you cast as fast as you can your tank's gonna take a dirt nap pretty quickly. The skill will pretty much take care of itself as you party, but I'd suggest capping Cure I as soon as you can.

Mnd and healing magic skill both affect how much your cures heal, so you can buy some cheap mnd items like Justice Badge to give you a little boost, but your skill is the main factor. All Cure spells have a soft cap on how much they can do, meaning once your Cure I heals for 30 points, nothing you do is going to make it heal for more than one or two more points. If your Cure I heals in the high 20s, you're good to go. You probably don't even need to cap your skill to reach that number.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I agree with Taskmage. Your healing skill is important, especially for a sub. If your gaining lvls on rdm, it might be more difficult to raise it. Whms raise theirs naturally from all the healing. As you lvl rdm, put it in your comment that you don't mind healing. This should help get you pts where you can raise it naturally.

You can also get the Justice Badge from an easy quest in Windurst.
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
          I agree with Taskmage. Your healing skill is important, especially for a sub. If your gaining lvls on rdm, it might be more difficult to raise it. Whms raise theirs naturally from all the healing. As you lvl rdm, put it in your comment that you don't mind healing. This should help get you pts where you can raise it naturally.

You can also get the Justice Badge from an easy quest in Windurst.
          Justice badge definitely. Also pick up a "Mist Silk Cape" if you have extra gil or time to invest camping "Spiny Spipi". Zealot Mitts do wonders for MND+ (but cost around 60k on Unicorn) but can be used through BRD, RDM AND WHM if you want.

When you're leveling BRD make sure you grab MP+ gear as well. My BRD was decked out in all the MND+ and MP+ I could find so I could get a couple more cure's fired off. Energy Earrings are a plus... and a Hairpin (or +1) should do the trick.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
            I went out farming Spipi and to my surprise my LS leader came out to help me (such a nice guy!^^) and after about 40 minutes of crawler decimation, he popped...veeery close to another camper mind you, but thanks to the boss being lvl 60 THF/HUN, we got him and I got it first try ^^. I did the quest for Justice Badge and now going to go to Sandy, get me some fame for Friar's Rope.

A bit later after that I decided to camp Hoo Mjuu the Torrent, I managed to get there as someone killed it so I waited for an hour. Everyone appeared to leave for some reason, and right then it popped...so I run up and voke it.

Ok fight was going ok...then 3 adds came along...so I /sh for a cure and/or help with the adds. A 75/37 BLM/WHM comes along, see's who I'm fighting and stands by until I die...then claims it for the kill. Needless to say I was FREAKING pissed, I only had to hit it two more times. I apologise to my LS for my little outburst ><, but they understood where I was coming from. Something like this turns me off becoming a BRD/WHM if people are going to be this inconsiderate.
            I personally would see to it they got the kill because they earned it (except if your a bot/gil seller then just die).

Anyways BRD is still a little ways off so I have time to get it, I don't feel like paying over a million for it so hopefully next time I'll have better luck...and a potion or two on me

Comment

when it comes to NM, you have to be really lucky if some random rival actually helps you.
              NM is a competitive and tedius hunt... so much that 99% of the people will be so happy to see you die and claim the NM for themselves.
              And on top of that, this mjuu is heavilied camped with gilsellers. they care no one seriously.
              There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
              but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
              transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

On my PLD, 1 point of MND increased the HP I recovered with Cures by 1 point when my Cure II and Cure III were uncapped. So, yeah, I'd say get +MND wherever you can, you'll notice the difference.

Comment

I found it easier to cap my whm healing by healing myself after every battle and anyone near with cookies resting to get Mp up. my mule is a lvl 11 whm and has skill capped, he is also curing for 26 a time, this will be my sub for rdm when i get my mule to have sub job skill. I have justice batde and 2 rings that give Mind+2 and it works a treat.

Comment

The fastest way to cap your skill is to have a higher-levelled friend tank an IT undead mob and let you spam Cure I on it over and over. You'll gain skill-ups as if you were nuking/enfeebling.

Comment

Lol, capping healing is quite a good way to get 5 or so people to add you to their friend list in one night. I went down into Inner Horutoto Ruins (sp?) with someone offering my services as a heal bot not wanting to join a party. Well a couple more came down so I just started healing them all and they were so greatful lol. I realised this is what I really want to do (full on support job) because it was actually alot more fun than I had with any melee, and healing a person while they take a tough and even matched mob while I take hits from a EM was just fun ^^ and keeping and everyone alive I might add.

Thanks for all your replies it's been extremely helpful to me.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure how feasible it is at your level.... but one of the greatest ways to skill up Healing Magic is to cast is repeatedly on Undead. I've done this on my RDM at higher levels in the Eldieme Necropolis and have gotten very nice results. Again, at your level it isn't very feasible, but if you do end up fighting some undead you can skill up a bit there.
                        RDM 75 - SMN 72 - WHM 37 - BLM 37 - DRK 37 -
                        Bastok Rank 10 Completed
                        Rise of the Zilart 16 "The Celestial Nexus"
                        Chains of Promathia 8 - 1 "Garden of Antiquity"
                        Treasures of Aht Urghan 13 "Lost Kingdom"

Comment

Originally posted by Armando
                          The fastest way to cap your skill is to have a higher-levelled friend tank an IT undead mob and let you spam Cure I on it over and over. You'll gain skill-ups as if you were nuking/enfeebling.

^ What he said, i did this a while ago before on IT undead, and i gained a TON of skill ups.

Comment

Well I'm off to the Dunes so maybe I can find me a nice high level to tank me some undead ^^

Comment

Working...
                            X